What Is The Usual Percentage Increase For Rentals?

studiodio

Registered
The first year we rented our house, the rent was 3,600 pesos per month. Second year, 4,000 pesos. Now the landlord wants 5,600 pesos per month for the coming year, a 40 percent raise. I plan to negotiate for a reduction, and wondered if anyone know what is "usual and customary" for rentals.
thanks for your time.

In my case they increased the rental 10 % every six months , perhaps next time will be 15% which I will refuse! propose lower increases every six months.

In my case they increased the rental 10 % every six months , perhaps next time will be 15% which I will refuse! propose lower increases every six months.

what if they ask you to leave if you do not agree on a 15%increase?

It will vary from LL to LL. Make sure you do the math on the increases, especially if you're planning to be here longer, as sometimes doing a smaller one every 6 months will work out to more in the long run, since 10% every 6 months is more than 20% a year.

should be 10-15% every 6 months (we're at 12.5). Also have seen 25% - 30% yearly, more of a shock when it changes but less total than when you do half that every six months. 40%? I don't care what inflation was this year or how much the blue dollar has gone up; that is not standard nor acceptable!! Negotiate or threaten to move.

what if they ask you to leave if you do not agree on a 15%increase?

The increase must be agreed upon, it's not a decree. Claim you will go to the Defensa del Consumidor for a conciliation hearing , plus an AFIP disclosure, Ultimately threaten they can evict you, the eviction process takes months and the contract must have been notarized to have any validity. Also Real Estate agents will require a 50 % commission every six months ? Is this OK?

I live in a bldg. with 150 apts. all kinds of contract situations arise, some tenants are evicted after 6 months of not paying.

Is there a credit bureau report in Argentina? If you ever get evicted from, your bad credit is all over to harm you.?

I am sure their are thick skinned people. However, I would not want to be involved with a tug of war with the landlord over payments, rents, increaments. What a mess!

Any value for peace of mind?

23% yearly increase. I've seen it as high as 35% but I didn't negotiate that one. :)

Back