Use dollars or ATMs ?

Frinkiac7 said:
Does anyone in the interior have luck getting $6 or more per USD when changing cash? I am heading straight to Salta and don't necessarily want to detour to a BA cueva unless it's the only way I will get at least 6.

Yes, you will get similar rates in the provinces as well (not sure about the gloing rates in Salta, but in BA Province you'll get 0.1 below the rate on ambito). Good cuevas are fewer and harder to find, though - help of local friends/relatives might be needed.

mendozanow said:
Make sure the US dollars are obtained and kept in mint condition (no marks, writing, tears or creases) or you will not be able to use them

In my experience, dollars in any condition are most welcomed. I just happen to have changed a very mixed lot of notes (some in very worn condition, most with markings/stamps, incl. old editions and smaller bills such as 100 pcs 1$-Notes) for a slightly reduced rate (6.10) last week. Try to mix old bills with good ones and you should be fine...

Frinkiac7 said:
Does anyone in the interior have luck getting $6 or more per USD when changing cash? I am heading straight to Salta and don't necessarily want to detour to a BA cueva unless it's the only way I will get at least 6.

You will get atleast 6 peso at Florida, I am sure at other cuevas as well

El chabon said:
You will get atleast 6 peso at Florida, I am sure at other cuevas as well

I'll give it a try in the interior. I've changed cash before with no problem, but I have no idea how much they are tracking the blue dollar these days.

Frinkiac7 said:
I'll give it a try in the interior. I've changed cash before with no problem, but I have no idea how much they are tracking the blue dollar these days.

We were recently in the interior (noreste) on our annual visit to Argentina and found that dollars were in great demand. While we were there in July, people were aware of the blue rate, through the media (news, internet).

Thanks, All, I just don't want to get arrested dealing with a sordid character.

Back