Tourist questions : Cash for three weeks in BA?

Everything imported (sake, for example) is always really expensive. Eat local.
There are perfectly good 800 peso meals out there.
There is Argentine gin that is great, obviously wines, and campari and fernet are made in two places- Italy, and Argentina. A bottle of Campari in Washington State is $42USD, in Argentina, about $5USD. So locally sourced cocktails are cheaper. That said, cocktails in general are usually expensive.

Everything imported (sake, for example) is always really expensive. Eat local.
There are perfectly good 800 peso meals out there.
There is Argentine gin that is great, obviously wines, and campari and fernet are made in two places- Italy, and Argentina. A bottle of Campari in Washington State is $42USD, in Argentina, about $5USD. So locally sourced cocktails are cheaper. That said, cocktails in general are usually expensive.
Can you define "perfectly good?" Do you mean edible and you won't die from it? With the exception burgers meals, I've never experienced a "meal" under 1000 that wasn't terrible. Between 1500 and 2500 you can find really good options if you know the right restaurants. And obviously you find the best food when you go beyond that range. I find cheap food in Argentina to be very bad taste and quality. And what is so fucking hard about making a got damn chicken cesar salad here. I'm literally like 0-50 trying to find a good one. At this point I think I keep looking based on pure stubbornness to accept the reality.

it's been awhile since i ate at osaka, but a few years ago it was my favorite place here. i enjoyed the fusion dishes, it was never about the sushi for me.

service can be notoriously slow here so you should keep your expectations low here for excellent wait staff.

also, jumbo is terrible. i do nearly all my shopping at the minimart at the corner of cossettini and maizani. they have as good a selection of fruit and veg as jumbo, in a store 1/25th of the size. the owner is maybe the least friendliest person i've ever met, but at least their store has good variety :)

Can you define "perfectly good?" Do you mean edible and you won't die from it? With the exception burgers meals, I've never experienced a "meal" under 1000 that wasn't terrible. Between 1500 and 2500 you can find really good options if you know the right restaurants. And obviously you find the best food when you go beyond that range. I find cheap food in Argentina to be very bad taste and quality. And what is so fucking hard about making a got damn chicken cesar salad here. I'm literally like 0-50 trying to find a good one. At this point I think I keep looking based on pure stubbornness to accept the reality.
Obviously everybody is different.
But I eat a fair amount of lunch specials- and they are often quite good.
I dont expect to find food from other cultures perfectly executed- Ceasar Salad is a Mexican invention for middle american tastes, and the addtion of chicken a 90s diet fad thing- meaning that its not exactly global. There are many foreign dishes you cannot, and will not, find in Argentina. Just like I have never had a really good empanada anywhere in the US...
I believe in eating local.
That means I eat choripans, and milanesas, I eat a variety of pizza and empanadas. I happen to love pasta, in all its many incarnations.

I eat at a fair amount of bar viejos- average bars in Buenos Aires with simple menus, serving simple honest food.
I eat at funky neighborhood places, which have one or two entrees for a lunch menu, and 800 to 1000 pesos is not uncommon.

I also eat at more interesting, more expensive, modern cuisine places like Gran Dabbang, or Apu Nena, Picaron or Condarco, and my wife and I usually both eat at a place like that for around 3000 pesos. But we are old, dont eat enormous amounts, and dont drink much. 3000 pesos goes a LONG way these days, even in pretty gourmet places.

3000 pesos goes a LONG way these days, even in pretty gourmet places.
3000 for two people? My last meals for two at Apu Nena style modern restaurants or somewhere like Can Ting were in the 6000-7000 range for two - one drink each included and even left one place feeling very hungry.

3000 maybe gets a brunch or, a little less, for two in nicer places or two grilled chicken dishes and a glass of wine at a nice but not fancy parilla.

Inflation at restaurants in the past few months has been phenomenal. The other day I went to order a bagel with lox for 900, as printed on the menu, and the waitress quickly told me the price had gone up to 1695 but they had not updated the cards yet and asked if I still wanted to order it.

I had a pizza for 1000 pesos and it was frigging delish.
Welcome to Arg. Don't buy imported stuff unless you really want it.

RIP if you used a foreign card.
Pesos... hahahah RIP if you used a foreign card

I had a pizza for 1000 pesos and it was frigging delish.

Pesos... hahahah RIP if you used a foreign card
When I say meal I mean drink and side include. Like the various lunch specials around. I'm sure there are tons of places I don't know about though.

Back