Where can I get a cheap cocktail?

NicSun

Registered
I've been here for about 6 months and I've noticed that cocktails are often the most expensive item on many menus. At many of the bars/restaurants the cost of a cocktail is the same price as an entree. I.e. Bife de Chorizo w/ side for 40 pesos, gin and tonic 38 pesos.

To combat this I usually order local beer or house wine when I go out but I have friends coming to town next weekend who enjoy spirits. Does anyone know of any affordable drinking holes?

Of course the obvious answer is to avoid Palermo Hollywood, Puerto Madero and the like, so please don't let that be your answer. I'm asking for actual locations in town where a person can sip cocktails that are priced proportionately with other goods in Argentina.

Thanks in advance!

Not to be a "aguafiestas" (partypooper) but I would serve the cocktails at home. Most local restaurants don't have a clue on how to serve even a standard Martini, let alone anything more complex.
Good coctails are only available at moderate to expensive restaurants and hotel lobby bars and cost upwards of $25,00.

Hehe I know a bar in Lanús where you get great cocktails for 20 pesos but that probably is not what you wanted to hear.

I just go to the bars in the center during happy hour times when I want to drink cocktails. When you get 2 for the price of 1, it is not that expensive any more. Not always a solution, I know. Looking forward to see a few good recomendations in this thread.

Sugar if you want to try it..... 8 peso beers and 8 peso mixed drinks 7-12 every day... it is cheap rum vodka etc.... for that price... but quilmes pints at that price isnt bad... it will get you there hahahahahaha well good luck in your search!!!

I agree cocktails at home, and suggest your friends pick up a few bottles at the duty free.
Nancy

I third or fourth the cocktails at home. Otherwise, maybe Bangalore for their happy hour gin and tonics (If memory serves, last I checked the pitcher with tanqueray was $28)? Happy hour would be the way to go (check around Bangalore area for whether they do HH at the tiki-esque bar on the corner, or Carnal), or Sugar. Cocktails are expensive out, end of story!

Cocktails are expensive out, end of story!

Pretty much sums it up! Though I'd also add that in addition to being expensive, cocktails here generally suck. My first time at a Palermo bar, I went through major drama after I ordered a "dry martini," and was given some horrible pre-mixed swill out of a bottle :eek:

That said! Piola makes some killer mojitos. Not cheap (25 pesos, last time I was there), but they are essentially very tall glasses of pure, sweetened rum, so one is quite enough. I also had a lovely girlie cocktail at Miranda, but once again, about 25 pesos. If you're looking for anything decent below 20 pesos... yep, gotta make it yourself.

NicSun said:
that are priced proportionately with other goods in Argentina.

Newsflash:

The alcohol that goes into those cocktails you want isn´t from Argentina and is often more expensive than it is in other parts of the world. Why should it be proportionate to the price of the food?

Of course you can always go to sugar or some place like it and pay 8 pesos for a cocktail made with 10 peso bottles of liquor, but do you really want to drink that shit?

If you want something proportionately priced go for some Argie wine. For 80 pesos you can get a few wines that are much better than what you can find for 20 bucks back in the states.

Or just drink beer.

If you don't mind horrible service, Benihana's at Alto Palermo has good cocktails for reasonable rates (under 20 pesos) during happy hour 4-8?

Back