tipping?

mini said:
How much do you tip? That's the question.

If the attention is good: the waiter does what you expect. 8% to 10%. If the waiter is an ass I call for the metre, and leave nothing at all.

If the attention is good+plus i leave from 10% to 15%

Tipping shouldn't be more than 5% if there is a service charge. I travel far and wide and can't think of another city where restaurant charge a service charge. Sorry, some restaurants in Barcelone do.

fred mertz said:
Tipping shouldn't be more than 5% if there is a service charge. I travel far and wide and can't think of another city where restaurant charge a service charge. Sorry, some restaurants in Barcelone do.

It's common in Italy & it happens in Portugal too.

Yes but waiters don't get the cubierta (I'm assuming that's what you mean when you say service charge).

So that 5 or 10 pesos a person goes into the owners pocket, not the waiters.

fred mertz said:

There's a difference between the tip and the charge, here known as "servicio de mesa". The last one includes mainly the bread basket, some butter, cheese, ..

Some people think wrongfully this is the tip.

Back