Two men found stabbed to death in Palermo

PhilipDT said:
Why wear a watch? To tell time.

And i'm not sure any of us are "flashing" our iphones, we're probably just taking a phone call, it is what phones are for after all.

No, Philip, don't you get it? Its never the criminal's fault. YOU MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG!

This is horrible! I am scared to death now! I live in Barrio Norte and rarely feel safe, I also work from 9pm to 5am 4 nights a week. I am not sure how I can avoid one day being robbed and I am hoping it is not a violent attempt! :( I don't bring many things with me to work that I would like to bring, because I have settled into the awful feeling that it's only a matter of time before it's me! **DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO BUY PEPPER SPRAY??

OK PhilipDT, you want to be sarcastic (lowest form of wit).
What I don't understand is why almost everyone wants to moan about how bad they think things are here. The bit I don't understand is, if everything is so much better in their home place, what the hell are they doing here, surely the answer is to go home and enjoy yourself rather than endure what you don't like here. to me the answer seems all too easy. One only needs to get on a plane and be back there in a few short hours.
I am here because of my own volition, if I didn't want to be here I wouldn't be.
Couldn't be simpler!

maydesantelmo, It always makes me wonder what the thought process is of someone would say, leave if you don't like it. I think that those of us who have been here for awhile (5 years for me), have a love of this country and we see that it has changed radically in the last five years, due to in my opinion, to a government that lies, and is basically corrupt as well as 25% inflation per year which creates a lot of poverty. I was not robbed for the first three years I lived here. Then in the fourth year, I was pick pocketed (they are really good at it, the professionals). My iphone was stolen by a workman who the landlord let in without telling me. Someone broke into my apartment (or had a key) and stole $1000 dollars which was hidden, that's right dollars not pesos that I had just brought back from the states and was going to go to the bank the next day. I've had change taken out of my coat pocket that was hanging on a chair and money stolen at club out of my pocket (how they did it is a mystery). I love the city but it has changed in terms of thefts and that makes everyone uneasy. Forget about the liars in the government saying inflation is 10 or 12% when we know it's double and the GNP number are bogus. who ever sees police patrolling their neighborhood.. Well, I do now that I moved one block from the US embassy. Any way, don't say go home if you don't like it, why don't you say, how can we improve the conditions in this city that we love. Get it?

allcraz said:
Whether or not this is my reality, I have to stop reading these threads. I'm always fine until I run across one of these, click on it, and wait as blood starts draining from my face. If I have to suffer, fine, it will happen, but reading all this is not going to prevent it or help me in any way. If I go through my posts I'm sure I've posted as well, adding to the drama of one of these threads, but I really just have to be stronger than the left-click.

You guys, come on. Of course when we all get together and start sawpping stories it sounds horrible. I'm assuming we all moved here from developed countries/continents. THIS IS A SOUTH AMERICAN CAPITAL CITY. Why don't you go trying living in Lima, Santiago, La Paz, Quito, Bogota, Rio, or Sao Paolo and see if you do any better or "feel" safer. Even in sleepy Montevideo two punk kids yanked a camera off my wrist at 3 in the afternoon (was I ASKING for it by wearing it on my wrist in its case, maybe). Poverty equals crime. And that is true for any city in the world. Paris, Prague, New York, Johannesburg. We just have this nice little forum where we get to freak each other out all the time.

lucha54 said:
You guys, come on. Of course when we all get together and start sawpping stories it sounds horrible. I'm assuming we all moved here from developed countries/continents. THIS IS A SOUTH AMERICAN CAPITAL CITY. Why don't you go trying living in Lima, Santiago, La Paz, Quito, Bogota, Rio, or Sao Paolo and see if you do any better or "feel" safer. Even in sleepy Montevideo two punk kids yanked a camera off my wrist at 3 in the afternoon (was I ASKING for it by wearing it on my wrist in its case, maybe). Poverty equals crime. And that is true for any city in the world. Paris, Prague, New York, Johannesburg. We just have this nice little forum where we get to freak each other out all the time.

Nah, I moved here from another third world country (at least in the way people think) and I am still baffled.

And just because there are cities that are worse in terms of crime does not make Buenos Aires or Argentina any better.

I, for one, am getting sick of these comparisons mainly because (my understanding is that) people who post here do so because they care about Argentina and wish for it to be more civilized because they chose to spend some years of their lives in this country. Not to experience robberies, or shootouts or whatever but to enjoy the place. It just so happens that in the last two years, the audacity of the robbers and the carelessness of the policing authorities of this country has taken that element of enjoyment, choked it to death and replaced it with an element of paranoia. And people don't like that. No one does!

People can make themselves feel better all they want by saying, "You know what, stats show me that I would be worse off in Lagos!" Well and? Should you open a Champagne bottle because you're not in a worse s***-hole instead of wishing for this s***-hole to be a little better? Yeah, I don't think so.

And for those that keep saying, "Go home! Buy a ticket, Its that simple." Well believe it or not, if I could, I would. Its sometimes more complicated that your moronic "its that simple" remark.

You hit the nail on the head allcraz!
I don't feel particularly more vulnerable here than in London from robbery and physically safer, true I probably take more precautions but I don't feel scared of gratuitous violence.

RicardoBA said:
A young innocent boy just got gunned down by a self appointed vigilante in Florida. The local police are unable or refuse to properly investigate this homicide so the Federal Government is having to step in. Where do you feel safer in Argentina or the USA?

Im working in Africa at the moment and heard about this incident on the news, it is making news worldwide (because that kind of thing just doesnt usually happen in the US). Do you think these 2 guys, or anyone being killed for that matter will even get attention outside of BA?

allcraz said:
Whether or not this is my reality, I have to stop reading these threads. I'm always fine until I run across one of these

My sentiments exactly.

I'm no delusional idealist, and admittedly, I didn't spend that much time in BA (a few weeks) before deciding to make my way over there. But reading this forum, one would really think it's an armed camp/famished war zone/Somalia. It's not. At most, it's a lively city with a good deal of petty crime and theft. Welcome to Latin America.

I'm far more likely to physically suffer from depression reading what most of the older, cranky forum members have to say when they get on their crime hobby horse (assisted by their beloved conservative media) than I am to get assaulted on the street.

On the unlikely chance that I'm unspeakably wrong, I can't stop it anyway, so, I'll concede victory when I'm bleeding on the curb.

Back