uruguay cheats to win

I appreciate the effort on the part of the usual suspects to turn this into a thread about the Iraq war And US foreign policy in general (both of which I admit took cheating to an all new level) but now my panties are in a twist about something more important, viz, trying to understand the difference between various kinds of illegal misbehavior in sporting events. Thinking it through, I observe that:

-An intentional foul at the end of a basketball game seems is trivial in this day and age, most definitely an accepted part of the game. But note that a flagrant foul on a drive to the hoop will get you thrown out of a game and a fair suspension on the bench.

-Using a hand (whether it's yours or gods) to score a goal seems far worse, but still only within the realm of the lame, and really more of a problem for the blind referee who failed to stop it than anyone else.

-Using a hand to block a goal so as not to lose is just plain loserocity and should be condemned and discouraged by everyone. What Uruguay doesn't yet realize is that their team is now an over-placed joke that will enjoy no sympathy or celebration from anyone outside of a cow town like Montevideo. They've gone from being lovable underdogs to worthless pieces of shit in a single play. From here on out fans will wish for them to lose. And trust me, against the Dutch, they will lose very very ugly. Back in the day Uruguay was simply ignored; now it will be actively detested.

French jurist said:
Lol, I was sure that the froggies would appear in this thread.

Well, first for the Ireland-France game :
- I totally agree it's a shame what Henry did (furthermore : intentional not for the first handling but the second one).
- A vast majority of french people deeply condemned this action (and Irish people are deeply appreciated in France as you may know)
- Even if Henry had not handled the ball, it's not certain that Eire would have won (but yes, sincerely they desserved to win).
- In the previous game Ireland had (against Georgia if I recall), there was too a big mistake that made you win (and no Irish player went to the ref to say "no, don't give us the goal !").
- Had the Irish scored the same way instead of France, I suppose that they would have not admitted anything (who would ?!)

Now, France HAD to be qualified against Ireland, it's just a matter of money & interests in the balance (and yes, football is no more a sport to me. Sport should be about ethics, fairplay, etc...).

It has to be noted too that a vast majority of the french people called for a replay.

IMHO football needs to be reformed but what can you expect when it is run (Blatter, and until two days ago in France by JP Escalettes 77 years old) by third age people.
- Why hasn't video showed up yet ?! (clue : to influence the games).
- Like in rugby they should have temporary bans (like 10 minutes)
- The goals should be enlarged a bit because 50 years ago, players were not averaging 6"2 (1 meter 86), not to mention Crouch or Zigic.
- Club's finances should be much "cleaner" (see what happens now in the British Isles and what is about to happen in Spain)

As a gossip, Maradona criticized today the referees : he mentionned the valid -but rejected- Lampard goal and a few others (but did not mention the Tevez offside nor his own "hand of god", lol).

There are so many historical examples of fraud in football :
- England in 1966 if I recall ?
- Argentine victory in 1978 was too a fraud (influence from the junta. But other Argentineans victories were fair, well, except for the hand of god).

All in all, there have been some pleasant times in this WC :
- The surprising first match of North Korea
- The very surprising NZ !!
- The raising US team who shall count in the future.
- Differences between teams are much less than before

Well, what else ?!

Liam, I'll pay you (if you accept) a pint of the best beer if sometimes we meet. As a frenchie, I am really sorry and ashamed for Henry's hand, but the problem is much broader.

With such a beautifully constructed defense, I, on behalf of the whole of Ireland forgive you as a nation completely. Let´s be clear - Ireland is pure entertainment value in the world cup..have you seen us take penalties? France on the other hand has been a great footballing nation and worthy of much respect..let´s just chalk the French mundial of 2010 up to there being divine justice.

lmaooooo

harsh ?

Choripán said:
What Uruguay doesn't yet realize is that their team is now an over-placed joke that will enjoy no sympathy or celebration from anyone outside of a cow town like Montevideo. They've gone from being lovable underdogs to worthless pieces of shit in a single play. From here on out fans will wish for them to lose. And trust me, against the Dutch, they will lose very very ugly. Back in the day Uruguay was simply ignored; now it will be actively detested.

Choripán said:
I appreciate the effort on the part of the usual suspects to turn this into a thread about the Iraq war And US foreign policy in general (both of which I admit took cheating to an all new level) but now my panties are in a twist about something more important, viz, trying to understand the difference between various kinds of illegal misbehavior in sporting events. Thinking it through, I observe that:

-An intentional foul at the end of a basketball game seems is trivial in this day and age, most definitely an accepted part of the game. But note that a flagrant foul on a drive to the hoop will get you thrown out of a game and a fair suspension on the bench.

