What is wrong with these people!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ElQueso said:
But that's alright - many people want to ignore the constitution in order to make the world "safe."
And many more want to ignore the fact that the US constitution was written in a different time, and that times have changed.

Is burning witches in the constitution anywhere by any chance??

Bajo_cero2 said:
The issue here is the lack of common sense regulations.
Indeed. With the additional issue that even debating this area is shouted down by the gun lobby, and hence common sense, effective changes are never even discussed.

For such an advanced country in so many ways, the US is so terribly slow to move forward in others.

bomber said:
And many more want to ignore the fact that the US constitution was written in a different time, and that times have changed.

Is burning witches in the constitution anywhere by any chance??

As I mentioned in the rest of what I wrote, if it needs changing, have the states ratify the changes. It's been done before. It's a valid way to change with the times. Ignoring it and writing laws that violate it is how tyranny comes about.

It's the reason that a lot of states have secessionist movements that are seeing increased interest. Texas now has nearly 20% of the population that think secession would be a good thing.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe the US is too big, is trying to cater to too many different viewpoints and desires, and with such a strong, corrupt federal system it is stealing the US populace blind while pretending to care? Do we really need super powers who spend on their military budget equal to what every other nation on Earth combined spends while we go into debt we can never repay without debasing our currency to the point its worthless?

Can we not do great things as human beings without stealing from each other at gunpoint? Where does it stop?

Burning witches isn't in the constitution. But fixing slavery was. It's a shame that it wasn't fixed when the country was started, and it's a shame it was fixed the way it was. But at least amendments were passed outlawing slavery.

Instead of getting in the habit of ignoring the constitution to make change, perhaps the US should be of an appropriate size and common constituency to be able to agree on major changes and amend the constitution accordingly. Otherwise, let the states make their own laws regulating whatever they want and let people migrate to the state that provides a life closer to what they like.

No, makes a lot more sense to force everyone to be the same. Not.

What makes anyone think that changing the law will stop criminals? Criminals dont obey the law.

The discussion is not about criminals in general, it's about the mass killings that seem to happen on a semi-regular basis only in the US. Well, some war torn African countries too. Which is a scary comparison.

Over the last few weeks the debate of so called “assault weapons” and the need to have large quantities of ammo has really heated up. The question has been asked repeatedly why does anyone need a assault weapon.

First of all it isn’t an assault weapon. It is simply a rifle that some people think looks scary. A AR15 isn’t any different than many rifles that is used for hunting or target shooting. Anything can be a assault weapon. If it is used to assault someone.

Simply owning a AR15 doesn’t turn you in to a crazed killer. I have had one for over 25 years and the only thing it has killed is some nuisance coyotes.

Why does anyone need a rifle of this type? Because the intent of the Second Amendment is to guaranty that everyone has the ability to self defense. Including against an attack by a foreign invasion, or against a tyrannical government that turned on it’s own people.

Many Americans have forgotten what the American Revolution was fought over. They think it was over
unfair taxes and tea parties. When it was really fought over the King of England ordering his troops to disarm the colonists. The colonists knew if they gave up their arms they would be at the mercy of the criminals that didn’t turn theirs in. They would also be vulnerable to wild animal attack. While we don’t have to worry about the wild animals like they did back then, the possibility of invasion or a tyrannical ruler is always there. Do the names Hitler and Stalin ring a bell?

If either of the above mentioned events took place, would you want a modern rifle with the ability to defend yourself your family and your country? Or would you wand to have a black powder single shot muzzle loader? I want the most modern high capacity firearm I can get my hands on if either ever happens. I also want to have as much ammo as possible.

That brings up large quantities of ammo. Why does anyone need thousands of rounds of ammo. Have you ever bought anything in a bulk pack? You get a better price. Ammo is the same. If you buy bulk you can find a better deal on it. There are shooters that participate in a wide variety of competition shooting. Competition shooting is just like a athlete training. The athlete trains daily. So do many competition shooters. It is not unrealistic for them to shoot a few thousand rounds a week. They do have a legitimate need for large quantities of ammo.

I take the Second Amendment exactly as it is written. A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. The framers of the constitution wanted to insure that everyone had the ability to defend their selves. Their families. Their friends. And their country.

While I can remember the days of buying a gun without a background check, I don’t have a problem with them. If the background check weeds out those that lie on the form to purchase a gun. The background check is designed to catch the cheaters. Sometimes they slip through. I feel once you pass a background check you should be able to purchase any firearm you want, including a full auto.

New gun laws and restrictions on ammo or magazine capacities isn’t the answer. Even some of the most anti gun politicians have admitted that new gun laws won’t change anything. I feel that enforcing the multitude of laws already on the books is the answer. Back in the days after our country was founded, punishment was swift and harsh. Our laws spell out the penalty if you break the law. It’s time that we enforce those laws and penalties. If you get caught you get the maximum penalty. We have murderers that get out of prison and turn around and commit the same crimes again. And the lawmakers want to take away from the honest people that have done nothing wrong. No matter how many gun laws you make the criminal will always get around them. That’s why we call them criminals. They don’t obey the law. Gun control laws only make it more difficult for the honest responsible gun owners to get the ammunition and firearms that they need to be able to defend their selves, their family and their country if need be.

Our forefathers were visionaries. They saw that one day our ability to protect ourselves would be attacked. They put it down in writing that they recognized everyman had that right and that it was not to be taken away. It’s called the Second Amendment.

bomber said:
The discussion is not about criminals in general, it's about the mass killings that seem to happen on a semi-regular basis only in the US. Well, some war torn African countries too. Which is a scary comparison.

The mass killings arent done by law abiding citizens.

bomber said:
Then why not compare to War Torn places like Sweden and Norway?

bomber said:

I think you need to re-check your geography on that one. The last time I looked at a map Norway and Sweden weren't part of the US. Nor was the UK (bus and train bombings) nor Italy, Greece, France, Israel, Russia, ... well the list just goes on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back