Waiting in line at the supermarket

amat said:
I wish they'd introduce the same system they did in Ireland - either bring your own bags or pay for plastic ones. it seems so wasteful..
Ah, but there is a law demanding that super markets charge for plastic bags - enforcing it? Welcome to Argentina.

Napoleon said:
Why don't you send each one of them across the street with a AR$100 bill to the 'commerce line' and have them get camio?!?!?!?"
He-he, "Bonaparte", have you ever tried to change a 100 $ bill to 2s in an Argentine bank - I suggest you do :D

When you leave the bank with your 100 peso bill, you'll know why they don't even try.

In Castilla, Spain I learned that "Un caballero mostra ni impaciencia ni cólera nada"

EvergreenGal said:
What amazes me is that people will stand in line and wait here forever and for everything...groceries, banks, and the like....but get them behind the wheel of a car and look out...NO patience!!!! Gotta get there....gotta get there NOW!!! Horns honking....weaving in and out of traffic....first off the stop lights....

Just hit me as funny....:)

I agree with you Evergreen 100percent but a lot of people here are passive agressive and there is so much frustations in everdaylife that for them their car is on outlet for their anger.

What amazes me is that in a country with an excess of labor, why not have baggers at the checkout? Instead, the checkout person rings everything up and then starts bagging it. I usually wind up doing it myself to save time.

Have people had any luck with ordering online here? I miss fresh direct in the US. Hate the supermarket and would love to just do a bulk order but I've been a little hesitant to try ordering online (God knows when anything would arrive:p)

citygirl said:
What amazes me is that in a country with an excess of labor, why not have baggers at the checkout? Instead, the checkout person rings everything up and then starts bagging it. I usually wind up doing it myself to save time.

Have people had any luck with ordering online here? I miss fresh direct in the US. Hate the supermarket and would love to just do a bulk order but I've been a little hesitant to try ordering online (God knows when anything would arrive:p)

Where are you shopping? At the Disco (unless you are in the rapid caja line), you are expected to bag your own. At Carrefour the cashiers usually bag as they check...same with Coto.

For what it's worth, Disco and Jumbo are owned by the same company.

Why orde online? There is always someone willing to take orders on the phone and deliver to your home immediately. Works not only well with large retailers (jumbo, carrefour etc.) but also with fresh fruit & vegies markets like the one in San Telmo.

Santi said:
Why orde online? There is always someone willing to take orders on the phone and deliver to your home immediately. Works not only well with large retailers (jumbo, carrefour etc.) but also with fresh fruit & vegies markets like the one in San Telmo.

The best reason for most expats not to order by phone (especially with the major retailers) is the need to prepay...as well as the language barrier.

Good point! .... but learning by doing is not bad either ;-)

Honestly, I prefer to walk to the market and have a look at the stuff I buy.

Back