-Using a hand (whether it's yours or gods) to score a goal seems far worse, but still only within the realm of the lame, and really more of a problem for the blind referee who failed to stop it than anyone else.

-Using a hand to block a goal so as not to lose is just plain loserocity and should be condemned and discouraged by everyone. What Uruguay doesn't yet realize is that their team is now an over-placed joke that will enjoy no sympathy or celebration from anyone outside of a cow town like Montevideo. They've gone from being lovable underdogs to worthless pieces of shit in a single play. From here on out fans will wish for them to lose. And trust me, against the Dutch, they will lose very very ugly. Back in the day Uruguay was simply ignored; now it will be actively detested.

Balderdash. Is Argentina renowned as "a worthless piece of shit" for the hand of god? Uruguay deserved to be in the game today - the guy made a bad judgement call and the team won....were Ghana so startling brilliant in their play and penalties that the wold will uprise in their defense...this is footballing history and what makes life interesting. Who ever said life or football was fair? At least nobody dies with the latter.....

I remember a argentine psychologist saying to me once the reasons why soccer was more than a religion here in Buenos Aires and it is not hard to understand . Argies are ridiculed around the world for their third world dictatorships, hyperinflation, and lost hopes . Argentina has been for many years now a symbol of a first world nation that sunk into despair and growing up in Australia I remember whenever our economy was sliding into recession they always used the Argentina example to strike fear in the populace.

But on the soccer field argentinians show their glory , their prowess, their creativity , that is unique and admired and once again we feel loved, special, strong and proud and so many emotions that make us relive our best hopes and dreams to the world . One thing you will find here in Argentina is this intensity and when harnessed can create so much passion . If you look at Tango and soccer they have a lot in common as well suprisingly.

fifs2 said:
Balderdash. Is Argentina renowned as "a worthless piece of shit" for the hand of god? Uruguay deserved to be in the game today - the guy made a bad judgement call and the team won....were Ghana so startling brilliant in their play and penalties that the wold will uprise in their defense...this is footballing history and what makes life interesting. Who ever said life or football was fair? At least nobody dies with the latter.....

Ok, so maybe I was a little harsh with that. But...

I think people stick with the Argies over the years because at the end of the day they are a remarkably good team and have played very well and indeed even responsibly in this tournament. And there is a difference between cheating to improve your own score and cheating to lower that of another. Falsely tearing someone else down is always a bigger offense than falsely building yourself up. The one is unforgivable, the other is, as you point out, simply life itself.

That said, I would like to clarify that I think the team behaved like a "worthless piece of shit," not the country or its people. Like everyone else, I visit Uruguay, or at least Colonia, every 90 days and "worthless piece of shit" is not the phrase I would use to describe it. There are many other ways to describe it.

Well, what are your predictions for the final ?

Tomorrow, I see Germany beating Argentina (if they play with 3 defenders : Jonas, Samuel are weak, Veron is quemado, Heinze goes up too much, etc...).
I see too Spain winning.

Semi finals :
- Netherlands beat Uruguay (that's easy)
- Spain beats Germany

Final : Netherlands beat Spain (because Spain has a long tradition of not delivering when it's supposed to do so)

French jurist said:
Well, what are your predictions for the final ?

Tomorrow, I see Germany beating Argentina (if they play with 3 defenders : Jonas, Samuel are weak, Veron is quemado, Heinze goes up too much, etc...).
I see too Spain winning.

Semi finals :
- Netherlands beat Uruguay (that's easy)
- Spain beats Germany

Final : Netherlands beat Spain (because Spain has a long tradition of not delivering when it's supposed to do so)

This analysis seems 100% sound. Though I would love to see Paraguay slug its way through Spain and Argentina, and then embarrass Uruguay in the final, if only to get a little payback for all the anti-Paraguayan racism (and let's be honest there is a lot of it) pitched routinely on the streets of Buenos Aires.

AlexfromLA said:
So basically, in third world countries like Argentina, soccer has replaced religion as the opiate of the people.

greeeeaaaat.

Well...you have to believe in something.. if Argentina believes in football so be it.
USA believe in guns and war glorification...ah! also in money, in God we trust, aka....money.

Back