Uber Update?

Let's be honest there are bad apples in every single industry. However Uber is there to provide people an opportunity for work that might not otherwise be available to a large amount of people. I would rather them working than living of social benefits at home doing nothing. My uber driver was an older gentlemen who was extremely nice and well mannered and talked about how Uber helped give him a job. We can all cut the bullshit and know that the taxi union has its fingers deep inside this whole mess - I fully support uber providing a decent enough salary and retirement to drivers and pay a fair share of taxes. This will take time and maybe they need to have their arm twisted a little bit to get in line but the end result is worth it. Competition is ALWAYS welcome - let people decide what service they want to use. All this crap about safety issues etc - like I said every single Uber driver I have had has been more than pleasant compared to some of the taxi drivers who have given me fake bills and used meters that count fast. We live in the year 2017 now and nearly all the taxis I use don't accept credit cards so it's clear how many are not paying any taxes - but the Government doesn't care about that does it?

Well, the flip side of this is:

I drive Uber currently in the US and really want to drive it when I move to AR--because of the extra income in a place where unemployment is so high right now. (Am I talking about the difficulty of job security in the US or AR? Interesting how it might apply to both... ;-) )

However, the thought of being attacked by the taxis--as a driver or as a rider--really turns me off of the whole idea. Maybe it's just due to the impression the media (The Bubble included) has painted of the situation. But, safety is number 1.

So, I would love to hear from those of you who are "on the ground" what your impression is about safety as a rider--and I don't mean about how the Ubers drive.

Stramollygreen

If you can get a car, you can consider starting a service for expats primarily - picking and dropping them to Ezeiza ( Int airport).

There is a lot of scope in that business with English speaking drivers who can charge less than local taxis.

There are few expats who are doing this work and making really decent money.

So you get here ; get a car ; a GPS ; car Insurance ; a webpage ; facebook page

Get some media advertising done on the forums and hey presto - you have a start.

One example for you :-

http://silverstarcar.com

I haven't used Uber but read this very detailed unflattering article about the company on the Naked Capitalism website (Fearless commentary on finance, economics, politics and power).

Can Uber Ever Deliver? Part Seven: Uber’s “Narrative” and The Vox and Stratechery Critiques of Naked Capitalism’s Uber Series – Defending Uber Requires Ignoring Industry Economics

Posted on January 31, 2017 by Yves Smith http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/01/can-uber-ever-deliver-part-seven-ubers-narrative-vox-stratechery-critiques-naked-capitalisms-uber-series-defending-uber-requires-ignoring.html

Even if you use an Argentine card?
I was contacted saying that I was selected for a "pilot project" and I would have an option to pay cash. I think now most people can pay cash and I like that. I'm under the impression that argentine cards don't work with Uber.

Even if you use an Argentine card?
I was contacted saying that I was selected for a "pilot project" and I would have an option to pay cash. I think now most people can pay cash and I like that. I'm under the impression that argentine cards don't work with Uber.

I haven't used Uber but read this very detailed unflattering article about the company on the Naked Capitalism website (Fearless commentary on finance, economics, politics and power).

Can Uber Ever Deliver? Part Seven: Uber’s “Narrative” and The Vox and Stratechery Critiques of Naked Capitalism’s Uber Series – Defending Uber Requires Ignoring Industry Economics

Posted on January 31, 2017 by Yves Smith http://www.nakedcapi...s-ignoring.html
No offence but I couldn't give a flying you know what about what some guy thinks of Ubers future valuation. All I care about is the service and price, if they raise prices and they become more expensive compared to taxis people will make their own choice. All competition is great for the customer - that is a fact. Do yourself a favour and try the service yourself - see what you think and post your experiences. Like I said I have used it all over the world and had nothing but great experiences at great prices. This generation requires mobile apps that make life easier - no one wants to worry about getting ripped off by a taxi or getting fake notes just because you can't speak the language. This solves the majority of those problems - it is the future and its better the haters start to accept it instead of throwing stones. Because there is nothing they can do to stop it getting bigger - fact.

Ceviche,

Thanks for the awesome advice! Friends keep telling me to ship my car from the US... ;) Only because they all just want to drive it though. One friend told me last night that I could bring my car, he would do the driving and we could split the profit... :rolleyes:

My safety question as a rider still remains... (with regards to the taxistas perhaps being violent or reckless towards Uber drivers...)

My safety question as a rider still remains... (with regards to the taxistas perhaps being violent or reckless towards Uber drivers...)

Why think small and think of becoming a UBER driver and risk being attacked...when you can yourself start a business and hit the ground running on your arrival.

Its cumbersome importing cars from other countries..

Yes, I definitely see your point and think it is great advice! :D

I think I might have been confusing in the way I wrote my question. As a rider, is it generally safe to take an Uber (because of the taxistas)?

And noted about the importing of cars from other countries.

Back