When are apartment prices finally going to fall??

Status
Not open for further replies.
gulabjamun said:
BRazil is only "more expensive" in dollars, as some have already said, cuzz the real is doing well against the dollar (industry, economy, leadership, whatever you say).

But things in general are much cheaper than here. Quality is much better. And for 700 dollars theer you get a much better deal. Trust me.

I'll be back there soon. And happy about it. Besos.

At least in Rio the temporary housing market is extremely difficult right now too and it's very hard to find anything decent, even if you're willing to pay a lot of money. May I ask where you can find these $700 deals...I'd be very interested :D

wandererbird said:
At least in Rio the temporary housing market is extremely difficult right now too and it's very hard to find anything decent, even if you're willing to pay a lot of money. May I ask where you can find these $700 deals...I'd be very interested :D

Hi wanderer.

Belo Horizonte.

That;s not for foregners.

That is a very good building, with gym and sauna, REAL 24h security (no porteros that work only 5 hours a day IF SO), and remember that after almost 5 years in Argentina i did not have a pay check to rpove any income in Brazil, so i had to rent something EXPENSIVE.

I could have rented much cheaper things. Like 700 reales. But that was 1400 reales, furnished, plus bills.

Thats Belo Horizonte. Local contract, best area, in front of Praça da Liberdade. I just walked everywhere, and super safe.

Rio IS EXPENSIVE, and in my opinion should be even more.

But i know nothing of tourist marked in my country cuzz , well , i am a local there and never thought about it. Sorry.

The thing is that I even tried to say to some "i pay you upfront, for the year". This is something i learned in Argentina. But there they followed the laws. Did not accept any months or even a year upfront. Noy yo mention it is the only place i know where you pay AFTER you live, you dont pay the month upfront.

I recently knew an English guy that has 3 apartments in Rio and of course he rents VERY expensive. 2000 dollars?

What i am thinking now is i have some friends there, but as far as i know one of them rented their flat only once to tourists at the end of the year, in copacabana. They live there, so it is not for renting. Perhaps they know of someone?

Thats about it. Sorry.

All of the other lines are much worse

No, they are not. Line A is so much better than the D line. The guys look uglier, and the girls are not blond, but you travel a lot better than in the D line, you see, less buildings in Caballito-Flores, plus a train line and several bus lines.

>>I'm starting to get annoyed at this. In 2008 I rented a place in Palermo with 1 br. and a nice terrace for $800 a month, in a new building with pool. Now that apt. is up to $1200 a month (50% increase in one year!) and for $750 or $800 you can only get a basic studio with no porch. These prices are ridiculous and comparable to the US...why would I pay $1200 in Buenos Aires? I know a lot of expats are just not coming anymore and many have left. Don't the owners and agencies here realize their greed is going to make the market collapse? I'm leaving Argentina.<<

Frankly, I don't think short-term rental prices are unreasonable, considering it's the tourism industry. They're actively targeting foreign markets with stronger currencies and more disposable income. If those foreigners are willing to pay the asking price, why shouldn't owners take advantage? Of course, if said foreigners started refusing to pay those prices, owners would be forced to lower their rents. It's simple supply and demand.

In NYC, $900 gets you one bedroom in a shared 3-bedroom Brooklyn apt, and probably doesn't include utilities. In Palermo, the entire apt. is $900, and includes cable/Internet, utilities, and a weekly cleaning service. For the location and urban amenities, that's still quite a deal (especially when shared by a couple or two friends.) Tourists and expats who are willing to pay higher rents for private furnished apts. will do so, and those who don't want to will look for room rentals on Craigslist or stop visiting. Or do like I did, and find an Argentine girlfriend with an 800-peso-a-month apt ;)

As a extended stay tourist (We've been coming to BA for 1 month a year for 5-6 years), I've got to say that the cost/benefit equation is quickly approaching the turning point. At 1k plus for airfare, 1200 plus for an apartment, new fee's and higher prices for everything else.... you can pretty much travel any where else for similiar costs.

Just returned from 3 weeks in Singapore and Thailand. Hotels in Chiang Mai $45, Bangkok $55, Phuket $100 for a 1 bedroom apartment that was 10x nicer than any apartment we've rented in BA. Food was inexpensive and a 1/2 hr massage for $3. Only downside was more expensive wine and total disregard for the environment in most parts of asia. I'm sure the europeans in Phuket who visit every year where paying 1/2 the price I paid.

