Totally Paranoid Question: Creative Security Solutions?

regarding guns, i think studies have shown that if criminals think/know that the average person is armed and/or has a gun in their home, then crime goes down.

bottom line is you can't rely on police to protect yourself most times. there is no easy solution but as somebody else said, you will never be able to get the criminals to give up their illegal weapons. so disarming your average law abiding citizen is simply throwing them to the wolves imho.

back to morgan's post, morgan have you already purchased some pepper spray? it might also be good to buy in bulk the items that you use the most in order to reduce time spent on the street, where a potential crime could occur.

We had an armed robbery last year. Now we have a video camera in the inner doorway, I want to put another one outside and a sensor light. We always chain our door. We also use a medieval-looking wooden barricade. It's impossible to enter the front door when that's in place.
The burglar alarm has a panic button, I didn't dare press it during our robbery though as 1. I wasn't 100% sure if it made a noise or not (of course it's silent), and 2. I wanted the guy to be able to exit quickly and not have a siege situation if the police blocked the front door.

redrum said:
regarding guns, i think studies have shown that if criminals think/know that the average person is armed and/or has a gun in their home, then crime goes down.

bottom line is you can't rely on police to protect yourself most times. there is no easy solution but as somebody else said, you will never be able to get the criminals to give up their illegal weapons. so disarming your average law abiding citizen is simply throwing them to the wolves.

if all the people use guns, then criminals uses machine guns. Remember the 2 guys with kalashnikovs and full body armor who used to robb banks in the us and shooted to the police for many hours until they got killed?

In fact, they just work in numeric superiority. Police men dies mainly when they are not working, they have the duty to be armed, they face robbers in numerical inferiority and they ussually kill one criminal, hurt a second one and got killed.

On the other hand, bobby etchecopar was robbed in his home and he had guns all over the house like super agent 86: he and his son got many bullets, they killed a criminal, the others escaped. So, seems that it is not such a goog or simple idea to start a shooting.

So, private police is the best way to have an internal job.

Vigilants? Come on! We had them on the 70 s (AAA) and if you just mention you are going to be seen as a nazi.

You need very bad luck to get robbed unless there is an internal job, so, avoid temporary rentals unless they look like good people. I have rented this way and a few times i faced owners that were obvious criminals while i was looking an appartment for my dad who lives abroad. So, renting might be a mouse tramp. If there is somebody called "blanca", they are criminals for sure.

The cameras are an excelent idea to avoid being ambushed.

To choose properly where do you live is the best option, plus to have low profile.

And if you buy a gun, buy something that allow to shoot straigh without having to take off the secures. A .38 short or a glock or a baby dessert eagle are available in the local market. Regards

Bajo_cero2

The North Holywood shootout happened in '97, hardly a trend setter.
That lasted 44 minutes, not hours. 2 BG vs 300 cops.

Criminals almost always use numeric superiority, choice of location, violence and surprise in their favour. Not much we can do about or against it.

Etchecopar got lucky, but not before they threatened to kill his family and were in the process of trying to execute them.
If we know what went on is because he was armed and able to defend himself and his loved ones.
Condemning his actions seems like having a bunch of murderous SOBs break into your home was something natural and acceptable.

Shit happens.
Shit happening way too often doesn't seem to bother the powers that be. But it is terribly annoying, disruptive and traumatic to us peasants.

Suggest you research your guns a bit more before giving advise.
It's not the gun, it's the training and preparedness. Just my 2cents.

i mentioned etchecopar's case because this is what a real shooting looks like. And i compared him with super agent 86 becase here is unusual to have so many guns around the house.

So, my conclusion is that the best strategy is to prevent a robb or a shooting.

I agree with you regairding training if you have a gun.

I defended a gendarmeria commando some years ago. He was intercepted by 3 criminals when he was parking the car in Moron. He knew they were going to kill him as soon as they realize he was a cop so he told them who he was and that he was armed, but he doesn t care the car, they can just take it. One of them was too stress and just shot his pregnant wife. He killed them all and the prosecutor accused him for murder. He was found not guilty. His wife lost the baby.

So, you don t need to become a commando, just to avoid some places helps a lot.
Regards

MorganF said:
2.) Install video cameras by the entrance to the building. The goal of the cameras isn't particularly to record or track; it is to alert potential criminals to the fact that they're being recorded, which might disincentive them from robbing our building, but go for another instead.
May work if the cameras are carefully installed. If not they'll probably get stolen :D

MorganF said:
4.) If there are enough of us in one neighborhood who want to invest money, have our own private security guard to just patrol the 'hood (and whom we, those who pay for him, could call if needed).
We have six (or seven?) reliable guards (well paid, would hate to loose their jobs) within a 6 x 6 blocks neighbourhood (not fenced in) and haven't had one single crime in (at least) the two years I have been living here.

French jurist said:
Since the OP asked for "creative" solutions:

-Have some kind of synthetizer doing a playback of 2 rottweillers barking loudly. Connect the synthetizer to the ring bell + a shock detector on your front door so that everytime someones rings/knocks the door, dogs barking can be heard.

This reminds me of a Canadian friend who suggested I get a CD of birds of prey to silence the fighting roosters that crowed all day and all night...in cages only meters from my house in Mexico.

I bought a CD of birds of prey on line from France.

It did not silence the Mexican roosters.

Apparently, they were not intimidated by the French bird accent.

Instead of crowing "coc-a-doodle-do"they started crowing "we won't be cordon bleu."

At least that's what it sounded like to me from midnight 'til dawn...every few seconds.

In Argentina I also have neighbors with roosters, but I have enough land that my neighbors' roosters can't be heard when I'm sleeping, and they don't start crowing until just before sunrise...which is a wonderful time to wake up to a new day in the pampas.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NYKate Expat Life 27
J Expat Life 43
V Expat Life 12
Back