Where To Get Plain Greek Style Yogurt Or Organic Plain?

They have regular plain yougurt in grocery stores, its not organic though.

EdRooney - How do you make yours? Do you use the oven light method? I'd like to carry on making yogurt once I move on from BA/ while travelling and would love to be able to do this without a yogurt maker if possible. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Arielm - because you mentioned organic (I know not everyone here is a food hippie, if you're not please disregard this part), I thought you might be interested in finding the yogurt with the shortest ingredients list. Here, for the mass market yogurts, it's probably the Sancor Natural . Here is the ingredients list of the 'natural' unsweetened Dahi:

Leche fluida entera, leche descremada en polvo, suero de queso en polvo, cultivos lacteos especificos, vitaminas A y D, estabilizante, gelatina, pectina.

Hope this helps!

I am also a fan of plain greek yogurt, which you cannot find here to buy in supermarkets. The yogurt called Griego is NOT greek yogurt, so don't be fooled! It's just thicker slightly less sweet yogurt. I always buy San Cor brand Yogs firme natural:

http://www.sancor.com/gxpsites/hgxpp001.aspx?1,13,128,O,S,0,SEC;32;6;SEC;PRD;189;PRD;,

It's the closest thing I have found in a reasonable price range without having to travel half-way across the city. They sell it in any supermarket, but will often run out so if you don't see it they are probably just waiting for the next shipment. I add a but of honey and fruit/nuts and it taste-wise it gives me a greek yogurt fix. :)

We have 2 methods, depending on available equipment:

1. Decommissioned crock pot. Retains heat for hours.
2. If crock pot is otherwise occupied, Essen pot wrapped in towels and stuck in the oven. (Oven has 2 giant stones for bread baking, so it retains heat pretty well).

Either way, not only is a yoghurt machine not in our foreseeable budget, but I've yet to see one that produces the quantities we need. Mrs Ed cackles with ridicule at little pots of yog.

This said, if you have any tips for getting a thicker end product it would be much appreciated (aside from straining; too lazy). Sometimes I wonder if our starter is having diminishing returns or something, but what looked like the Yogs Firme a couple of years ago is now closer to the bebible end of the spectrum.

Thanks and happy yoghurting!

Greek Yogurt's bad for the environment -- the whey they strip off of it is toxic. Buenos Aires / Argentina already has enough waste problems to deal with, maybe we should be happy that they don't produce real Greek-style yogurt here.

http://theweek.com/article/index/244610/is-greek-yogurt-killing-the-environment
http://modernfarmer.com/2013/05/whey-too-much-greek-yogurts-dark-side/

Edrooney: crock pots /essen pots are out of my budget, or so I thought... tips for where to get a cheap one here? Yogurt machines can be found on Mercadolibre for 100 - 200 pesos, typically, and with the big bowl I can make 2L at a time. I like the oven with warm bread stone idea, I may try that as I have both of these things! For thicker end product, you could try adding powdered milk if you haven't already.

Straining requires putting it in a colander over a plan and sticking it in the fridge, 30 seconds of active time and so worth it! Also, if you like breadmaking (I've got a sourdough starter on the go at the moment, fingers crossed, it's my first time), the whey is good for that and an almost infinite number of other things besides (gardening, fermented foods, skincare etc etc etc). I put any leftover on my compost pile.

syngirl: this has been in the news since the end of May this year, yes. It's not toxic in and of itself, but as with most things it's how it's dealt with/ disposed of. Cheese whey poses similar dangers, but since that hasn't been highlighted in the media, toxic yogurt whey is what people are talking about at the moment.

syngirl: this has been in the news since the end of May this year, yes. It's not toxic in and of itself, but as with most things it's how it's dealt with/ disposed of. Cheese whey poses similar dangers, but since that hasn't been highlighted in the media, toxic yogurt whey is what people are talking about at the moment.

Yes I know exactly what they are talking about, and I also know about the cheese whey issues --- that has been in the news for sometime as well. Have you seen how Argentina deals with / disposes of waste? In the city, pretty much everything goes down the drain untreated, and plastic gets dumped all over the country (I can send you my pics of Santiago del Estero if you like -- from there to Termas de Rio Hondo it's 60km of garbage dumped in the desert). In half the factories/plants surrounding Capital you've got heavy metals leaking into the ground. Greek yogurt would be just another toxic headache that you really don't want to hit here.

Oh and for those that are buying organic, they may not be using chemicals on their plants now, but the soil that most of that stuff is growing in would never even come close to approval for organic farming elsewhere.

we've only been here 2 weeks, but i can't figure out where to get not-super-sweet yogurt. I lived on greek style yogurt in the US (organic to boot) - i'd be so happy to give my kids something akin to plain yogurt and add a little sweet stuff but what i'm finding is so sugary. Any alternatives? Thank you!

Other day could swear I saw some plain Greek yogurt in Jumbo.

I like Yogs plain non-flavored but its not Greek style. For people who make their own, can you please link to a good instructions site or video? I tried it a few ways, it only came out ok once.

Back