Visa - Certificate of criminal records

Joew

Registered
Hello,

Anyone know what is the English equivalent to the below visa criteria:

"Certificate of criminal records issued by the country of origin or the place where the person has lived for the last 5 years prior to his/her entry to the country (only required for those people who are over 16 years old)"

I asked a friend who is a detective in London and all he could think of was a "CRB (Criminal records bureau)" - but that wouldn't work in this situation as the company inquiring needed to contact the police direct, bypassing the individual related to the query.

Hi Joe

CRB is something different, you need a subject access request, available here:
http://www.met.police.uk/information/request_forms.htm

Its basically a request for disclosure on data the police hold on you. Providing you don't have a criminal record you get a form back saying "no data held" which means you are officially not a criminal. Takes 40 days to get processed, then you need to take the form to the argentine consulate in london to get the stamp of the apostille.

In my experience, the Met would not give me the certificate. I had to approach the local constablulary in Camden. And I had to provide fingerprints (which the locals here in BA did for me) and I've been waiting three months and still nothing. They seemed shocked by the request at first. I also lived in Canada and there they tell you outright that it takes six months and costs C$250. A bloody nightmare. And then you got that whole thing where the consulate has to put there stamp on it. I'm trying to do it from here and it ain't easy. I gather the FBI is the US has an efficient service, but other places... whoa. Good luck with it.

Lee said:
I am wondering about criminal records. My past has a "blemish" so to speak...nothing recent...certainly nothing in over a decade. Since there is nothing in the last 5 years as they request would I have any problems?

Any idea?

The last five years is all migraciones wants to know about.

Unless the FBI report shows criminal activity prior to that, you shouldn't have a problem.

[I gather the FBI is the US has an efficient service, but other places... whoa. Good luck with it.[/quote]
The FBIs service is extreemly efficient. My total turn around time was about 9 days. And their document does not require an apostille.

Can you request the records through a website from the FBI? Is it necessary to ask the FBI or the local police of where you lived for the last 5 years - for instance the Phoenix police department?

cafayate.com said:
Can you request the records through a website from the FBI? Is it necessary to ask the FBI or the local police of where you lived for the last 5 years - for instance the Phoenix police department?

Go to the US state Department website, it tells you how to request the FBI criminal history report. You can't do it online, you have to fill out a form and mail it in I believe.

I had a lawyer handle all of this for me - worth the $300 I paid for the residency portion of my journey. You can find info on lawyer recommendations in other threads. Don't feel like repeating.

ElQueso said:
Go to the US state Department website, it tells you how to request the FBI criminal history report. You can't do it online, you have to fill out a form and mail it in I believe.

I had a lawyer handle all of this for me - worth the $300 I paid for the residency portion of my journey. You can find info on lawyer recommendations in other threads. Don't feel like repeating.

If you only paid $300 (US) to have a lawyer do all (or even most) of the work necessary to get you your resident visa, why wouldn't you recommend him/her now?

Though I realize that other fees would still apply, such as shipping and translation of documents, three hundred dollars is an incredible bargain!

I have recommended him all over the place. I am simply tired of repeating myself to people who do no searching of the forum to find answers that already exist.

And I agree - it's a good bargain. It's antoher $300 USD to get the DNI completed.

There are actually many lawyers out there who charge various fees, all the way up to around $3000 USD. Gabriel Celano (there's his name - it can be searched, but my posts mention it in more than a couple of places) is a reasonable guy who speaks good English and is certified in immigration law here in BA.

His prices may have gone up a bit, I don't know. It's been a few months.

Back