Which Has The Better Economy: Argentina Or Chile?

Which Country has the Best Economy?

• Argentina

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Chile

Votes: 20 80.0%

• Total voters
Yes, all statistics are wrong. Google should have contacted you first before building their data center there.
In reality Jumbo is an Argentinian company, not a Chilean one.
Aerolineas will be buying LAN any moment now....any moment.....any second......Just wait.......

No offense taken to yr sarcasm dude. You have a right to yr views, absolutely.

Lets just agree to disagree, politely.

I travel to Chile all the time . And not to Santiago but various smaller cities. No way Chile's economy is better! Trust me on that.

I trust YOU but should we Distrust, all major International organizations that rate Chile way above Argentina. ???

Believe it or not, I have a pretty good insight on what criteria were used to decide for this specific LATAM data center.
Knowing that there are pretty smart people working at Google - it would really surprise me if they chose the location by looking for the better economy and not other factors. And when looking at their European locations this proves my point ...

I trust YOU but should we Distrust, all major International organizations that rate Chile way above Argentina. ???

I don't know about you.

But I just trust my eyes. I just trust what I see with my own eyes.

In fact, I am shocked when I read about all the talks going on for visa free travel to USA to be allocated to citizens of Brazil and Chile in 2014. If anyone deserves that first, it is citizens fo Argentina. They are the least likely to stay put in USA after a tourist visit.

I don't know about you.

But I just trust my eyes. I just trust what I see with my own eyes.

In fact, I am shocked when I read about all the talks going on for visa free travel to USA to be allocated to citizens of Brazil and Chile in 2014. If anyone deserves that first, it is citizens fo Argentina. They are the least likely to stay put in USA after a tourist visit.

So anecdotes > data. Regarding the Visa Waiver Program, if it were based on INDEC's stats rather than the US State Department's, Argentina probably would be the first of the three. Chile, though, ranks highest on the list and should receive waiver approval before the end of the year.

Africa%20Satellite%20Large.jpg

Wrong. Inequlality means distribution of wealth, you need to the africans richs become statistical representative, I mean, you can also say about the example of the Sheik in Middle east, where they have their oil and the rest is condenated to poverty. The thing is, that to measure inequality, you must take decils, you divide society into ten, and take the richest decil, and compare it to the lowest -the most poor.
So, to sum up, The richest in Saudia Arabia, Africa, etc, do not represent statistically any stratus of any kind, because they are not a number, while in Latin America the 10% richest represents a lot more of people.

Yes and your reality that many do not agree with . By the way your books on Argentina are most unknowleagable and even my 12 year son could write better than you !

With just 35 years' experience in the country, 32 of that married to an Argentine, and having traveled extensively through every Argentine province, I will of course defer to your ability to fabricate words like "unknowleagable" (which, no doubt, your 12-year-old son will have learned from you).

Germano I see a lot of rebutting of statistics from you, but without much (any) evidence to the contrary, why don't you put forward some real statistics and evidence to support your case that the Argentine middle class is proportionately larger and/or better off than their counterparts across the Andes?

I tend to agree with most of what camberiu has put forward (and we have had this argument countless times already on the forum).

I know of quite a few Argentines that have moved to Santiago and the only Chileans I see here are those coming for free study. But that's not an indicator of the standard of living and size of a countries middle class, otherwise Argentina is actually better economically than Canada and Australia :cool:

If you go to Santiage de Chile, you see better infrastructure and a cleaner, more organised city. You have greater selection & cheaper goods. Most of the economic and social indicators are higher than Argentina, and this has not always been the case. You also don't have 30% inflation, currency controls. Corruption is much lower and bureaucracy/red tape significantly less (its much quicker to open a business in Chile for example). Crime is lower. These things all impact on quality of life, significantly.

Oh and by the way, the distribution of wealth being much larger and Chile is an interesting one. What is the proportion of the Chilean population living in villas? There is a helluva lot of wealthy politicians and businessmen (that own TV stations, supermarkets etc) in Argentina as well.

Oh and by the way, the distribution of wealth being much larger and Chile is an interesting one. What is the proportion of the Chilean population living in villas? There is a helluva lot of wealthy politicians and businessmen (that own TV stations, supermarkets etc) in Argentina as well.

I ve said a lot of times here. The 70% of the inhabitants of villas in Argentina are immigrants. Mostly Bolivians and Paraguayans, and first generation, which means, people before them (who probably convinced them) have prospered here. Argentina has very different policies than Chile when it comes to immigration. Thats why lots of people of poorer neighbouring countries come here more than to Chile.

Back