What Are You Watching On Netflix? Was It Any Good?

I've fallen down the Gran Hotel rabbit hole -- the first time I've watched something that could be classified as a "telenovela". Basically a Spanish Downton Abbey -- takes place in a hotel rather than a manor, has the upstairs/downstairs of the hotel staff vs the family that owns the place, pregnant maids, schemers, the Carson equivalent is a woman... it is at times absolutely ridiculous but no more so than some of more ridiculous plotlines of Downton. It's 3 seasons, 90 or so episodes?? I'm on episode 10 so may lose interest well before the end -- and the nice thing is that it is an end, the show originally aired in Spain 2011-14 so no long waits for new seasons.

The other that is on Netflix Argentina is the Pablo Escobar series from Colombia that they aired on I think Trece last year. I started watching but haven't been hooked on it, maybe will return to it later. It's also a crazy 75 episodes or so.

Both of these I think are lacking English subtitles but they do have Closed Caption or Latin American spanish ones if you like.

And I finally figured out who the star of Gran Hotel looks like -- a very young Matt Dillon... hearts aflutter for women of my age :D

We've watched the first half dozen episodes of Grace and Frankie (Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, with Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston). Just a lighthearted and funny escape. If you like Lily Tomlin, you will really enjoy her character.

We've watched the first half dozen episodes of Grace and Frankie (Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, with Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston). Just a lighthearted and funny escape. If you like Lily Tomlin, you will really enjoy her character.
But then you have to tolerate a true piece of shit known as Hanoi Jane.

But then you have to tolerate a true piece of shit known as Hanoi Jane.

Well, you might like the sitcom then, because Fonda plays a vacuous social type, while Tomlin is the one you love.

I'm trying to remember if my loathing of Charlton Heston's or Clint Eastwood's self-righteous politics has ever kept me from watching their B movies. I don't think so, but maybe.

I'm trying to remember if my loathing of Charlton Heston's or Clint Eastwood's self-righteous politics has ever kept me from watching their B movies. I don't think so, but maybe.

I agree absolutely. Why let politics get in the way? We should all be bigger people.

You can support the art without supporting the artist.

Well, you might like the sitcom then, because Fonda plays a vacuous social type, while Tomlin is the one you love.

You need to brush up on your history, Heston and Eastwood were not directly responsible for 12 GI prisoner deaths. Fonda was.

I agree absolutely. Why let politics get in the way? We should all be bigger people.

You can support the art without supporting the artist.
You call that art? My standards are somewhat higher.

I really was surprised with "Bloodlines" on Netflix. It is suspenseful but at the same time has very developed characters. Anyone else see it?

Back