Uber Is Gaining Momentum

Took a Uber from Palermo to Ezeiza.

Cost 300 pesos including tolls.

The ride was good.

---

Only thing - the driver did not seem interested to help with luggage and I absolutely understand it as he is just getting paid to drive.

--

This was my first ever experience with Uber in Arg. Liked it. But for going to aeroport on a rainy day or at 0400 in the morning, I will still prefer the reliable remis.

Took an Uber a few times in Palermo - cars were always 5-7 minutes away and the ride was enjoyable every single time. Once the driver asked me if I wanted to sit in the front seat rather than in the back so that it would look as if I'm just someone getting a ride from a friend. Another driver said his car got scratched or broken in some other way by proper taxi drivers when they found out he was ubering.

Uber needs to do what they did in brazil and agree to pay taxes up front to the local governments (so they can steal it and hide it in the ground). Competition is always a good thing and I have had enough bad experiences with dodgy taxi drivers that uber drivers cannot be much worse.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/new-economy/before-europe-lets-uber-run-wild-it-should-consider-what-it-did-to-us-workers-20161007?utm_source=YTW&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=20161007

"An unregulated Uber has helped to create an economy where part-time, low wage, on demand work is the new norm."

Used to be that part-time, low-wage, on-demand work was done by young people high school-aged or getting started. Wasn't meant to be the kind of work to support a family. But of course that was in my time. My kids couldn't find much in the way of jobs when they were still in high school, while when I was 16 I was a cashier at Target and before I graduated high school I was the head cashier. I went on to bigger and better things (and I never graduated from college either)

I think the kind of jobs that are being disparaged are good jobs, for the people for whom they were originally intended. Too bad that opinions and policies in the US have made such jobs horrible things because someone can't raise a family on them and have to be protected by higher and higher minimum wages. I keep asking myself why anyone or trade needs unions when they have the government...

I was in BA this past July and took about 10 different uber taxis. All but 1 of those rides were in cars way nicer, and with drivers way friendlier, than any radio taxi or remis I have taken in my years of traveling to BA.

Many are people who work on the weekend to earn extra income for their family or former/current taxi drivers.

Uber pushed yellow cabs in the US to up their service levels by being more credit card and passenger friendly and it will do the same for Argentina.

Forgive my ignorance...I loved Uber in the US last time I visited and I would love to start taking it here. But how is it working on a practical level now with all the problems with the government ban and such? For example, I heard you can used credit cards to pay for it...is that true? Also what happens if they get pulled over while you are inside, do you face any problems for using the service?

I think it's more a question of supply and demand
In BA there are abundant taxis at almost any day or time except when it rains.
Moreover,most local Argiel cab takers are not yet credit card holders and pay cash .
Although I have a credit card,I usually do the same.
In NYC where I spent the month of Sept free yellow cabs are many times hard to find
I was in a tough bind on Fri.9/29 at 5:00 PM in the rain trying to get a cab from the West Village to the Upper East Side to catch a ride out to JFK
I would have given the shirt off my back for Uber at that moment.

Back