We first visited BA in the mid 90's when the exchange rate was 1 to 1 and people where flying to Miami to shop for less $. Yes... the price does matter to most people.
When short terms rentals hit $1500 plus we will move on. I paid less than $100 a night for a room in Madrid last year and I can fly there for $600.

kgerickson99 said:
As a extended stay tourist (We've been coming to BA for 1 month a year for 5-6 years), I've got to say that the cost/benefit equation is quickly approaching the turning point. At 1k plus for airfare, 1200 plus for an apartment, new fee's and higher prices for everything else.... you can pretty much travel any where else for similiar costs.

We first visited BA in the mid 90's when the exchange rate was 1 to 1 and people where flying to Miami to shop for less $. Yes... the price does matter to most people.
When short terms rentals hit $1500 plus we will move on. I paid less than $100 a night for a room in Madrid last year and I can fly there for $600.

You are right and this is true even for Brazilians - many things are just way ore expensive here than there, and lack in quality. And it is not tourists dont have money. What people from here do not understand is the quality versus price is not the best and travellers are no idiots [ok, more than some are...]. Still, they go to other places and they can and do compare.

I lived here thru all the rise of these crazy prices so I understand that not many know how REALLY expensive and unreal it is.

No, people are not targeting a tourism market only. 500 dollars for a "box" in Palermo - call it studio if you want - is not fair nor reasonable in this economy in the long run.

But I guess you have to live here for a while to get to this conclusion, otherwise, people dont want to listen to whatever we say.

And yes, argentines suffer the prices too. But still, paying in dollars here means much more than just converting a fee from pesos into dollars. Means "i will charge you 3 times more and IN DOLLARS even if it is not worth it."

Try to get paid in pesos and pay 500 dollars for a studio (that many say it is cheap) in the long run, just cuzz they say you are a foreigner and because of that you have to pay in dollars. Just try that. Go to 10 inmobiliarias a day and you'll get 10 different answers, as soon and your accent is noticed.

Last thing: as far as I know, there is no line in Argentina's renting laws that say it is legal to rent in dollars. As far as I know, this is illegal. But well, reality is everyone does it, no one does anything about it (government etc) and you poor foreigner friend, are left with no option but to accept it, cuzz you need shelter.

These prices went crazy in 2006. In 2005 my whole flat (2 bedroos) in Belgrano R was 600 pesos, plus 90 expensas. So 300 pesos, and a month in the supermarket, for me alone, was about 100-150 pesos. Ask anyone. Living alone in Palermo, a super expensive dal would be 450 - 500 pesos a month. Expensive. You could find a place for 250.

Please dont tell me to consider inflation. IMHO inflation striked hard again AFTER this, cuzz then everyone HAD to put all prices up, cuzz everyone has to pay their rents, no matter if argentines or foreigners.

2006 was definitelly the year when argetines paid attention to the number of foreigners coming into the country. It was just a LOT of people. And the year I saw more argentines leaving Palermo than ever (a place I actually liked so much cuzz I could see real locals in the streets, almost no foreigner... very different from today), selling their property cuzz there was no better thing to do.

This first move is NOT government's fault. Owners of properties ARE argentines (do not say to me that prices were frozen since 2001... cuzz salaries also were... so what happened is argentine owners were trying to force argentine renters to move out so that they could rent to foreigners... and it worked).

If you live here for years, earn in pesos and are still treated like a foreigner, there is no way to keep paying the bills. I guess thats what people are mainly trying to point out here.

Besos a todos.

gulabjamun said:
500 dollars for a "box" in Palermo - call it studio if you want - is not fair nor reasonable in this economy in the long run.

Short term rental are just that.

The "long run" is irrelevant.

steveinbsas said:
Short term rental are just that.

The "long run" is irrelevant.

Well Steve, not really. Actuslly some said here that 500 dollars were cheap.

Where can you find a 1 bedroom apartment for 750 pesos expensas included in this city, no furniture and no hassle? Not even for the long run... not even in Once, Balvanera or Congreso.

Actually, talking about turning points, what happpened now is that long term rentals came already to a point they are almost the same price of the short term.

And, to be totally fair, I've seen argentines looking for "paquetes" even if in dollars from agencies cuzz that might even be cheaper than having to face 1200 pesos rent + bills [ok, might be not much + expensas (that can be a problem!).

And that is a very strange move and new to me actually.

What the heck is happening to this country.

Saludos.

Did someone actually write that $500 per month is cheap?

For a one bedroom apartment in Palermo or Recoleta it is impossible.

What are you trying to say?

In this context, it doesn't matter what Argentines are looking for.

Foreigners are not in anywhere the same situation as Argentines.

Foreigners cannot rent (easily or legally) in the long run.

I paid $600 U$D per month in 2006 for a one bedroom (beautifully) furnished apartment in Palermo.

Those days are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back