Visa Run = Fake Tourist = Permatourist Deported At Ezeiza

Um, a Bolivian has right to live in Argentina permanently, as they are a from a bordering country. That's the difference. Most "permatourists" are not from bordering countries are they? Therefore don't actually have legal right to live here.

Guess what would have happened to Spanish tourism if they require all Germans, Brits, Finns , to apply for residence papers if they spend time in Spain. Guess its a EU privilege , but before the EU it was the same way

Um, a Bolivian has right to live in Argentina permanently, as they are a from a bordering country. That's the difference. Most "permatourists" are not from bordering countries are they? Therefore don't actually have legal right to live here.

This brings into question why Bolivians have the right to live here any more than someone from Spain. If its a question of geography why don't mexicans have the right to live in the US?

This brings into question why Bolivians have the right to live here any more than someone from Spain. If its a question of geography why don't mexicans have the right to live in the US?

Seriously? Different governments ... different rules for immigration.
You can be born in Israel or Germany and not be a citizen. In Argentina if a foreign couple has a baby here everyone receives residency/citizenship.

I think it's fine to compare different governments immigration policies but you can't honestly think that every country operates the same ...

I wonder if their system shows how many days of the year you have been in the country over a period of time - it would make these cases a lot easier to process? Would they reject you if you had been in the country say 130 days of the year but entered/left 6-10 times and thus have a passport full of stamps.

If they have a system that works it should have the ability to do that. When I visited last month they appeared to have that capability at EZE, passport scans, eye scans and figerprints, very efficient I thought! But judging from what Steve wrote in a previous post maybe they don't use all facilities available to the full extent of the law. In Australia, you would be in all probability on the next flight home. Permatourist is a cute term, but in all probability I would give you high odds that any such people are working...illegally. Maybe it is wise that such people are in Argentina, and not a detention facility in Australia!

You would be more apt to question why Americans have the right to bear arms rather than why Mexicans don't have the right to live there. It's because it's in the Constitution, as is the policy for the acceptance of all people from bordering countries to immigreate to Argentina, written at a time when Argentina needed to increase population. And in fact, the immigration policies throughout the early part of the last century did in fact favour Spaniards and Italians -- hence why today there are so many people with that background. And yes, it's ridiculous to try to compare immigration policies from one country to another. Some countries have policies that, on paper at least, are meant to favour the immigration of skilled workers to fill the gaps in their own population, some look preferably on money, some take people just to garner headlines (Depardieu, anyone?) and some stick to what was written in their Constitucion 200 years ago.

Seriously? Different governments ... different rules for immigration.
You can be born in Israel or Germany and not be a citizen. In Argentina if a foreign couple has a baby here everyone receives residency/citizenship.

I think it's fine to compare different governments immigration policies but you can't honestly think that every country operates the same ...

I'm just trying to make a point that the perma-tourists don't really do much harm but a bigger influx of people from poorer South American countries probably will, even though they have the 'right' to do so.

At the end of the day its about politics rather than whats best for the country as a whole.

it's a bit offensive to imply that migrants from poorer neighbouring countries aren't contributing to society. the politics behind immigration policy is about regional integration, like the EU.

I for one am glad they're cracking down on those perpetual tourists that just spend money, import dollars, and fall victim to local scams. And don't get me started on all those Yankees/Brits/Australians dealing drugs on street corners, murdering each other at night clubs, or building shanty towns in the middle of affluent areas. They definitely have to go.

Out of all the things to crack down on in Argentina... fake tourists! :rolleyes:

I wonder how long you're banned from the country. In Spain I heard they bar you from entering for 3 years after living there illegally... and in the US could be 5 to 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody knows anything, because the law is rather flighty and inconsistently applied.

Back