What food do you miss the most?

What food do you miss the most?

• N.American: Mash Potatoes, Mac & Cheese, Sloppy Joes, Turkey Sandwiches, Green Bean Casseroles etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real Big Salads: Caesar, Chicken, Mexican, Veggie etc

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Pizza & Beer: Deep dish & thin with various topping, spicy sauce & Beer

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Tai Food: Spicy Pat Tai, Tai soup, Paneng, lettuce wraps, green chicken curry.etc.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • N.Mexican: Burritos, Tostadas, Tacos, Nachos, Soup etc.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
A local chef recently told me about a cheese store in the high end mall in Recoleta, can't remember it's name, that he says has wonderful local cheeses. Havent had a chance to get there. Has anyone tried them?

jb5 said:
A local chef recently told me about a cheese store in the high end mall in Recoleta, can't remember it's name, that he says has wonderful local cheeses. Havent had a chance to get there. Has anyone tried them?

I guess you mean Valenti in Patio Bullrich. It is good, excellent service but expensive. La tablita in Belgrano has a bigger variety of national and imported cheeses and they have flavoir - seriously strong cheddar that will make your gums hurt. It is cheaper and is like a little touch of France in Bsas..see my previous posts on La Tablita.
FYI Valenti in Unicenter has a sandwich bar to go with it and so you can try some of their wares as a lunch snack however they love to let you try anything you ask from salamis, cheeses, pates even vino tinto one Sunday I didnt need lunch!

Reactions: jb5
I miss nothing! Mostly I like fresh fruits and vegetables and the neighborhood vegetable vendor has it overflowing, it's fresh and the tomatoes don't act as if artificially ripened. SO much better than the supermarket back home. I order whatever is available at the organic markets online and it is delivered with a smile by these cute little Argentina guys to my door. I don't eat out often, but when I do it is good. I live in Palermo and as far as I am concerned, I am in Pizza Heaven. There's a pizza restaurant on just about every corner but I know where the best place is. I used to live in Bariloche and fast food places have been tried there but didn't last. I think most people there just like sit-down restaurants.

I don't think ARgentina is lacking of good cheese comparing to the US, I don't know about other parts of the world much, the selection of spreadables like casamcrem among others that are flavored is great in variety and taste, also queso cremoso is abundant and fresh, almost nonexistent in the US where cheese lack of flavor for most part, except some imports which are expensive though. Yogurts also taste a lot better here, specially the one that is drinkable.

I was gonna say (fresh) seafood, but then realized what I actually miss is inexpensive variety of everything.

I've been through the list and most every product (can't find kale, really?), with some exceptions, can be found in Argentina, at least in B.A. But in every case it's either too expensive or so understocked, or randomly stocked, that you just can't count on it. And you don't. After a while I guess people become acquainted and desist.
I'll call this failure of the Developed World path.

Since as Steve pointed out Argentines are so intrinsically superior to Mexicans and other Latin Americans, they don't catch up either, resulting in abandoning the Developing World path.

And that's how food makes me realize why I like Argentina as a sort of base. In a time when changes appear to come faster and faster, and everything seems so unpredictable, Argentina is both stuck in time, but maintaining a minimal level of recognizable civilization. It's so unbelievably neutral, as neutral as the blandness of a the food. And that's why I'm still here - from time to time.

Back