Cool late Autumn days with the leaves falling from the trees under a cloudy sky
Taking coffee for several hours with a good friend
Crema Americana in summer
Not being able to relate to tourists
The (good) street art
The quiet of Caballito
Picadas and vino
Escapes to Tigre

Everybody who lives in the Western Hemisphere.

Clap Clap Clap

The only good thing there was the food, then they started altering it to make a bigger profit.
Ever read about tomato cultivation in Sicily next to dumpsters?
Or about the veggies that grow in Campania where they don't even have legal dumpsters and all the bad stuff penetrates into the soil?
Did you know they found out they where adding white ceramics to dairy products to make them look whiter? This happened near Salerno, in Campania.
And what about that taralli plant (taralli are salty snacks) where they used animal food to save on raw ingredients?

If we Argentines are not doing those things yet, it won't take to long till we get there. We love adopting bad customs.

And how polite Porteño drivers invariably yield to pedestrians.

I was told that here there is no rule to yield to pedestrians, even if there is a crosswalk painted, unless there is a light. Is that true?
I keep risking to get killed because I thought this was a universal rule. Who the hell would paint decoratively crosswalks?!

Lesson 1, Isadora, In Argetina, the reason behind something, a rule, a law a behavior, or anything doesn't really matter. When it even exists, it's so arbitrary that any consideration of it would be pointless,

Lesson 1, Isadora, In Argetina, the reason behind something, a rule, a law a behavior, or anything doesn't really matter. When it even exists, it's so arbitrary that any consideration of it would be pointless,
This makes Argentina different? I don't think so!

This makes Argentina different? I don't think so!

All I'm saying is that the laws we're used to have a reason, whether it's valid or not, but mostly they're uniformly enforced and applied. When here you have senseless laws and cops that enforce them depending on their mood or their daily horoscope, you can simply think that it really doesn't matter why the law exists in the first place.

I was told that here there is no rule to yield to pedestrians, even if there is a crosswalk painted, unless there is a light. Is that true?
I keep risking to get killed because I thought this was a universal rule. Who the hell would paint decoratively crosswalks?!

I once asked a cop on the corner whether pedestrians had right-of-way, and he confirmed they do. When I asked why he wasn't writing citations for violators, he said "That's not my job."

All I'm saying is that the laws we're used to have a reason, whether it's valid or not, but mostly they're uniformly enforced and applied. When here you have senseless laws and cops that enforce them depending on their mood or their daily horoscope, you can simply think that it really doesn't matter why the law exists in the first place.
Absolutely true, I just don't see that as being particularly and Argentina thing. Read the papers from the US, cops there seem to have taken the same attitude towards enforcement, starting with the DOJ.
Its maybe a bit longer situation and more culturally ingrained here,

Back