Totally Disgusted

chris said:
It never fails that someone brings up the US when Argentina is the subject. Of course there are some rotten apples among the NYPD police but corruption is not the NORM there as it is in Argentina. I suppose even the NYPD police who took bribes have the decency not to leave a woman unconscious while they robbed her of her laptop.

mhhh....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20066524-504083.html

and they get acquitted even if a recording tells that one of the cops admitted he abused the woman
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/19/nypd-cop-arrested-for-rap_n_931674.html

Same in every country of course.

Cops here are likely more corrupted, like the whole society but at least the cop monitoring the camera did what he had to do.
Quite many cops here & around the world do a great job as well, etc.

Lee said:
The same can be said for 99% of all the people in Argentina. :eek:

obviously theres quite a few screwed up things about this country due to the mafia, corrupt government etc...but i notice you seem to be miserable here by all your posts, i'm wondering, why you are living here if you hate it so much???

Yes Lee I agree...you seem to be very negative about BA. So why are you still here???

chris said:
When BA was cheap there were a lot of expats defending Argentina, finding excuses for every problem, saying how it is just as bad in the US. I don't see so much of that anymore.

So true Chris. In fact, I stopped posting/reading this forum for a long time as it seemed like some people were totally out of touch. If you posted something negative about Argentina you'd get them disagreeing with you and defending things or saying the same problems existed in the USA, yadda, yadda.

I only came back again when someone posted the story about that BAFinance guy ripping people off. So I came back.

It seems like people are finally waking up to the fact that these "same types of problems" aren't happening in the USA. Sure the USA has it's fair share of problems and probably always will. But you can't compare it to what is going on in Argentina.

30% yearly inflation, currency controls, locals not being able to use their ATM cards abroad, alarmingly increasing crime.

I still love Argentina and probably always will but NOT blind to what is happening there. Things are deteriorating there rather quickly the past few years and with the 30% a year inflation the next few years probably won't be pretty.

The police and systems are corrupt in every government. The corruption is just at different levels and here in Argentina the corruption is at the lowest level so everyone can see it and knows it and in America the corruption is at a much higher level so they can hide it better. Its funny to hear expats so astonished by corruption. Dont get me wrong corruption is horrible but sadly a part of life.

If you are horrified about cops stealing, Then you must not sleep at night thinking about how many people the cops have killed in the states with tasers. For god sakes they killed old people cause they didnt want to stand up out of a chair and kids who wont listen to their parents. get your dam mind right before you come and bitch about another country. we are suppose to be here to enjoy ourselves and learn a new culture. Government is not the dam culture so stop bitching about it. Go drink some mate , eat dulce de leche , and pratice tango. i am so tired of hearing some expats bitch and cry

The difference is that in the US it happens to other people, here it happens to you. The muggings, the armed robberies, the thefts, the scams. The dulce doesn't sweeten things for long. If you don't like the truth, don't read the thread.

It happens to other people? are you serious .the people it happens to are people like me and you. it could happen to anyone. you my friend are ignorant.

It's more widespread here. It's not just that in the US they hide it better, but a lot of cops here are very amateur... low pay, poor training, not the best candidates, and a blind eye towards a lot of things... so you get what you get. A lot of dirty cops. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying there aren't bad cops in the US as well, but this type of thing is a lot less common. This blatant robbing of a defenseless victim they should be helping? Robbing your house after you ask for help? Openly coming by and asking for bribes? No. Police brutality or the use of tasers is another matter entirely... and that happens here too. I will say cops everywhere like to run red lights. :p

But the fact that you can't trust the police in an emergency is a significant difference.

Indeed, and another big difference is that the legal framework doesn't accord the same rights of self-defense as in the US.

Although the keystone cop vibe of some law enforcement here will feel great if the US keeps ramping up its police state measures.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MorganF Expat Life 69
J Expat Life 43
Back