Where can I avail self-defense training in BA

bomber said:
it's probably rerepresentative of less than 1% of ...

While everybody is entitled to his opinion, I just love it when people who do not have access to the site stats start to speculate about percentages. We also have many people who are integrated very well into the local community, we have many Argentines here as well. And participation at this site is supposed to supplement other things in your life, and not to replace them.

Good topic for a poll, though. I am going to create it. And will be more representative than any expat survey that has ever been conducted :).

bomber said:
You're seriously taking this website as a good representation of the expat community? You're kidding, right??

As mentioned in another thread, it's probably rerepresentative of less than 1% of expats in BA at any one time, and only of those who make an overt effort to remain active within an expat community rather than mingle & integrate with locals, which is far from all expats.

And this includes any of my views, there's certainly no true representation of any expat views on this site, just various opinions.

Hey dumb ass....no. I don't think it's a representation of the expat community nor did I claim it to be (how in the hell did you come to that summation??), and why don't we broaden my statement. It's extremely hard to find a person living in BA, PERIOD, that hasn't been the victim of a crime within the past 2 years.

You can continue to live in your bubble all you want, make claims about how it's just like any other city along with the rest of the bafoons, but the fact of the matter is there's more crime in BA than most major cities. In addition to there being more crime, there's no repercussions for those that do commit crimes nor is there any policing efforts to prevent such acts (hence the reason why there's more crime). It's as close to the Wild Wild West as you're going to get. To think otherwise is just plain ignorant.

Can we please stay on topic?

There is already one ongoing thread discussing the same stuff you're trying to argue here. No need to hijack or derail this one.

Thank you.

Every now and then there are one day classes of baton / pressure points during a weekend. Those are extremely practical if someone tries to grab you. They will probably set the mood, so you will know if you're up to a more consistant and dedicated type of training.

Hand2hand takes time and practice. It must be combat oriented and not a martial art. Street fighting is not staged.

Knife is messy and to me requires a special mindset, definitey not my cup of tea yet anyone with a knife you bettter not mess with, so carrying a folder is always a good idea. Can get you in touch with the right people.

Shooting can be fun by itself. Takes some time and money to get to where you have a fighting chance and seriously the opportunity hardly ever presents itself.
The stages of learning go through safety, familiarization, static shooting, movement, dynamic shooting and eventually low light. Can help. I know people, people know me.

Mindset training is capital. Without it you'll be caught with your pants down everytime, regardless of advanced combat skills. Build from the basics and up. My realm.

There is a place on Mansilla between Anchorena and Laprida above a medium sized Chino. I haven’t been to it, just picked up a flyer one night as I walked by. I’ll try find the flyer tonight and post the details if I can. If not, and you really want to find out. Decided to do your shopping in the Chino one night and pick-up a flyer/ask.

Most ex-pats I know haven’t been victims of crime and I’ve only met one Argentinean since I’ve come here 6 months ago who’s mentioned being robbed.

The Tiro Federal de Lomas de Zamora has an excelent training class in shooting. It is located right next to the Universidad de Lomas de Zamora,
Camino de Cintura and Juan XXIII Av.
The facilities include two gun shops, several shooting ranges for pistols, shotguns and rifles, a restaurant, etc. You can buy a firearm and ammo there and get all the paperwork done with the RENAR there, (except the criminal records certificate from the Interior Ministry).
This can be done with less hassle in the CGP Nº 4 in Av Roca 5552, Villa Lugano (the same place where you obtain the city´s driver licence), and 3 other CGPs.
The certificate will cost 55 pesos for a 24 hour procedure and 30 pesos for a 5 day waiting period to obtain it. You will have to print it later with a PC.
Also on saturdays you can get all the medical certificates in the range, photos, etc; plus you can attend the required class and perform the shooting abilitiy test (very easy).
Regarding a shooting training class, I would advice you to contact the range´s instructor Nestor Bufi (1556248753/1569913318/ 699*5475
He is one of the few civilians in this country holding a CCW licence.
www.nestorbufi.com.ar
[email protected]
The 5 classes (one theoretical and 4 practical) will cost only 300 pesos I think.

Nice thread. I have been looking around for a place where I could learn Krav-Maga. Anyone have any idea where a decent and an affordable place for that might be?

To the OP: Its nice to know how to defend yourself but you might want to reconsider what you'd stand up for. I am in total and complete favor of self defense. It is the worst kind of feeling when your life, and worse, the life of your loved ones, is in the hands of some unstable, trigger happy moron who might not just be happy with getting all your material things and might, for the fun of it, decide to pull the trigger.

So just be careful where you use self defense. It can get you killed unnecessarily if you don't know what you're doing but it can also save your life and more importantly the lives of your loved ones if you do know what you're doing.

Bomber, and others who jumped in horror, the reason people would consider self defense training more in Buenos Aires rather than in, say, Perth is that the police department in Perth is way more capable than it is here in Buenos Aires. That's a fact that can't be denied. Its as simple as that. So yeah, I think a lot of people do come to South America and think they need self defense classes because the force that is supposed to protect you at times robs your damn property while you're passed out in your car. Or just stands idly by while some thugs rob you or kill you in Plaza San Martin.

So that's that I guess.

I believe Insane Bolt is doing classes on "Legging it rapido style" in the event of an altracation!!

HenryNisental said:
Regarding a shooting training class, I would advice you to contact the range´s instructor Nestor Bufi (1556248753/1569913318/ 699*5475
He is one of the few civilians in this country holding a CCW licence.
www.nestorbufi.com.ar
[email protected]
The 5 classes (one theoretical and 4 practical) will cost only 300 pesos I think.

Nestor is a good guy to learn the basics.
To get your Gun Owner's Licence (CLU) you better do it all at the TFLZ. Most of the paperwork can be resolved in one day and the Card will take a couple of weeks to show up. Guesstimate is you'll spend close to AR$ 600 for the whole deal.

STAY CLEAR of the gunshop inside the Club. One of the partners went AWOL recently and the other is still picking up the pieces. No special offer is good enough, take your biz elsewhere.

By the way, I jusy received at my door, an excelent book from the US titled PERSONAL DEFENSE FOR WOMEN, by Gila Hayes.
If anybody wants to browse thru or copy it, pls let me know it.
Of course, the CCW issues shown in the book are non-issues here, since in this country carrying a firearms without a licence is heavily penalized (for now).

Back