Various Summer (And Winter) Beach Destinations For Porteños

Is it possible that another reason why Florida, Mexico, and the Caribbean are more popular with Argentines/Uruguayans than Brazil is because Spanish is spoken in many of the first-mentioned areas while Portuguese is the language in Brazil - and thus there would be more of a language barrier?

Spanish might be the reason for some places, but i also think it just has something to do with the wish to be able to brag and be cool. Rich Argentines seem to be fanatic in proving how cosmopolitan they are, and going to the poor neighbouring country just isnt as awesome as going to the US/Europe, or some other place that requires at least 6 hours on a plane.

Spanish might be the reason for some places, but i also think it just has something to do with the wish to be able to brag and be cool. Rich Argentines seem to be fanatic in proving how cosmopolitan they are, and going to the poor neighbouring country just isnt as awesome as going to the US/Europe, or some other place that requires at least 6 hours on a plane.

This.

YD, have you been to Punta Del Este? Its a helluva lot more expensive than Brazil (seriously, first world prices) but its not by lack of money that it is chosen ahead of Brazil. It has always been the most attractive summer holiday destination in South America.

Rich Argentines seem to be fanatic in proving how cosmopolitan they are, and going to the poor neighbouring country just isnt as awesome as going to the US/Europe, or some other place that requires at least 6 hours on a plane.

Do rich Argentines have that tendency more than rich Americans, rich Canadians, rich Australians, or rich Europeans?

Do rich Argentines have that tendency more than rich Americans, rich Canadians, rich Australians, or rich Europeans?

Maybe, i dont know, but thats besides the point?

@yd_mtl I think the problem is that you are trying to compare what someone from the US or Europe wants from a vacation with what an Argentine wants from a vacation. Now, there are lots of differences between people and there are many exceptions, but a lot of Argentines favor the familiar over the new/exotic, and relaxing over exciting.
I am from the US and my family went on vacation a lot. We would normally get up at 7am to make the most of the day. If we went skiing, we would ski from 8am to 4pm with a break for luch.
My Argentine husband thinks that sounds awful. He wants to go somewhere and not do anything. (I have since come over to the Argentine way of vacationing--doing nothing)
This weekend I went to Chascomus, about an hour and a half outside of BsAs. It was packed. Not much to do--stare at lake, fish, make asados. And that is why people go there--it is relaxing, they have been going to the same cabin for years.
A lot of the upper class and upper middle class have "quintas" which are vacation homes near the city. This also pushes down the demand to travel far.
A lot of Argentines hate Brazilian food (I like it, but I have talked to Argentines who went to Rio and complained that they couldn´t eat anything).
Because of the cultural penetration that the US has in Argentina, many want to see Disney and the big US cities. Places like Miami feel familiar even if they haven´t been there before.

I am not passing judgement at all--you can do what you want with your vacation. But I think you first need to ask: what do people want from a vacation?

Remember, tons of people go to Mar del Plata every year even though it is expensive and crowded. They could go 40km up or down the coast and have different options, but they go to the same place year after year.

@yd_mtl I think the problem is that you are trying to compare what someone from the US or Europe wants from a vacation with what an Argentine wants from a vacation. Now, there are lots of differences between people and there are many exceptions, but a lot of Argentines favor the familiar over the new/exotic, and relaxing over exciting.
I am from the US and my family went on vacation a lot. We would normally get up at 7am to make the most of the day. If we went skiing, we would ski from 8am to 4pm with a break for luch.
My Argentine husband thinks that sounds awful. He wants to go somewhere and not do anything. (I have since come over to the Argentine way of vacationing--doing nothing)
This weekend I went to Chascomus, about an hour and a half outside of BsAs. It was packed. Not much to do--stare at lake, fish, make asados. And that is why people go there--it is relaxing, they have been going to the same cabin for years.
A lot of the upper class and upper middle class have "quintas" which are vacation homes near the city. This also pushes down the demand to travel far.
A lot of Argentines hate Brazilian food (I like it, but I have talked to Argentines who went to Rio and complained that they couldn´t eat anything).
Because of the cultural penetration that the US has in Argentina, many want to see Disney and the big US cities. Places like Miami feel familiar even if they haven´t been there before.

I am not passing judgement at all--you can do what you want with your vacation. But I think you first need to ask: what do people want from a vacation?

Remember, tons of people go to Mar del Plata every year even though it is expensive and crowded. They could go 40km up or down the coast and have different options, but they go to the same place year after year.

So it sounds like what it boils down to, in terms of Argentines/Uruguayans having different vacation patterns than North Americans/northern Europeans/Australians, is a different vacationing culture in Argentina and Uruguay, as well as more tourist options north of South America than in a place like Brazil and the fact that the Brazilian real is more valuable than the Argentine or Uruguayan peso at least nowadays?

I suppose that Argentines/Uruguayans share their kind of vacationing culture with the rest of Latin America as well as with Spain, Portugal, Italy, and similar countries?

So it sounds like what it boils down to, in terms of Argentines/Uruguayans having different vacation patterns than North Americans/northern Europeans/Australians, is a different vacationing culture in Argentina and Uruguay, as well as more tourist options north of South America than in a place like Brazil and the fact that the Brazilian real is more valuable than the Argentine or Uruguayan peso at least nowadays?

I suppose that Argentines/Uruguayans share their kind of vacationing culture with the rest of Latin America as well as with Spain, Portugal, Italy, and similar countries?
No. I would not make that generalization. Many N Americans have vacation homes or boats and do nothing at those vacation times, repeating the same experience and place every year. But they may also go somewhere adventurous another time. I speak from experience.
Nancy

No. I would not make that generalization. Many N Americans have vacation homes or boats and do nothing at those vacation times, repeating the same experience and place every year. But they may also go somewhere adventurous another time. I speak from experience.
Nancy

It is true for most Spanish and Italian families though. People from the city in general go to the same place on the coast, or the countryside, year after year. Theyre not looking for adventure, just to relax, and often bring half their house plus the dog with them.

Nancy

I suppose that a substantial enough percentage of those from anglophone and Germanic countries do that sort of vacationing, but that percentage is overwhelming among those from Latin-type countries?

Back