What crimes have you been a victim of in BA?

What crimes have you been a victim of in BA?

• I have never been a victim

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I have been robbed

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • I have been assaulted

Votes: 35 25.4%
  • I have had my personal things stolen

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I have been burglarized

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • I have been shot

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
3 Attempted pickpockets when on the subway. I caught them before they got anything and they promptly left the train.

1 Attempted mugging when walking away from the abasto at night after watching a film with my wife. Got away by basically running into oncoming traffic with my wife.

So i've never been an actual victim of crime.... must mean BA is very safe! :rolleyes:

editing to add, my wife says almost all the kids she teaches have stories of themselves or friends being mugged. I also have friends who have been mugged.

John.St said:
If you don't understand the strong bias introduced by reporting incidents happening to others, I suggest you study statistics again and this time pay attention to what your professor tells you.

I am the author of the older poll (two years of statistics at CBA) and it was carefully planned to show

1. the subsection of society, which frequent baExpats
2. avoid duplicates.

Addition: The Definitions used in the old poll are FBI standard definitions.

I'm glad you can read FBI standard definitions but its sad you can't read posts written in simple English.

I have no problem with your definitions. But that's what I have been repeating over and over, it isn't a thread started by either you or lamarque. The admin started this thread and didn't feel the need to put people's experiences in a box.

For some reason you and lamarque want to do that and that's fine. Start your own thread. Don't try to make this thread into what you'd like to see.

And the same goes for me, hence I am not even putting my vote in either way.

My problem was with lamarque trying to define this thread in his own way to begin with, now you come up and say the definitions are yours and are defending it. Fine, I don't care. I am done arguing with lamarque and so I'm done arguing with you.

PS (Lamarque and John): If you like these definitions and standards so much then start your own thread. Its simple to do. Or do you need schooling in that from your professors? And along the same lines, by the way, its a fallacious assumption that there will definitely be repetitions, in my opinion. But of course, you're entitled to those assumptions. Point remains that the thread is not started by you or lamarque, so don't define it your way.

nicoenarg said:
My problem was with lamarque trying to define this thread in his own way to begin with, now you come up and say its yours and are defending it. Fine, I don't care. I am done arguing with lamarque and so I'm done arguing with you.

I do not understand what point you are arguing, nicoenarg, although I'm happy you were able to convince lamarque to include paragraph breaks. The original post put up by the admin was clear enough:

"Mention only crimes that were committed against you personally."

That doesn't include your best friend, your spouse, etc. All of the options within the poll use the first person singular - "I have been robbed" etc. It seems clear enough. It also seems pretty clear that this poll is based on the one John put up a few years ago, but that isn't explicitly stated, nor did the admin include John's definitions from his original post. I happen to find them helpful, as I didn't really understand the difference in this poll between being robbed, and having personal items stolen.

John has pointed out a few issues with sampling bias which can occur when you include everyone you know. For example, you aren't going to be able to count everyone you know who has *not* been a victim of a crime. Crimes are naturally going to stick out in your head, and weigh with more importance. Whether you and I agree on this is irrelevant, though - the poll is explicit and specific as is, without lamarque's addenda.

It's been a long time since I studied stats but I'd like to see the 'time' variable included in the poll somehow.

For example, to me at least it's not accurate for someone who has been an expat for 1 month to post that nothing has happened to him/her and have that carry the same statistical weight as someone here for a year for example. It skews the results.

Nice simple poll. It would be great to make it a little more accurate...

nicoenarg said:
Okay Lamarque, honestly dude my head's spinning trying to understand your posts. Either take more time in writing what you write or leave room for people to misunderstand what you mean.

Anyway, I said "you personally seem to believe that its all bloated out of proportion and that Buenos Aires is not dangerous and the crime situation is not getting worse". When one uses the words "seem to", that means, "you appear as saying..." or something equivalent. No I don't know for sure or I would have said "you believe". Big difference but I can understand if you didn't catch that.

"That is the problem if she add other people that has suffer incident been around her then she have to add people that has not suffer any incident in her presence and that only mess things up."

I think what you said was that if citygirl related the incident of her boyfriend and her best friend being robbed, then she has to relate the incident of others that she knows who have not been robbed. That sounds like "if you have been a victim of a crime one day, then the reality that you weren't a victim of a crime the next day should negate your experience the day before and should prove that crime does not exist."

Again, you and I are arguing over something that shouldn't even be argued about in the first place. This isn't your thread and the criteria is not yours. That's what I am talking about here. Try not to set boundaries and be a referee where you weren't appointed as one.

And please take some time to write your posts before you post them so its easier to understand for the rest of us. I am not trying to insult you. I would do the same thing if I dared write anything in Spanish.

You need to chill dude!!! Lamarque speaks 100 times better english than your measly spanish I am sure;)

nicoenarg said:
I'm glad you can read FBI standard definitions but its sad you can't read posts written in simple English.

I have no problem with your definitions. But that's what I have been repeating over and over, it isn't a thread started by either you or lamarque. The admin started this thread and didn't feel the need to put people's experiences in a box. ...

Do you have an explanation in simple English to why the admin starts every single question with "I have"?

Very sensible if the two polls are to be compared.

LostinBA said:
It's been a long time since I studied stats but I'd like to see the 'time' variable included in the poll somehow.

For example, to me at least it's not accurate for someone who has been an expat for 1 month to post that nothing has happened to him/her and have that carry the same statistical weight as someone here for a year for example. It skews the results.

I agree, but the poll system on this board has a limit of ten questions.

To include the time aspect we could close the old poll after (e.g.) one month and start a new one with "I have ... since <date>"

LostinBA said:

Very true, but even so the active members in this forum are mainly the ones that has been here for longer time, very few of the people that just arrive is active or add experience or votes in this polls ;)

lamarque said:
Very true, but even so the active members in this forum are mainly the ones that has been here for longer time, very few of the people that just arrive is active or add experience or votes in this polls ;)

And you know that how? Only a few people detailed their experience but it looks like 54 people have voted. Who knows the make up of the voters? And interestingly, it appears 50% of those that voted have been a victim of a crime (multiples for at least some given the numbers).

No idea how the numbers will change as more people vote but 50% seems a pretty high percentage of people affected by crime to me.

nicoenarg said:
I have no problem with your definitions. ...
now you come up and say the definitions are yours and are defending it.
In your mind, am I the FBI?

If not, I find your comment incomprehensible.

Back