Uber Update?

More negative press about Uber:

Former Engineer Says Uber Is a Nightmare of Sexism; CEO Orders Urgent Investigation

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/02/20/149244/former-engineer-says-uber-is-a-nightmare-of-sexism-ceo-orders-urgent-investigation

https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber

Nobody likes Uber anymore

https://qz.com/917179/uber-is-racking-up-one-star-reviews-in-the-ios-app-store/

But far more reviewers have another gripe: Uber’s apparent disregard for user privacy. The monthly volume of one-star ratings for Uber in the App Store first spiked last November, after the company redesigned its app and infringed on user privacy by eliminating an iOS setting that let users grant Uber access to their location only “while using” the app. Users are now forced to choose between letting Uber track their location “always” and “never” (the latter of which means entering your pickup and drop-off points manually any time you request a ride).

“There’s absolutely no reason for Uber to track my location AFTER the ride is over,” a reviewer wrote on Feb. 22. “It’s a completely sketchy move that does not benefit the user is any way.” Another user titled their Feb. 20 review, “Invasion of privacy!!!” “You are now required to give Uber your location 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, whether or not the app is open,” reviewer “Christian425” wrote. “It’s just ridiculous. I can’t support such terrible business practices.”

Yes that update has been a source of serious frustration for me as I refuse to let Uber track me all the time. Still its not so frustrating as to make me switch to taxis.

I had a negative experience with Uber last night at Ezeiza.

After I cleared customs, I looked for Uber on app...they allocated me a driver who was 10 minutes away. The driver messaged me that he is coming. Then when he was 3 minutes away, UBER said, we have changed yr driver as this one is closer and he was 14 minutes away! Anyway, i waited for him. I contacted him. Ultimately there were so many people at departures that neither he could find me and neither I could find him. I told him where I was waiting, but he wanted me to walk all over the place and find where he is!

basically i lost about 35 minutes after i was out in arrivals in my bid to take uber! Subsequently, I took a remi which cost 690 pesos to palermo and it was very efficient.

My final call on UBer at Ezeiza - yes, you may save 100 pesos but its a lot of trouble and stress and lot of patience required to get it at airport. For a new tourist, you are vulnerable walking out in open with your phone in hand, luggage in tow and possible dollars in yr pocket trying to search the UBER in a maze of cars. Suggest to take the remi especially if you can be vulnerable and arriving with valuables and cash and dont want to expose yrself to all sorts of characters outside at the airport.

Late nights, at 2-3 am, when Ezeiza airport is less crowded, there is no UBER avbl anyway.

---

Going to Ezeiza from city, its best to take a uber. cost me 507 pesos from palermo few days ago. Return Journey - best to take a airport remis though its super expensive. Some remis were asking 850 yesterday to palermo! There are about 5~7 different companies. Suggest ask each of them the price and then take the cheapest one as all are same! Its a luck of draw if you get a good driver who knows the route or a stupid driver who will use GPS and depend on yr directions/ guidance on the route to take to bring you to yr final destination!

Agreed cerviche - I take a normal taxi just because of the headache trying to find the driver. All other occasions though Uber works better where it is easy to find the driver.

Back