Where else to live?

Can't say I really see the point in questions like this. Different people like different things. One persons nirvana is another persons hellhole. Everybody has to find their own place. Its a big world and plenty of options to chose from.

My personal choice is a place I have already lived, Italy. I lived in a small city in the Northwest corner of the country on the ocean. It has a symphony, an annual musical festival that's quite well known, several opera performances during the year. It was an hours drive to Nice, less to Monaco, drop dead gorgeous scenery. The area has all the culture you could ever want, great food, nice people, good public transportation. We rented an furnished apartment there with an ocean view for 900 euros month. We got health care for about $185 dollars a year. This was about 10 years ago. Prices are probably not a whole lot higher today but the exchange rate of the dollar to the euro is a lot less favorable today. Of all the places I've lived this would be numero ono on places I would consider returning to.

Berlin, as I've mentioned before. Comparatively cheap rent for a major European city, with all the culture anyone could want. Pretty doggone cold in the winter though.

sergio said:
Prague?

I think the issue is what place is close to the cost of living in BA but has more to offer. That's how I see it anyway. I'd be willing to spend a bit more if I could get what I want.

I'd like to be in Europe. France appeals. I know that Paris is too expensive but what about provincial cities in France? I've heard that small towns have property that is relatively inexpensive but even if this is true there are issues of visas and medical care. After getting well established in BA it is not easy to make a move but I'd be interested in hearing from somone who has made the tradsition to Europe. Are there any blogs like this in some of the European cities?

After neary 8 years in BsAs we're upping sticks to Spain in July. Personally I love France but as we are keen for the kids to remain tri-lingual, with Spanish a key language, Spain wins out. We've been scouting since last year and sent family to school interviews from Cadiz to Cordoba but will decide for sure in August. Great expats site established which covers all of Spain: www.spainexpat.com. Of course it helps we have great staff to run our company in BsAs and Brazil so we can work at a distance and bi-annual visits..Spain is not for the job hunters, as per many European countries.

Fifs2 - I'm sad to read you're leaving. Can I ask what prompted your decision to leave after being here for that long a time? (Unless it is too personal of course!)

I'd like to be in Europe. France appeals. I know that Paris is too expensive but what about provincial cities in France? I've heard that small towns have property that is relatively inexpensive but even if this is true there are issues of visas and medical care. After getting well established in BA it is not easy to make a move but I'd be interested in hearing from somone who has made the tradsition to Europe. Are there any blogs like this in some of the European cities?

Indeed. There are English-speaking expat sites for almost every major European city one can think of. We'll actually be in that position soon: as of 2012, spending the majority of the year in Europe, with extended trips to Buenos Aires every 6-12 months. We're not looking to move someplace "cheaper" (I think that's just setting yourself up for resentment), but rather a place with better professional opportunities, more stability, and a higher quality of life.

citygirl said:
Fifs2 - I'm sad to read you're leaving. Can I ask what prompted your decision to leave after being here for that long a time? (Unless it is too personal of course!)

Thanks Citygirl - I feel we have shared some common ideals and ordeals in this crazy city! To be honest we were always discussing a move back to Europe for a better quality of life and closer proximity to our aging parents in Ireland and Sweden. But as you may recall we were made victims of some pretty scary blackmail last year - so fear for our safety and that of the kids was needless to say a driving force to expedite the move. We sold the house and moved to an anonymous location and with the help of a rather famous penalista we managed to legally stop the attacks just recently...but we will still be looking over our shoulders waiting for a new attack and believe we will be happier and safer in Europe but visiting Argentina regularly. To be honest knowing Im leaving BsAs soon has made me fall in love with it all over again...I can only see and remember the great times we have had here so I will be happy to leave on a very high point.

If you wanna life quality why dont you get your a..s back to the US ?? or japan or any another superpower??. We have good quality life!!.. but this its only affordable for people from HIGH standart of life. I can bet that you dont know how they live their lives.
Here its everything what you could looking for everywhere, the only thing that you couldnt find here its a strong middle class, so thats why too many think that the country havent quality life!. But once again "They are too wrong"!. The quality life its here, but its hard to get it, simply as that.

About prices outside BA: restaurant "El Mangrullo", right on the lake of San Miguel del Monte, 110 km from Belgrano-Palermo:

Morcilla: 5 pesos.
Lomo de ternera (big enough): 24 pesos.
Coca-Cola Light 1 liter and a half: 10 pesos.

No service charge. Everything tasty and good quality. Now compare with prices in BA. I used to say that prices outside BA (not in San Antonio de Areco or other places frequented by Palermitanos) were only 30% lower, now they seem to be 50% lower!

Let's go there, how long does it take me to get there and go back to my home in BA and how expensive is the trip by bus, train or combi?

Where else can you buy a bottle of tolerable red wine for under 10 pesos?

Back