What, In Your Opinion, Is Argentina's Culture

let's not forget the juntassssss !!!! 1930 1943 1955 1966 1976 im sure im forgetting some

There are quite many variants of what he supposedly said, never read about behaving like Germans though (I'd prefer to party or go on vacations with Argentinians, but I'd prefer a German as a business partner, lol).
Sometimes it includes "educated by English and wanting to behave like French".

I think it was "behave as if they were French."

If you expand on Peron and Evita and the Italian immigration you have covered like 80 % plus Borges and Martin Fierro. Plus mate, tango, asado and empanadas on the side. :rolleyes:
Wait a second. Argentina also has a large British influence.

Time ago, it was "de facto" a British colony. The British owned every industry, the Central Bank, and printed the money. It all went south with Peron.

Check an Argentine map, and you will see a large number of British names.

If not convinced, check the Argentinian music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGS4g2ReH24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ9ydWGrm1Y

Do you see something strange here? Not what the world think it is.

Argentines deleted any reference to Britain after the Falklands war, but if you see, you will find Britain everywere.

If you expand on Peron and Evita and the Italian immigration you have covered like 80 % plus Borges and Martin Fierro. Plus mate, tango, asado and empanadas on the side. :rolleyes:
when I had just landed here none of this would have made sense but after 4 months here, I see the humor in it :)

CULTURE

/ˈkəlCHər/

Noun

The arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

A lot of things that may well be irritating about Argentina are not, technically, "culture".

Bad Habits, traditions, history and laziness, sure, but Culture they aint.

CULTURE

/ˈkəlCHər/

Noun

The arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

A lot of things that may well be irritating about Argentina are not, technically, "culture".

Bad Habits, traditions, history and laziness, sure, but Culture they aint.

From the example given by the OP, it's clear they meant culture in a broader sense, to include for example (from merriam-webster online)

b : the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (as diversions or a way of life} shared by people in a place or time <popular culture> <southern culture>​
c : the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization <a corporate culture focused on the bottom line>​
d : the set of values, conventions, or social practices associated with a particular field, activity, or societal characteristic <studying the effect of computers on print culture> <changing the culture of materialism will take time — Peggy O'Mara>​

Cultures do collide, and it can be irritating. Believe me - it happens to me on a daily basis.

Back