Where can I avail self-defense training in BA

Interesting topic.
A member of my family has recently left the SAS having served in some pretty awful scenarios.
I related to him my experiences of being held up at gunpoint in my shop and he asked me what I did in response and so I told him that I HAD to cooperate.
He said 'you did the right thing.'
I then asked him what he would have done and he replied that he would have done the same.
The point I'm trying to make is that this chap could kill you at two paces with his bare hands, but in an armed assault where you are not armed, it's no contest.
I'm all for defending yourself, but we have to remember that to most assailants, your life means even less to them than their own lives.

nicoenarg said:
I have been looking around for a place where I could learn Krav-Maga. Anyone have any idea where a decent and an affordable place for that might be?

I do Krav twice a week at a gym in Recoleta (Anchorena y Beruti) tho they offer more classes if you're keen. It's extremely practical and you will come out of training bruised and hurting! I previously did Karate which looks impressive but too much focus on things that won't help in a real fight.

The classes are all in spanish (as you'd expect) but for the most part it's easy enough to follow what's going on. I don't know what your level of spanish is like, mine is pretty rubbish

Ceviche said:
But if they rob me when I am sleeping in my house and want to take away my laptop with my data and my back up data and my i phone and my passport and my money ....I have a problem!

I want to be ready!!

If that happens there are 2 choices:

you keep sleeping (if you aren't able to wake up when you first listen to a very subtle sound (and that's what I'd call real self defense).

or

you wake up surrounded by at least two guys with guns asking you (if they are gentle) to give them everything. If they're not gentle they would just hit you in order to keep you quiet, or just for fun.

Self defense is a way of life. You won't learn real and useful self defense in a couple of months. Not even in a couple of years. Real and useful self defense can take at least ten years of hard training.

PS: fear is the first thing you have to give up in order to protect yourself. Most criminals work in the reptilian brain mode, which most "civilised" people forgot. Therefore most criminals can smell your fear and target you, as animals do. Give up your fear and you already avoid one factor to become a victim.

I'll second (or third) the Krav Maga. Similar to Russian SpetzNaz (sp?). Very fluid, improvisational, usefull in many scenarios, doesn't require much brute strength.

Tiro Federal is the place to shoot in Buenos Aires.

You mean Systema.

TFABA (Tiro Federal Argentino de Buenos Aires - Nuñez) is expensive and quite snob. Biggest advantage is that it ain't too far and you have many options/disciplines.
If you are close to downtown and are happy to shoot in a closed range (a line), then I suggest you look at Tiro Independencia (close to Constitución).
If you have mobility and want a more relaxed environment, then you are probably much better heading for the Tiro Federal de Lomas de Zamora (TFLZ) or Tiro Federal de Quilmes.

BASailor said:
If that happens there are 2 choices:

Self defense is a way of life. You won't learn real and useful self defense in a couple of months. Not even in a couple of years. Real and useful self defense can take at least ten years of hard training.

Don't talk like my Grand Daddy, whosoever you are, sailor or carpenter or whatever.

You have no idea about my background, my capabilities, my past, my physical built, my equation with fear etc etc.

Dont talk like a grand dad on all the threads. I am not a baby who needs to be told what to do.

Piss off.

And go and sell your "grand daddy advise" & Chinese puncture therapy to someone else.

BASailor is partly right. It takes time and as the arab saying goes, a long journey starts with the first step.

You can significantly alter your behaviour with small progressive changes. Just the fact that you're thinking about it is big progress.

mellowshipslinky said:
I do Krav twice a week at a gym in Recoleta (Anchorena y Beruti) tho they offer more classes if you're keen. It's extremely practical and you will come out of training bruised and hurting! I previously did Karate which looks impressive but too much focus on things that won't help in a real fight.

The classes are all in spanish (as you'd expect) but for the most part it's easy enough to follow what's going on. I don't know what your level of spanish is like, mine is pretty rubbish

My Spanish is crap but I'm hoping its not going to stay that way forever.

How much do they charge? Or do they work out individual deals?

Ceviche said:
Don't talk like my Grand Daddy, whosoever you are, sailor or carpenter or whatever.
You have no idea about my background, my capabilities, my past, my physical built, my equation with fear etc etc.
I'm sorry. I wasn't writing to you only.
And anyone else's background, capabilities, past, etc., don't matter at all when we talk about a hard training.

Back