uruguay cheats to win

Lol

Yeah Argentina is really better off than first world countries because they play soccer. Oh wait...... :|

pericles said:
If more nations spent their energies on healthy sports instead of on wars and the glorification of war our societies will be much better off .

Liam3494 said:
Before anyone jumps on me, given my comments about Henry and his handball that robbed Ireland of a place in the World Cup - He got away with his injustice, was not punished, France scored as a result of his cheating and went through - Different circumstances.....

Lol, I was sure that the froggies would appear in this thread.

Well, first for the Ireland-France game :
- I totally agree it's a shame what Henry did (furthermore : intentional not for the first handling but the second one).
- A vast majority of french people deeply condemned this action (and Irish people are deeply appreciated in France as you may know)
- Even if Henry had not handled the ball, it's not certain that Eire would have won (but yes, sincerely they desserved to win).
- In the previous game Ireland had (against Georgia if I recall), there was too a big mistake that made you win (and no Irish player went to the ref to say "no, don't give us the goal !").
- Had the Irish scored the same way instead of France, I suppose that they would have not admitted anything (who would ?!)

Now, France HAD to be qualified against Ireland, it's just a matter of money & interests in the balance (and yes, football is no more a sport to me. Sport should be about ethics, fairplay, etc...).

It has to be noted too that a vast majority of the french people called for a replay.

IMHO football needs to be reformed but what can you expect when it is run (Blatter, and until two days ago in France by JP Escalettes 77 years old) by third age people.
- Why hasn't video showed up yet ?! (clue : to influence the games).
- Like in rugby they should have temporary bans (like 10 minutes)
- The goals should be enlarged a bit because 50 years ago, players were not averaging 6"2 (1 meter 86), not to mention Crouch or Zigic.
- Club's finances should be much "cleaner" (see what happens now in the British Isles and what is about to happen in Spain)

As a gossip, Maradona criticized today the referees : he mentionned the valid -but rejected- Lampard goal and a few others (but did not mention the Tevez offside nor his own "hand of god", lol).

There are so many historical examples of fraud in football :
- England in 1966 if I recall ?
- Argentine victory in 1978 was too a fraud (influence from the junta. But other Argentineans victories were fair, well, except for the hand of god).

All in all, there have been some pleasant times in this WC :
- The surprising first match of North Korea
- The very surprising NZ !!
- The raising US team who shall count in the future.
- Differences between teams are much less than before

Well, what else ?!

Liam, I'll pay you (if you accept) a pint of the best beer if sometimes we meet. As a frenchie, I am really sorry and ashamed for Henry's hand, but the problem is much broader.

To live in the present or the future? A healthy balance is necessary.

!!!!Vamos Argentina!!!!

pericles said:
This to me is a ironic post given that you are a USA citizen and your government spends trillions of trillions of dollars on a war machine that could so much be better spent to help the 40 million poor of the USA and the millions of homeless blighting American cities.

Come on lighten up soccer is passion is its purest form and I believe that Argentina and South Americans are right to support such a uplifting healthy sport .

If more nations spent their energies on healthy sports instead of on wars and the glorification of war our societies will be much better off .

You (mistakingly) assume that I support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Just because I'm a U.S. citizen does not mean I put a rubber stamp on everything my government does. I don't think you really want me to start ranting about the U.S.

I don't have a problem with soccer or the sport itself. Read my post again; I said it was a nice diversion. I do have a problem with the enormous amount of attention it receives -- not just from people, but the media as well. Furthermore, in the case of Argentina, why can't the Argentine government spend that $104,000,000 on schools? sidewalks? roads? the elderly? the homeless? Where are our priorities? What does it say about us as people that our cities come to an absolute stand-still to watch a bunch of sweaty men kick a ball around, but no such thing can happen as a response to the atrocities being committed in Iraq and Afghanistan?

I think wars would end and the glorification of such wars would cease if our societies spent more time educating people on the real reason we go to war. But of course, if those who we trust to hold our governments responsible are covering what's going in South Africa 24/7, that isn't really possible, is it? Or if they're letting kids out of schools to watch these games, it isn't possible, is it?

bradlyhale said:
I'm even more perplexed why it matters in Argentina. High unemployment, low wages, tons of crime, malnourished children, poor public education, etc.

Interest for games in times of decadency is 2000 years old, check for Panem et circenses

French jurist said:
Interest for games in times of decadency is 2000 years old, check for Panem et circenses

Racism is really old too, but that doesn't mean it ever made sense. Check for institutionalization.

Sport matters for the reasons expressed by Bradley Hale and others because we live in an increasingly turbulent world where the common man has absolutely no control . Sport is a diversion and football is a passion that runs deep through many in South America and the world .

We can forget our troubles , our miseries and anxieties for those few hours and just be in the moment . Cannot wait for tomorrow to come Vamos Argentina Carajo......

For Liam, a youtube video (handball) where a french team is a true victim of the opponent's coach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SPOY8IWrSg

Jokes aside, let's not forget that kids in the world die from hunger/diseases/etc at a rate of one every three to five seconds. Did you see that on the channels today ? No, Panem et circenses I told you.

pericles said:
Sport matters for the reasons expressed by Bradley Hale and others because we live in an increasingly turbulent world where the common man has absolutely no control . Sport is a diversion and football is a passion that runs deep through many in South America and the world .

We can forget our troubles , our miseries and anxieties for those few hours and just be in the moment . Cannot wait for tomorrow to come Vamos Argentina Carajo......

The powers-that-be love you.

As an individual, you are powerless. But if we were united as we are for the World Cup against issues like war, we would be a force.

There's a reason you consider yourself powerless, and, sadly, you're not the only one who thinks that. It would do us all some good to think about why we've been taught to believe that.

So basically, in third world countries like Argentina, soccer has replaced religion as the opiate of the people.

greeeeaaaat.

pericles said:

Back