Us Embassy Warning On Crime In Argentina

Clearly more Machiavellian machinations from the embassy.

Miren hacia el norte...

No indication that he was targeted because of his nationality. Arguably, given his position, he's a fraudster who's been perpetrating his own crimes in Argentina.

I am not a Mormon and I don't believe in their religion but I have met quite a few Mormons around the world and had one convert in my family. I have always found them honest and kind people. Whatever you may think of their doctrines, they are self sufficient people who look after their neighbors. I think the fraudster comment is unfair.

I am not a Mormon and I don't believe in their religion but I have met quite a few Mormons around the world and had one convert in my family. I have always found them honest and kind people. Whatever you may think of their doctrines, they are self sufficient people who look after their neighbors. I think the fraudster comment is unfair.

Just as Mitt Romney looked after the 47 percent? This is what you get when you devote yourself to the cult of a 2000-year-old zombie, and the delusional 19th-century "prophet" who supposedly followed him.

That's my experience, as well. However, like any religious group there are always a few wing-nuts.

Just received from US embassy:

"The U.S. Embassy wishes to inform U.S. citizens living and traveling in Argentina that in recent months, U.S. citizens have reported a number of crimes to the embassy. Crimes reported include petty crime, taxi scams (especially at international airports), mugging, snatch-and-grab robbery involving motorcycles and bicycles, and occasionally more serious crimes such as express kidnapping, home invasion, carjacking, assault, and sexual assault using date rape drugs. We recommend that U.S. citizens traveling and living in Argentina always be aware of their surroundings, maintain a high level of vigilance, and take appropriate steps to enhance their personal security. Please consult reliable sources for information on transportation, lodging, and the general security of areas you are visiting".
Do you think the embassy sends out the same letter to Peru, Uruguay, Spain, France, Chicago? :=)

Tom

Do you think the embassy sends out the same letter to Peru, Uruguay, Spain, France, Chicago? :=)

Tom

Ha. I'm still on the Madrid embassy mailing list and have never gotten an e-mail like the one they just sent for Buenos Aires. Embassies all over the world will send these e-mails depending on what's going on at the time. If nothing's going on, they simply don't send e-mails (or if they do, they have to do with consular services and the like). Is it really shocking that they sent one about crime in Buenos Aires? I think not. We all know crime here is getting worse--how bad it is is subjective, but we all know it's getting worse. The worst e-mail from Madrid I've seen was about two attempted kidnappings back in March:

The U.S. [background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]Embassy[/background] [background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]Madrid[/background] informs U.S. citizens in [background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]Madrid[/background] and its environs that Spanish press recently reported there was an attempted kidnapping by a stranger of a young Spanish student at Colegio Aldovea in La Moraleja, and a similar incident in Las Rozas, both nearby suburbs of [background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]Madrid[/background]. The American School of [background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]Madrid[/background] sent a security notice to parents on March 24 after seeing the press reports. Several area schools around [background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]Madrid[/background] have taken additional security measures in light of the recent reports, including, for example, having school staff accompany students to and from designated student drop-off/pick-up areas.

Back