Where else to live?

I'm a perma-traveler, and lived in BA for about six months last year Dec - June 2011.

Like a lot of you, I'm always looking for the perfect city to live in... for a while.

Earlier this year, I was living in Bangkok (pricey, and overrated imo), and then in Southern Thailand (Ao Nang/ Krabi), which was nice, low-cost, but got boring.

Anyhow, I thought I would share a city I'm currently living in that is a little off the radar that might appeal to some of you.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I've been living here for the past 5 months and really like it.

It's a big city with a somewhat cozy feel. The French legacy here has left an incredible cafe culture that rivals Paris, imo. The internet is super-fast, and hands down it's one of the best value cities I've ever lived in.

There are a ton of serviced-apartments here as well. I flew here on a Wednesday night, had 4 different commission-free brokers show me 5 places a piece the next day, and moved in that Friday morning. I had a new home set up in less than 48 hours.

I pay $700/ month for a brand new serviced apartment with a balcony, all utilities (electric, A/C, internet, etc..) included, housekeeping 3 days a week, security guard, and they do all my laundry and dry-cleaning for me.

The leasing terms are in 3-month increments.

Also, the visa situation is super easy. You can do a pre-arranged 3-month multiple entry visa, which you pick up on arrival. You can then extend it once you get here without leaving pretty much indefinitely.

This city has an insane motorbike culture. I happen to love motorbike cultures, so it was easy for me to get integrated. That could be a big downside for some who are afraid of riding on a motorbike, but I find it to be the most efficient way to get around a city.

I pay $50 usd/ month to rent a new motorbike. Fuel runs me $6 usd/ week.

The city is really safe, and on the up swing. No gun crime here.

While the clubs are nowhere near the craziness of BA, there is a pretty awesome club, and late night scene here, and you can find more than your fair share of trouble.

I have to be back in the states in September for a few months, which will dictate my next move.

I was planning on moving to Medellin in November, and then making my way back to BA around March.

Should I reconsider? Should I just head back to Saigon? lol - :) Tough problem.

How about Amsterdam? It's very cosmopolitan, lot's of green spaces, quietness -even in the centre-, very good Indonesian and Thai-cheap food places, relax inhabitants, no gun-criminality.
The weather sucks here though. That's why i escape in the winter, usually to Barcelona. Next winter I've to be in BsArs again and I don't like it, although I'm half-Argentinean: the quality of life/services/goods is terrible and bloody expensive. But I've to be there for my work and I'll escape BsArs and work from a hostel or whatever in Rosario or Salta where people are human-friendly, don't have that shitty "mala onda porteña" and food is good and affordable.
In Latin America Colombia has interesting places to love for a while: Medellin (clean, subway, politeness, lot's of parks), Santa Marta on the Caribbean.
I discovered Chiang Mai in Thailand and I'm sure I'll stay there long if I could.

JonM said:
I'm a perma-traveler, and lived in BA for about six months last year Dec - June 2011.

Like a lot of you, I'm always looking for the perfect city to live in... for a while.

Earlier this year, I was living in Bangkok (pricey, and overrated imo), and then in Southern Thailand (Ao Nang/ Krabi), which was nice, low-cost, but got boring.

Anyhow, I thought I would share a city I'm currently living in that is a little off the radar that might appeal to some of you.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I've been living here for the past 5 months and really like it.

It's a big city with a somewhat cozy feel. The French legacy here has left an incredible cafe culture that rivals Paris, imo. The internet is super-fast, and hands down it's one of the best value cities I've ever lived in.

There are a ton of serviced-apartments here as well. I flew here on a Wednesday night, had 4 different commission-free brokers show me 5 places a piece the next day, and moved in that Friday morning. I had a new home set up in less than 48 hours.

I pay $700/ month for a brand new serviced apartment with a balcony, all utilities (electric, A/C, internet, etc..) included, housekeeping 3 days a week, security guard, and they do all my laundry and dry-cleaning for me.

The leasing terms are in 3-month increments.

Also, the visa situation is super easy. You can do a pre-arranged 3-month multiple entry visa, which you pick up on arrival. You can then extend it once you get here without leaving pretty much indefinitely.

This city has an insane motorbike culture. I happen to love motorbike cultures, so it was easy for me to get integrated. That could be a big downside for some who are afraid of riding on a motorbike, but I find it to be the most efficient way to get around a city.

I pay $50 usd/ month to rent a new motorbike. Fuel runs me $6 usd/ week.

The city is really safe, and on the up swing. No gun crime here.

While the clubs are nowhere near the craziness of BA, there is a pretty awesome club, and late night scene here, and you can find more than your fair share of trouble.

I have to be back in the states in September for a few months, which will dictate my next move.

I was planning on moving to Medellin in November, and then making my way back to BA around March.

Should I reconsider? Should I just head back to Saigon? lol - :) Tough problem.

I was amazed at the motorbikes in Saigon... on weekends a bike might carry a man, his wife, 2 kids and a pig, en route to visit family. When I was there 10 years ago there were very few traffic controls so swarms of bikes would drive into a big intersection and meet a swarm entering the intersection on the other street. No one swerves or slows down. Somehow they usually survive.

I particularly loved the beautiful beaches (I think they were in the Da Nang area), and of course the wonderful people.

But I think I'd prefer living in Phuket with its proximity to Bangkok.

A friend moved from Florida to Chang Mai awhile back and is very happy there.

Vietnam used to have an exit visa scam. The exit visa was supposed to be automatically issued on your arrival but officials would often skip it. The unsuspecting traveller would then show up for departure without the required document thus being in violation of Viet law and having to negotiate a penalty while sitting at the airport watching his plane loading for departure. I dont know if they still do this.

Panama City if you are retired. 20% off almost everything for jubilados. Too bad I don't qualify. I used to live there and I really miss the great weather. But not as many cultural events though.

I have a home in Riomaggiore , Cinque Terre Italy. It is very beautiful and I have a ton of friends and family. I rent the house in season. Near big cities , culture , etc....
Italy is not cheap , but as with anywhere , if you are careful with your pesos/dollars/euros , etc... you can live well.

mariano-BCN said:
How about Amsterdam? It's very cosmopolitan, lot's of green spaces, quietness -even in the centre-, very good Indonesian and Thai-cheap food places, relax inhabitants, no gun-criminality.
The weather sucks here though. That's why i escape in the winter, usually to Barcelona. Next winter I've to be in BsArs again and I don't like it, although I'm half-Argentinean: the quality of life/services/goods is terrible and bloody expensive. But I've to be there for my work and I'll escape BsArs and work from a hostel or whatever in Rosario or Salta where people are human-friendly, don't have that shitty "mala onda porteña" and food is good and affordable.
In Latin America Colombia has interesting places to love for a while: Medellin (clean, subway, politeness, lot's of parks), Santa Marta on the Caribbean.
I discovered Chiang Mai in Thailand and I'm sure I'll stay there long if I could.

I am thinking the 1500/2000 euro appartments are not accesible for most foreigners without actually get a good paying job in Holland and your chances of getting one without EU citizenship are slim to none.

Lisbon? You pay euros, but not that much of them as elsewhere in the EU.

sergio said:
Cold is what I like. Despise heat and humidity. Have you lived in Berlin? I have heard that it is becoming a major cultural center of Europe with affordable housing.

Not becoming, is. Now its just getting really touristy.

mariano-BCN said:

Cause housing is expensive here. Youre in Amsterdam too?

Back