Violent protests in Chile: Will this spread to Argentina?

Apparently there is a definite well organized plan(by whom) to bring the government to its knees destroying the transportation system in a systematic way and cutting the food supply by Burning supermarkets to create a permanent disruption...

What I find incredible about the Chile situation is that the timing of this greatly favours the Peronists winning in Argentina . Most people looking at this will say if we vote Macri in Buenos Aires could end up like Santiago del Chile with its subways in ruins and supermarkets looted .

I feel that the situation in Chile has no turning back now and the only solution is to call snap elections and Pinera stepping down

Many believe that the "organizers" masterminds of this de facto coup would not win in an open election..?

A somewhat different analysis from the progressive left, see below. Are the chickens coming home to roost for the Chicago Boys? Maybe, time will tell:

An interesting analysis form an international observer..
"We wish we had more Chile's in the region , Chile has by far the best Macro in the region" what is the problem? Inequality... The Gini index is not an absolute measure... Also count the culture and Expectations, with the new media and social networks , the masses participate of the wealthy lifestyle in Chile, and want Flan...
The People's Rationale is" If we are the Best role model for the region, why do we have modest salaries and living conditions lower than in developed countries..? While the rich live better than in developed nations...

What I find incredible about the Chile situation is that the timing of this greatly favours the Peronists winning in Argentina . Most people looking at this will say if we vote Macri in Buenos Aires could end up like Santiago del Chile with its subways in ruins and supermarkets looted .

I feel that the situation in Chile has no turning back now and the only solution is to call snap elections and Pinera stepping down
In fact, rioting is not happening here because MM is leaving.

I wouldn't expect rioting, if it occurs at all, to happen until a few months have passed and the Peronists have not made any progress - more than likely things will be worse. Then trouble could occur. It's also possible that violence could be postponed by increasing social spending to the breaking point which might be more than a few months.

I feel that the Chile disturbances are not grassroots as it seems very organised and the destruction of so many assets of the Chilean people seems to have a organised feel to it with an intent to cause massive disruption to peoples ordinary lives .

Chile of all places in South America does have the best economic indicators . Yes it does not have free education, but it has higher wages than 80 percent of the countries here except Panama or Uruguay . The inflation rate of Chile is very low as well giving people a stability , also credit is readily available to help people tide over . Compared to Argentina life in Chile is much better for most people as people here struggle with 5 percent inflation per month , very low wages in us doillars . a currency that is continually devaluing that makes it impossible to make plans for the future . and credit nearly non existent . if you are lucky to get credit the interest rates are the highest in Latin America bar Venezuela .

Argentinian people are very tolerant and can put up with a lot . I agree with Sergio in his analysis that if the next government of Fernandez does not improve the economy and tame inflation peoples patience will explode . Their bronca will be directed to the business class and we wil see attacks similar to Chiles .

Of of all the countries in South America that have the most unequal social system is Brazil . There you have obscenely wealthy people living side by side with those in Favelas . Brazil social system is not generous like Argentinas ( was improved a lot under Lula ) I find it surprising that Chile implodes but Brazil does not . Chile is by all means a much better country to live in than Brazil and for that reason it has more inmigrants per capita than most of its neighbours excluding Argentina .

I find it surprising that Chile implodes but Brazil does not .

For Brazilians the current situation is simply the status quo and they're quite used to it. I don't think I've ever met a Brazilian that has expected the government to be anything other than corrupt and incompetent.

Back