Totally Paranoid Question: Creative Security Solutions?

Role playing.

I've used it successfully while teaching. It is a premium eye opener.

I suppose the most "creative" security we have is a maniquin my brother-in-law brought over and put in the yard dressed up like a security guard (with reflective vest and all.) He's scared me a few times when he's been moved to a new spot. ;)

el_expatriado said:
The problem with Argentina is that the criminals have more rights than the victims.

If I have a gang of criminals break into my house, they will be fired upon. I am not going to wait and see whether the criminal is armed with a knife or a gun. I won't be asking them politely if they just want to take my things or if they'd also like to rape my wife and torture us before deciding whether to shoot them. I shoot center mass. I don't shoot to wound.

If I have to go jail because of Argentina's F***ED UP legal system, so be it. That's my opinion anyway.

As I explained before, when somebody breaks inside your house you can just shoot him. The difference between day and night is that if it happens during night the judge doesn t even call you while during day he is going to judge if your actions were reasonable. However, unless you shout a nun you are not going to be prosecuted.

Regarding moral consequences, it is up to you to shoot to the legs or to to kill.

Regards

Iznogud said:
Having this type of opinion published on the interwebs is likely to come bite you in the ass if your scenario ever becomes a reality.
Mental and practical preparedness are welcomed. For the other stuff, STFU is the rule. Also a well known rule. Think of MIRANDA: Anything you say...
As you well said, criminals appear to have enforceable rights not available to the common, law abiding citizen.

In fact, it is just the opposite.
When it is probed that somebody committed a crime, then he is sent to jail.
Law abiding citizen shouldn´t go to jail, that´s why those enforzable rights your mentioned exist, they are not there to protect the criminals, they are there to protect law abiding citizens from mistakes, confusion, misunderstandings and corruption of law enforcement agents.
As a former criminal lawyer I saw many times how real state agents makes fake statements at Court for avoding being prosecuted because they rob the deposits or señas. Without those "enforceable rights" honest people who was victim of a fraud would be in jail.
Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
The difference between day and night is that if it happens during night the judge doesn t even call you while during day he is going to judge if your actions were reasonable. However, unless you shout a nun you are not going to be prosecuted.

You seem to have a lot more faith in the judges here than most Argentines. Pretty much every Argentine I know has tried to convince me not to have a gun in the house because they are convinced I will be going to jail if I shoot an intruder. Apparently there are a ton of cases where the victims are sent to jail after shooting their attackers, especially if the people who were doing the home invasion are menores de edad.

A few years ago I went through an unlucky month where I was robbed or attempted robbed once a week- I was trying to come up with some non violent creative ideas and imagined for example booby (bobby?) trapped pockets with permanent ink or mouse trap type of things that would leave pickpocketers in evidence and maybe in a little pain.
Also, I wondered if there are any smells that would actually repel humans (worse than a stinkbomb) and that you could somehow encapsulate and release in case of an assault.
Maybe some kind of button with a GPS that is small and attachable to clothing and that can notify someones phone that you are in danger with the details of your location.
Buy an alternative car, dress it up as a police car and leave it parked outside your door, go around the neighborhood in it dressed up as a police officer. (if they dont believe the act they'll think your crazy and that will scare them off).

Buy those and place them under your shirt.
yhst-67421776749544_2220_502179772

el_expatriado said:
You seem to have a lot more faith in the judges here than most Argentines. Pretty much every Argentine I know has tried to convince me not to have a gun in the house because they are convinced I will be going to jail if I shoot an intruder. Apparently there are a ton of cases where the victims are sent to jail after shooting their attackers, especially if the people who were doing the home invasion are menores de edad.

it is not faith, it is experience and knowledge.
Argentine have the skill to talk too much about what they have no idea about.
Regards

BASailor said:
If that happens, it means that you and the criminal are the same. If not, you'd never think about killing a human being.

No, the reason I'm not the same as a criminal is that I would never break into someone's house and attempt to rob them or commit other criminal activities.

But to the original question - would I be able to kill another human being? I sincerely hope I am never faced with that. However, if someone was breaking into my house and my family was in danger, I don't think I would hesitate to do what was necessary to protect them, up to and including shooting to kill IF necessary. (Obviously my hope would be that it would never escalate to that).

And yes, security is a very real issue. I find stolen cars burned near our home on average 1x a month - often just outside our property. I know people in the neighborhood who have had intruders on their properties and attempted breakins multiple times. I don't ever see police here. We have a lot of security precautions in place - and they're here for a reason. It's not paranoia, it's a rational response to a very real security issue.

Oh and back to the original discussion - I think the thing to remember is that most crimes are crimes of opportunity. So there are some simple steps you can take to mitigate the chances. Get a dog. Given the choice of breaking into an apt with or without a dog, they're going for the apt without a dog. Put up alarm stickers on the doors and windows (even if you don't have an alarm). Get an alarm for your apt, even better. Cameras.

Basic precautions will take away a lot of the risk.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NYKate Expat Life 27
J Expat Life 43
V Expat Life 12
Back