Using my US debit card in Argentina.

gonzalob54

Registered
My capital one debit card works in Argentina for lots of things (food, gas, hotels, rent..even to buy me a new car). Money gets deducted from my US acct at a reasonable rate. Mi problem is rapipago, pagofacil, pagomiscuentas.com won't take the card. Places with the Posnet machine have no problem with my card.
Anyone else in the same boat? thanks

My capital one debit card works in Argentina for lots of things (food, gas, hotels, rent..even to buy me a new car). Money gets deducted from my US acct at a reasonable rate. Mi problem is rapipago, pagofacil, pagomiscuentas.com won't take the card. Places with the Posnet machine have no problem with my card.

Send yourself money via WU. You are effectively getting 70 pesos / 1 USD using a (DEBIT?!) card, when you can get 115+ ARS to USD with WU. How is this a "decent" rate when you are spending 60% more? Also when this whole pandemic is over make sure you get yourself a decent travel CREDIT card because using a debit card outside the US is a tragedy waiting to happen IMHO.

With a debit card the trick is for it to be an Argentine one in pesos. But first do what IMHO says about paying yourself from your US bank using Western Union (I've never tried that but do something similar) to get a better exchange rate. Get an Argentine bank account, sometimes you can do this just with paid utility bills that show where you live, assuming you have a DNI. Place the pesos you got at the better rate in the Argentine account. Then use the debit or credit cards they eventually give you with that account to pay your bills, etc. Remembering of course that this is still a cash economy, credit / debit cards aren't that common. Moreso now with the quarentine....

I already have a Macro bank free savings acct. but transfering a grand from the US, wouldn't that raise a big flag? I hate to get AFIP involved or anybody else for that matter. Thanks

Using your Capone card in Argentina is dumb....as in dumb

Been investigating WU. Apparently, I can pay with my USA debit card and have the money deposited in pesos in an Argentine bank account. At WU's $117 rate. Has anyone done that?

Been investigating WU. Apparently, I can pay with my USA debit card and have the money deposited in pesos in an Argentine bank account. At WU's $117 rate. Has anyone done that?
Many people have done that

I thought someone had to go in person to a WU store in the US to make the transfer. Does it really work well? That would be a dream come true - no more sneaking into cuevas loaded with bills.

Been living on my US-imported dollar hoard, but it is running out. Specially with the older bills - "cara chica" no longer being accepted.

Back