Western Union money transfer

If you are travelling from the US (for 3-6 months) is the smartest thing to do is download the Western Union App then look to exchange? I'm guessing you need a WU account for all this?

I have been using WU to send money from Scotland to my Fiance in Patagonia and the rate is fantastic..

Is there anything stopping me when i am actually in Argentina logging into my account and transferring money to my Fiance to pick up for me.

Obviously i have a bank account in UK in pounds which i would be using but am not sure if WU picks up my location being in Argentina and if any issues arise because of that ??

I do have someone in Scotland who could log into my account in UK and send it so its an actual pounds to peso transfer.

Thanks in advance

I have been using WU to send money from Scotland to my Fiance in Patagonia and the rate is fantastic..

Is there anything stopping me when i am actually in Argentina logging into my account and transferring money to my Fiance to pick up for me.

Obviously i have a bank account in UK in pounds which i would be using but am not sure if WU picks up my location being in Argentina and if any issues arise because of that ??

I do have someone in Scotland who could log into my account in UK and send it so its an actual pounds to peso transfer.

Thanks in advance

no I send money from my US account to my Arg account all the time time. I'm in Arg. No issues at all.

If you are travelling from the US (for 3-6 months) is the smartest thing to do is download the Western Union App then look to exchange? I'm guessing you need a WU account for all this?

The problem is you need an Arg account to transfer to. If you don't have an account then you'll need to go to a physical location to pick up the money. 75% of the pros of Western Union is that you can do it account to account and you don't have to interact with any of the local businesses and the issues they will create. Most likely you'll need to make an appointment to pick up the money because they would normally not have that much money there. Then you need to actually go there and stand in line forever while they mess around. Then you have to hope they didn't tip off any of their friends that some gringo has an appointment to pick up money that morning. You will regret the hassle this introduces into your life.

There was a rash of robberies in my city all with this same motive. Robbers were being tipped off by rapipago and western union workers regarding who and when big transfers were being picked up.

If you can go account to account do it. Much simpler and safer.

If you're coming to Arg to stay in BA for 3-6 months, the smartest thing to do is bring 100 dollar bills with you. If you're staying in the interior things will be a little harder because people aren't standing on the corner advertising cambio.

My Gf lives in Rio Gallegos and i did the dollars last year but WU much easier and less hassle for me.. I will just send the money to her as only going for 2 or 3 months...Well providing they start letting foregners in...Wedding venue booked for Jan 16th...Might not make my own wedding ...jaja

My Gf lives in Rio Gallegos and i did the dollars last year but WU much easier and less hassle for me.. I will just send the money to her as only going for 2 or 3 months...Well providing they start letting foregners in...Wedding venue booked for Jan 16th...Might not make my own wedding ...jaja

Me and my gf flew to the states in March and got married. Then covid happened and she wasn't allow to return with me to Arg. We've been away from each other for most of our married time. Def tough! Good luck!

Me and my gf flew to the states in March and got married. Then covid happened and she wasn't allow to return with me to Arg. We've been away from each other for most of our married time. Def tough! Good luck!
I feel your pain...I flew back to Scotland end of feb...had a flight booked for April...could see what was away to happen with quarantine etc so brought it forward to march...bought a ring..2 days before my flight the argentine borders closed.
Ended up proposing on facetime lol..I have had 3 flighs cancelled..got another one booked for Nov 10 th but not looking good.
I booked her and her son on a flight in October on the 12th...but she cant get to Bs that is the problem..praying the domestic start up as flight to madrid from Bs is a special and got her booked madrid to Edinburgh..booked for 3 months but chance to extend it if she wants.
Decided be cool to get married in Scotland but the wedding visa is proving a nightmare as they are closed and in Bs...

?

How does the residency rule apply if you are married..? Do you need to be living full time in Argentina as we plan on splitting our time 9 months in uk and 3 in the argentine summer. Was hoping if this rule still in place if we did manage to get married in Scotland i might be able to get in under residency rule but it appears after reading your post that is not possible?

The problem is you need an Arg account to transfer to. If you don't have an account then you'll need to go to a physical location to pick up the money. 75% of the pros of Western Union is that you can do it account to account and you don't have to interact with any of the local businesses and the issues they will create. Most likely you'll need to make an appointment to pick up the money because they would normally not have that much money there. Then you need to actually go there and stand in line forever while they mess around. Then you have to hope they didn't tip off any of their friends that some gringo has an appointment to pick up money that morning. You will regret the hassle this introduces into your life.

There was a rash of robberies in my city all with this same motive. Robbers were being tipped off by rapipago and western union workers regarding who and when big transfers were being picked up.

If you can go account to account do it. Much simpler and safer.

If you're coming to Arg to stay in BA for 3-6 months, the smartest thing to do is bring 100 dollar bills with you. If you're staying in the interior things will be a little harder because people aren't standing on the corner advertising cambio.
Jblaze, you make some great points here about the safety and peoplle tipping off others. One BIG doubt I have, if I send to my Girlfriends bank here, how does it appear on her bank?
1. Is it WU transfer or do you know exactly the name that appears in the bank statement? Cause of AFIP Im asking. Since I will be sending to her and I also have now Arg. Citizenship.
2. Any amounts that the nice guys from afip will come asking? I need about $1500-$2000 monthly these next couple of months. Please advice your expierences, Thanks.

Jblaze, you make some great points here about the safety and peoplle tipping off others. One BIG doubt I have, if I send to my Girlfriends bank here, how does it appear on her bank?
1. Is it WU transfer or do you know exactly the name that appears in the bank statement? Cause of AFIP Im asking. Since I will be sending to her and I also have now Arg. Citizenship.
2. Any amounts that the nice guys from afip will come asking? I need about $1500-$2000 monthly these next couple of months. Please advice your expierences, Thanks.

I have BBVA and my statement says "pago a preveedores OP.XXXXXXX" and states the amount of the transfer and that's it. Maybe there's a back end where they can see the info but that's all I can see. I have been transferring 3-4k a month each month in 2020 and I haven't heard a peep out of anyone.

Back