Unusual places for guests?

mmoon

Registered
We've got another group of friends coming to visit us in BA, and I'm looking for some ideas of places to take them outside of the circuit of the Plaza de Mayo-San Telmo Sunday Market-Recoleta Cemetary-Tren de la Costa, etc. Anything, any place truly unusual/unique that you could recommend that gives a taste (literally would be fine) of the city...all my usual spots are feeling pretty stale after a few rounds of guests.
Thanks for the help!

Tigre's Puerto de Frutos would be a good option. Go during the week, when the delta island people are there selling their stuff to store owners. You can see their boats arrive loaded with baskets, bamboo poles, wicker strands, dried flowers, and oranges.

Saturday and Sunday it's a zoo - Tuesday many shops are closed.

Costanera Sur and Reserva Ecologica during the day. Sundays and holidays, Feria de Mataderos.

I don't know if Edificio La Prensa on Avenida de Mayo is on your usual itinerary but in my opinion its appearance and history make it worth a look. There are often (poorly advertised) exhibitions in the basement - ask at the desk. A few weeks ago I saw a really thought provoking architectural exhibition about shared spaces.

Then there is the absolutely fabulous Palacio del Agua on Corrientes: compare and contrast with its plainer identical twin brother in Villa Devoto.

Finally (for now) there is Lourdes. Since you are already in Devoto visiting the Palacio del Agua's plainer identical twin brother, keep on walking towards Santos Lugares until you spot the twin spires. The replica of the famous French Church and Grotto are worth a look whether you are there as a sightseer or a pilgrim. Bring a bottle.

If you need more detailed directions, just ask

Parque Avellenada,

Reserva Ecologico,

Feria de Matadores,

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions! I knew this was the place to ask. I appreciate all the help.
Enjoy the spring weekend!!

Lujan in a Sunday, especially a sunny sunday, and more so when there is a pilgrimage.

Went to CostaNera Sur today. Great place to walk on a sunny day like today. Grab some street food either before or after from the multitude of parillas on wheels on the pavements outside.

Other than that, try and catch Fuerza Bruta at the Centro Cultural if it's still on. It's crazier than a conversation with my granny, but it's totally original and good value.

Señor Suitcase
Our blog LIVE from BA - www.senorsuitcase.com
http://www.twitter.com/senorsuitcase - Follow Us!

Feria de mataderos is at one of the most dangerous neighbors of the city. In fact mataderos is know as a police-thieves place, both of them are from the same place.
It id just 6 blocks far is ciudad oculta (hidden city), so, if you go there don`t take you camera with you and don`t behave as a gringou.
Just take a look at google maps, use the satellite tool and take a look.
Regards

Back