Want to expat! Hungry for knowledge

Joe said:
Kevin,

I'm sure you know we the government monitors internet traffic and I am surprised you didn't take precautions about keeping your identity secret.

Kevin, I suggest you forget about traveling to Argentina as we already have a bed assigned to you in a brand new facility built by FEMA especially dedicated to bloggers. There you will find the type of computers commonly on display in furniture show rooms to do all your future blogging.

If you attempt to leave the country we will be forced to send you to our new facility immediately.

Joe Stalinsky
Regional Director FEMA,
Heart Mountain, Wyoming

Yep, laugh it up. I'm scared outta my mind and the world is falling apart, but hell, why not?

Goshinki said:
I'm scared outta my mind

Although now, as many posters have acknowledged, Argentina is no longer a budget destination, I think you will find the cost of psychological professionals a bargain compared to the USA.

Joe said:
Although now, as many posters have acknowledged, Argentina is no longer a budget destination, I think you will find the cost of psychological professionals a bargain compared to the USA.

What will the cost be of my foot up your ass when I get there?

Goshinki said:
What will the cost be of my foot up your ass when I get there?

Paranoid schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder that causes a person to interpret reality in an abnormal way. Some of the most common characteristics of this condition include believing things that are not real which is also referred to as having delusions.

A person who is affected by this condition may show signs and symptoms such as hearing voices that aren’t there, the belief that people are out to get them, anger, anxiety, thought of suicide or actual suicide attempts and acts of violence (emphasis mine).

Now, imagine if all this weird things turned to be true... (after all, Guantanamo exists). Crazy conspirationist ramblings aside, you people have never been in a 3rd world country if you think that Argentina is one. It is not Sweden, but not Paraguay or Cambodia either. And for the anti-Kirchneristas afraid of the people and the unions, stay out there, because this is the future of my country, and we like it like that. Wait for October to see what candidate people vote, and then you will understand.

Goshinki said:
If I go to Canada instead I can keep my car and belongings, travel for less, gain easier residency, I won't have to learn a new language (though I may for fun) plus I have a friend up there. Canada won't be safe either if the world calamity reaches a full-blown state, but if I go far enough north I can at very least buy some time.

Goshinski -- you've been misinformed about how easy it is to get residency in Canada. It's actually even harder for a lot of the categories to get residency in Canada than it is in the USA.

Unlike the USA, marrying a Canadian does not give you rights to live in Canada. This is why my husband is in the process of application for permanent residency there. In fact the visa process is a huge headache, contains some rather invasive questions on the forms, and takes about 1 year to complete.

We both had to provide financial and criminal records. I had to provide an employment history and proof of funds to support the 2 of us for minimum of one year.

He had to submit a history of everything he's done in his life back to the age of 18, all of his diplomas and degrees, medical history, family history.

We had to answer a questionnaire about how we met, what our first meeting was like, who proposed to who, where, when, who was there, photo documentation etc. All very easy to do if you've had a genuine relationship, but if you're trying for a fake marriage or have been with your partner for less than 2 years it's very difficult to provide the detail they request. If you've known each other for less than 2 years you can pretty much guarantee that you'll be pulled in for separate interviews about the nature of your relationship.

For skilled worker visas it is based on a point system -- you get points awarded based on your language skills, high school diploma, university degrees, professional experience, number of years of professional work experience, age etc etc. If you don't have at least one university degree you can pretty much forget about it. The process takes about 18-24 months.

If you're a professional and a company is willing to hire you they can get you a temporary work visa, but again this is based on your qualifications, degrees, and work experience -- which you've said yours are limited.

For a student visa you first need to get accepted to a recognised college or university, and then once accepted you can apply for the visa. The visa usually grants you a 12 month stay post-graduation but does not become permanent. While fees are very low for Canadians, for foreigners you'd be looking at about 25k a year, which sounds like it's out of your budget.

As an American you're allowed to visit Canada as a tourist for 6 mos out of 12. You need to have funds that will support you for the 6 month period in your account, and 3k is not going to cut it.

The only other thing you could try is working holiday visas, except that I don't know that there's any WHV programme between US / Canada.

Although Canada is your Northern neighbour, it's not as easy to move there legally as you think. You can read more about visas at www.cic.gc.ca -- get the official info instead of stuff from the blogs.

You'd probably be better off going to Alaska. Except don't be dumb and hike into the woods with a 20 lb bag of rice and end up dying in a bus a couple of miles from town.

marksoc said:
Now, imagine if all this weird things turned to be true... (after all, Guantanamo exists). Crazy conspirationist ramblings aside, you people have never been in a 3rd world country if you think that Argentina is one. It is not Sweden, but not Paraguay or Cambodia either. And for the anti-Kirchneristas afraid of the people and the unions, stay out there, because this is the future of my country, and we like it like that. Wait for October to see what candidate people vote, and then you will understand.

Marksoc -- I take it you've never been to the north of this country. It is third world up there, it's another country entirely. And you don't even have to go all the way to the Bolivian border to see so. Buenos Aires is one place, but Santiago del Estero, Chaco, Formosa, among others, are an entirely different thing.

Okay Syngirl, I will remember that as I do my research, thank you for the head's up. Although I think it must be harder for you as an Argentine citizen considering that Argentina is on the list of "Countries and territories whose citizens require visas in order to enter Canada as visitors" and the United States is not.

They make it look very easy on that site, don't they? "Fill out an application". There's even an optional way to have it expedited.

Lee said:
Goshinki, have you checked out the book "Emergency"?

Not a lot of really "practical" info but an interesting read and some good general info on the topic of surviving in the shrinking and every changing world we find ourselves in...

Link

That's awesome dude! I absolutely want to check it out, thanks for the tip.

Neil Strauss... I've heard of him. I wonder what it was from.... Coast to Coast AM?

Back