What's your line of work? AKA - What does everyone do here?

hannstew said:
I work in the oilfield on a 28/21 day rotation giving technical support and training the locals in the host location. I havent actually worked in Argentina since the mid 90's, I just spend my off time here with my Argentine family.

Who do you work for you, if you don't mind my asking? Just professional curiosity. I managed software development for Reading & Bates/Falcon in the 90s and left in 2001 when Transocean bought us out.

I have my own software development consulting business. I came here in 2006 to find experienced programmers at a good price to provide better pricing to my clients and better profits for myself.

Things slowed down to a standstill in 2009 due to the "crisis", I actually got rid of all my programmers at one point, but am now building things back up again.

I came here on a wing and a prayer (see post ref seven years) having worked for myself in the UK and Spain for about 20 years (that long?).
I suppose I became unemployable at that stage, so I wrote a book, published it and realised that it wasn't paying the bills and finally opened a PC shop as I've always enjoyed building and fixing PC's. Seems to have worked and I have to add that I even went for interviews at one stage to call centers at a low point, but swiftly concluded that I'm not the 'happy clappy' type.
I'll plough my own furrow thank you very much. :)

Gringoboy said:
finally opened a PC shop as I've always enjoyed building and fixing PC's.

Has the "post-PC" era affected your business here in Argentina yet?

camberiu said:
Has the "post-PC" era affected your business here in Argentina yet?

I see your point mate.
So many people are using Netbooks/Notebooks etc now.
But no.
I even have people coming in with P3's running Win98.
It happens.

Smcali23 said:
trennod - I came here for the exact same reason, so I totally understand your motives! How's it working out for you here? I got married on 2010, so I'd encourage anyone to do that - as long as they know what they're getting themselves into!

hannstew - That sounds like a seriously interesting job! Where abouts are you based? I'm assuming you must have worked in the industry long before you came over here.

Its had its ups and downs but on the whole definitely more ups. I couldnt be happier with my Tucumana thats for sure and am having a great time here - excluding the negatives I love the life of the city, the opportunity to learn spanish and her culture and weve met some great people. Im not so sure about being here for the long haul and my gf is not a massive fan of this city so once my time is up we will probably move on.

Queso, I work for Baker Hughes in drilling and evaluations.

Smcali, i have been there 23 years. Our main office is based in Houston but because I am a rotator and dont work during the time off, I can be based anywhere really. When I am working, I go where needed, anywhere from Kazakhstan to Bolivia, currently in Colombia.

What do I do? I am studying for my undergraduate degree in Creative Computing with Goldsmiths, University of London. Was a flight attendant with Emirates for 3 years before that. Worked at a bank in Dubai for a year before that and have a Diploma in Economics from London School of Economics. I am 26 and now I want to get a job in the computer industry, hopefully animation industry (highly competitive) if not, then maybe some smalltime job as a Java developer.

Sorry about the long intro style answer to "what do you do?" I am confused about how to answer it straight.

Back