Waiting in line at the supermarket

i may be biased but have u ever encountered anything similar in any other part of the world when it comes to civil manner being flushed down the toilet when it comes to ba??

People need to get a little less defensive on here. I was being very much tongue in cheek. I've lived in the "disorganised" part of Italy for ten years and I know better than most what comes with the territory of living somewhere like BA.

I'd rather become a maid myself than send one out with a shopping list. But that gave me a good laugh.

I'll keep a look out for those abuelas!! Crazy cart drivers!

esllou said:
What's the deal with the slowness of lines at the checkout in supermarket? At first, it was funny. Then, about 15 minutes later when I'd advance about four feet, I wasn't smiling anymore.

Each person who pays with a CC seems to add 3-4 minutes to the waiting time? Are they using Pony Express to make their CC verification checks?

and then the checkout girls have to keep writing on bits of paper - what's that about? :rolleyes:

and then the real cherry on the cake. In my local Disco supermarket, the girl calls the security guard over on around half the transactions. I'm still trying to work out the logic of when she does it, and it's beyond me: high payers - NO, buying alcohol - NO, that's not it, paying by CC - nope! And of course, the security guard is usually trying to chat up some local girls so we all look at each other on the line and tut and raise eyebrows. SORT IT OUT! YOU'RE A BUSINESS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD...IT'S NOT OUT OF YOUR CONTROL!!

....and breathe

so now I bring a book.

Shopping in the Asian markets usually means a lot less waiting time. Only go to the major supers at 9AM or 4PM and avoid them in the early afternoon and early evening. I think Carrefour has stopped accepting facturas for payment, but they are busier on Wednesdays and Thursdays (discount days paying with debit card). As a result, Tuesdays are slower.

Checkout at Disco is always the worst.

It is amazing to see someone buy a Coke with credit/debit card, and shopping cart "etiquite" is simply not highly developed SOTB.

On the other hand, I have recently noticed "enforcement" of the ten item limit in the "caja rapida" at the Carrefour I patronize.

It is one small step for impatient shoppers, but there are frequent delays for "cambio" as many in line (including me) pay with $100 pesos notes in order to get change without going to a bank.

Reactions: Joe
yeah, I noticed the quieter hours are fine. I had to go to Coto at 6pm last Saturday and it was a living nightmare.

esllou, in argentina the customer is the enemy! im subject to their chaos and their cr==== attitude constantly.

Oh yeah, I had a great experience at Jumbo where all lines were busy and the 10-item line completely free. I had maybe 15 items but the lady prefered staring at customers rather than helping out her colleagues .... must be a specifical benefit for the employees to be assigned to the 10-items & relax line.

Santi said:
Oh yeah, I had a great experience at Jumbo where all lines were busy and the 10-item line completely free. I had maybe 15 items but the lady prefered staring at customers rather than helping out her colleagues .... must be a specifical benefit for the employees to be assigned to the 10-items & relax line.
How extremely service-minded would you be, if you received 7 or 8 pesos an hour?

No attendant will get a better pay if they provide better customer service, they only get more tired - that's where the real problem is buried.

esllou said:
and then the checkout girls have to keep writing on bits of paper - what's that about? :rolleyes:

Delivery & bill paying. This is about having your purchase sent to your home. They are filling out the delivery form. Be careful of the cashier with "pagofacil" signs. This is where people can pay their bills.

Back