Unusual places for guests?

Bajo_cero2 said:
Feria de mataderos is at one of the most dangerous neighbors of the city. In fact mataderos is know as a police-thieves place, both of them are from the same place.
It id just 6 blocks far is ciudad oculta (hidden city), so, if you go there don`t take you camera with you and don`t behave as a gringou.
Just take a look at google maps, use the satellite tool and take a look.
Regards

I was hoping to go to this feria one of the weekends this month. I did hear it was in a bad neighborhood, but have also hear so many people have been there & I've never heard of anything bad happening to any tourists.

Does anyone have any more info on this?

Mini, I'm a long time Palermo dweller - and I have been to this feria many times - and it's great. It's not swanky or up market, but it's quite cool to see what's on offer. There are gaucho exhibitions, horse racing down the street, local food on offer (regional food from the north of Arg mostly) like tamales and empanadas tucumanas etc.....locals out for a good time, singing karoke in the street and lots of people enjoying the amtosphere and dancing...........OK, it's not a tourist WOW spot, but if you've never been, I think it's worth a visit. And with respect to safety - I've never had an issue - and I always take colectivo 92 to get there - leaves you 1 block from the action.........I know it's in a bad area, but I've always found it fine, and enjoyable for something different once in a while. And in the little tavernas - people are dancing and singing - it's really quite nice!

The feria is fine, and the bad reputation of the barrio shouldn't keep anybody away from going to the feria. Just stay AT the feria and don't wander around outside of it or the surrounding park and you'll be fine. The website for the feria has info on hours, how to get there, etc: http://www.feriademataderos.com.ar/agenda.htm

It is fun, and an interesting cultural experience. The tamales are really good, too. It's not recommended to just wander around, though. Mataderos is a dangerous neighborhood (in fact the site of my very first mugging here, but that was off the beaten track and certainly not at the feria--long story)!

Well, in fact the comisaria is in the middle of the feria. But just stay at the feria and don`t show off with electronics, that`s what I meant. Regards

Back