What is more “third world” - Buenos Aires or San Francisco

It’s still a very beautiful city in many parts of the city. What’s happened over the years (especially since COVID) is that the homeless situation has gotten so bad. They have had very liberal mayors and governmental officials that don’t prosecute criminals stealing in stores and cars. So there is rampant crime and homelessness in many parts of the city.

Just Google San Francisco looting and you will get a good idea what people are getting away with there.

It’s still a very beautiful city in many parts of the city. What’s happened over the years (especially since COVID) is that the homeless situation has gotten so bad. They have had very liberal mayors and governmental officials that don’t prosecute criminals stealing in stores and cars. So there is rampant crime and homelessness in many parts of the city.

Just Google San Francisco looting and you will get a good idea what people are getting away with there.

FYI. Fox News is officially on record, by its own admission last week, of lying repeatedly and purposefully. It's like Rupert said: it's all about the money. Fox News is by its own admission not a news organization, so I wouldn't credit anything it had to report about the last presidental election much less anything about San Francisco.

FYI. Fox News is officially on record, by its own admission last week, of lying repeatedly and purposefully. It's like Rupert said: it's all about the money. Fox News is by its own admission not a news organization, so I wouldn't credit anything it had to report about the last presidental election much less anything about San Francisco.

Remember a week ago when the entire right wing hate machine online was saying Bob Lee of Cash App fame was murdered by some crazy homeless guy, and that it's all the communist-antifa-democrats (despite the Democratic Party in SFO hating the left) fault blah blah blah and then turned out to be another Tech Asshole that did it?

I sure do.

100% this, the Buenos Aires that is places like Reitro/Palermo etc is not the norm. Wonder what the whole food market in Villa 31 is like...
I've been to Avellaneda, San Justo and Lomas etc quite a few times for tinder dates. Never had an issue and it's obvious from looking at me im not Argentinian. Not saying they are beverly hills or I went to a villa but I've had lots of problems in LA and SF, in normal neighborhoods. People who don't live in major coastal elite cities in the US don't realize how bad things have gotten. You can get randomly attacked by a mentally ill homeless or someone tripping on fentanyl. The people who rob you have guns and are not afraid to use them or will just start attacking you. For a Rolex or whatever. We even have follow home robberies where they track you back from a store and rob you as you get home.

Remember a week ago when the entire right wing hate machine online was saying Bob Lee of Cash App fame was murdered by some crazy homeless guy, and that it's all the communist-antifa-democrats (despite the Democratic Party in SFO hating the left) fault blah blah blah and then turned out to be another Tech Asshole that did it?

I sure do.

Yep, God knows no great architecture or restaurants in SF, and no incredible scenic beauty. The weather sucks, because it's rarely too hot or too cold, and only 18% of the city's area is devoted to public green space.

On the up side, I never worry about wearing an Omega watch, using my iPhone, or carrying a messenger bag..
Do you live in SF? I would not wear a Rolex or leave valuables in my car in a parking lot anymore. Public transport is always rolling the dice with mentally ill thugs. They don't enforce laws against shoplifting. A whole foods literally closed down because of the crime. Beautiful architecture but most of it could never get built today

To purchase goods and get mail? BsAs is more third world. To walk the street? SF. No question, and it's relatively obvious I would think. Can you even have lunch on the sidewalk nowadays in SF? Or put any merchandise on the sidewalk? Societal collapse hasn't happened in BsAs, probably due to demographics and if that point is too harsh....don't care; tell NPR about it.

Yeah Fox News sucks. I don't watch it either but you don't need to watch Fox News to know that things have come unhinged in SF. And that's speaking personally from going there personally. (I live in California).

I'm not trying to say that BA is better than SF (or any other city). I tend not to try to compare BA to other cities like that as they are like comparing apples and oranges.

BA is not perfect either. All cities have their issues. It's not just SF. Many cities across the USA have really gone downhill after COVID.

Generally, if you have money in the USA you can avoid any bad areas and be blind to it all if you want to. I live in Southern California where other than cost of living and crazy high prices for housing, rent, food, electricity and just about any other expense, life is pretty good. We do have crazy amounts of homelessness in many cities but fortunately it's limited to just a few neighborhoods. But if you venture down to the areas where all the homeless are, you'd swear you were in a Mad Max movie with tents all over the sidewalk and homeless yelling and screaming at everyone.

Was commenting on this post with my husband,and he was saying that in his opinion it is not so much about politics but about mental illness not being addressed in the US in general,then due to California's perfect weather it just attracts people that would find it a lot harder to survive in cities that get snow, etc. In such a rich and developed country,I fail to understand why there is no universal public healthcare system like the Canadian. Public schools seem to work just fine there.

I fail to understand why there is no universal public healthcare system like the Canadian. Public schools seem to work just fine there.
Canada's healthcare system is also failing, like the US'. People are regularly being told to wait several months, if not years, to see a doctor for their ailments. If they don't want to wait (or can't afford treatment), the government recommends they MAiD themselves (state-assisted suicide). Both Canada and the US have massive homeless, drug, and mental illness problems. Argentina is much better in this regard, but poverty levels here are higher. In Argentina, poor people live in villas. In San Francisco, they live in tent cities. Which is better? That's what this thread is asking.

Back