To Rent in CABA: Mission Almost Imposible Waitlists exceeds Offer

Rich One

Registered

" To rent a home continues to be an odyssey in CABA, where demand far exceeds supply, which is scarce. From the Real estate sector they argue that it is hardly necessary to publish a property in neighborhoods where the values are not so high, because it is rented immediately among the interested parties who make up a long waiting list that those registered and some developers in the sector have in their possession. that operate in the locative scenario.

It is a challenge to rent of a home for a family with two or three children. In the main specialized portals there are only about 700 properties, of which half are studio apartments or one room (they range from $38,000 per month). With three or four rooms (starting at $70,000 per month) it is almost impossible to get a unit at a reasonable price."

We were curious to see an apt. For rent on Bulnes u Güemes ,3 amb. ~55 SQ. Metres asking $72,000 pesos (2 yr rent) . Realtor said if you want to qualify you need to make a deposit right now...than we'll check your guarantee/income etc... etc...we left and there was a lineup on Bulnes to see it....maddness! ( P.s it was a crappy 2nd flr. Street facing narrow apt.! )

We were curious to see an apt. For rent on Bulnes u Güemes ,3 amb. ~55 SQ. Metres asking $72,000 pesos (2 yr rent) . Realtor said if you want to qualify you need to make a deposit right now...than we'll check your guarantee/income etc... etc...we left and there was a lineup on Bulnes to see it....maddness! ( P.s it was a crappy 2nd flr. Street facing narrow apt.! )
Watever my landlord says. I'll say Yes. Or be out in the cold..?. Not true, eviction may take years. Also if you have minors at home or have a handicap. Not a chance. Rent increases 25% plus semi-annualy ?

I just signed a lease on a 3 bed, 2 bath apartment and boy let me tell you, it was hell, looking from November through February, and my budget was ample compared to what most Argentines can afford, and had to give up my wish list of a balcony or terraza (I got a huge french balconies in two rooms though, and tons of windows, so I can have lots of plants, but still.)

I saw some sad listing, 60K for a 1 bed + den that had no outside windows, only facing the pulmón, shit boxes with cabinets clearly water damaged falling apart, mold, etc. and I realized they don't need to fix things because someone will be desperate enough to rent.

This will be my 4th apartment I've rented in Argentina and so far it's shaping up to be the best, but I think we'll stay for 3+ years and try to save for something en pozo or a lot to build a house based on how difficult it is to find a nice place, plus I'm jaded from having to piss away $650 on an insurance policy since we don't have a deed as collateral that just goes away.

I did manage to dollarize the contract too, so my rent isn't going to jump 55% like most people's; inflation has been outpacing the devaluation both official and blue for the last couple of years.

My wife and I will move to the province later this year and have to weigh up our options over her apartment in Once.

Either sell it at a loss due to a building that is under never ending repairs (read damage limitation) and having a kitchen wall half open awaiting Metro Gas approval for the "new" piping, or rent it out to...based on the last three changes in the building...prostitutes or okupas.

Fun times...

So what is behind this situation? And what is happening to short term rentals that tourists like? Same phenomenon?

So what is behind this situation? And what is happening to short term rentals that tourists like? Same phenomenon?

See post # 6 @Rich One & post # 7 @sts7049

Tourists? What are they? As far as I can tell, arrivals and departures at EZE are drastically down on the numbers from two years ago and the regular tourist traps in town seem deserted. Anybody been down Florida recently? I don't think tourists are putting significant pressure on the local housing situation but I'd welcome any evidence to the contrary

Back