Various Summer (And Winter) Beach Destinations For Porteños

I went through these thoughts when planning a holiday early this year with my partner. It turned out northern Brazil would be just as expensive as the USA/Caribbean. I was lucky enough to have FF points to use so that took away the airfare part. The USA/Carribean offered a lot more options in the way of activities/hotels/restaurants etc. I have spent a lot of time in Brazil previously so it wasn't going to be a cultural thing for me. Ended up going to Miami/Orlando/Punta Cana and had a great time, except for the 3 days rain in Miami. It was also my first time on vacation in both countries which helped the decision. I found the flying options limited with regards to times/stopovers to fly to northern brazil as well.
I dont understand how Northern Brazil would be just as expensive as Miami.
Last time I looked airfare to Miami from EZE was about $1000usd and Rio was about $350usd. For a family of four thats $4000 vs $1400. Hotels were about the same price.

Last time I looked airfare to Miami from EZE was about $1000usd and Rio was about $350usd. For a family of four thats $4000 vs $1400. Hotels were about the same price.
I used FF points which removed the airfare part. I looked at flying into Salvador and it was only a few hundred dollars cheaper per person than going to Miami. It's also a matter of getting specials that the airlines offer, I know LAN had a great deal early this year to fly to Miami.

I used FF points which removed the airfare part. I looked at flying into Salvador and it was only a few hundred dollars cheaper per person than going to Miami. It's also a matter of getting specials that the airlines offer, I know LAN had a great deal early this year to fly to Miami.

MIA now around 1400 and RIO between 650 and 700

Bigger variety of hotels in Miami , in my opinion

Brazil is extremely beautiful but so ridiculous expensive .If you travel to Brazil for the beaches and warm waters your best deal is the Bahian coast and north .The beaches of Pernabuco .Natal ,Marenhao are amazing. Jericoacoara and the area of Lencois Marenhases are places out of this world.

The thing is because of the wealth of the Brazilians at the moment ,the tourism industry of the country is targeted by they own Brazilians. You see and come across with fewer tourists from Europe and the States and most of then are on cruise ship touring the big coastal cities.

So you see, that comes to show you that if Argentina and Uruguay were developed countries and thus had currencies as valuable as the US dollar or euro or whatever, and Argentina and Uruguay never had financial depressions in the past few decades the way they had in real life, Brazil would pretty much always be cheaper than Argentina and Uruguay and would therefore be quite a popular destination for Argentines and Uruguayans! Simple as that. The same way that Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean islands have always been cheaper than the US/Canada and have been popular destinations for those from the US/Canada!

Maybe in that totally imaginary world, Brazil would also be more developed?

Somewhat. Not to the same degree as Argentina/Uruguay.

I dont see your point? Its not because Argentines are poor that Brazil isnt that popular with them? Or because they have the peso. If that was the case Argentines wouldnt be vacationing at all.

I dont see your point? Its not because Argentines are poor that Brazil isnt that popular with them? Or because they have the peso. If that was the case Argentines wouldnt be vacationing at all.

My point is that if Argentina and Uruguay were much more developed than they actually are and Brazil was thus somewhat more developed than in real life but not at the same rate at all, Brazil would be a much more popular destination among Argentines and Uruguayans (and would have been for decades) for various reasons. For one thing, middle-class Argentines/Uruguayans would be able to afford more than just their summer vacation in Mar del Plata, Punta del Este, or perhaps Florianopolis. Financial stability (i.e. no hyperinflation, 2001-02 style economic collapse, etc.) coupled with greater general prosperity would ensure that they would routinely make a winter vacation that's more than just skiing in Bariloche or what not. They wouldn't have to worry about restrictions on their banking accounts, they wouldn't have been subject to dictatorship-era travel restrictions in the 1970s/1980s, etc.. That greater amount of such people travelling to Brazilian beaches in the winter would generate ever more demand for more all-inclusive resorts, hotels, restaurants, and other tourist facilities, and more tourists would be attracted to these increasing options (so, a cycle that keeps on repeating itself). Plus, Brazil would be cheap by Argentine/Uruguayan standards (at least up until the current economic boom in Brazil). All of this is no different really from the US/Canada relative to Florida/Mexico/the Caribbean or from southern Australia relative to Queensland, Fiji, Bali, etc.; those phenomena have gone on for decades and not just the past few years. And above all, Brazil is really not far from Argentina/Uruguay, unlike Florida, Mexico, and the Caribbean! As mentioned earlier in this thread, simple airfares to Miami from Buenos Aires are more expensive than those to Brazilian cities from Buenos Aires.

Of course, some Argentine/Uruguayan sunseeking tourists would go to Florida, Mexico, or the Caribbean in the winter, just as some American/Canadian and European sunseeking tourists go to other places around the world (including Brazil) in the winter and some Australian sunseeking tourists go to Thailand and other places in Asia and the Pacific in the winter.

Is it possible that another reason why Florida, Mexico, and the Caribbean are more popular with Argentines/Uruguayans than Brazil is because Spanish is spoken in many of the first-mentioned areas while Portuguese is the language in Brazil - and thus there would be more of a language barrier?

Somewhat. Not to the same degree as Argentina/Uruguay.

And how can you be so sure, considering this developped Argentina is only a fantasy? Brazil doesnt exactly lack any natural resources to be able to make it a rich developped place. Maybe the culture to do so isnt there, but then again, the same could be said of Argentina.

Back