Which Is The Best Country For Immigrants?

I think young partiers would probably prefer Argentina (well, Buenos Aires at least - less "boring") and more established people, possibly with families, Chile (not a great party scene maybe, but more stable).

I've seen people mention the class thing in Chile before and wonder - where is it exactly between among SA countries that there isn't a heavy class distinction? My family being Paraguayan worker-class, maybe I see a lot more of it here than most, but the class distinction here isn't just between Paraguayans (or other MercoSur immigrants) and Porteños.

Having said all of that, I haven't been to Chile, so I can't comment specifically to that country aside from it seems that I hear good things from people who want to live a calm, boring life (like me!) and the opposite from those who like to party all hours of the night (like my 17 year old sister-in-law!).

This is something I didn't want to believe before I moved to Chile, either. But sadly it is true that - at least from my experience - Chile is very "clasista".

Your mini-diatribe lacks only adequate punctuation and coherence.

And I am sure that you treat your wife with the disdain you treat us all here in Argentina . Go back to the Shilenos and your beautiful Santiago .

And I am sure that you treat your wife with the disdain you treat us all here in Argentina . Go back to the Shilenos and your beautiful Santiago .

Certain individuals invite disdain, but my wife and the great majority of Argentines are not among them. Perhaps you should look in the mirror more often.

Samiam just sounds like he's practicing up to be a troll to me. Nothing more than that.

About countries, This has already been more or less already said but here goes--it depends on the expat. As far as I'm concerned, if anything the problem is too many choices, which is probably why the question was asked. Each country has different characteristics that are unique and so a person almost needs to live anywhere a while before deciding.

If a person likes beaches, in my opinion, Uruguay's beaches are the place to be. Yes Argentina has beach but it isn't the same. But Argentina has incredibly beautiful lakes and mountains to the west for the mountain person (that's me!) If you're health conscious, Argentina has about half their food genetically modified (statistically, I don't know how that is allocated) and Uruguay has no genetically modified food except corn and soybeans. There's a lot to be said for Ecuador. I like it here because if there is ever any serious problems like they had in Santiago, Chile once when GWB was there--and so was I--i want to be able to walk down the street in a place where no one will recognize me as an outsider. Uruguay is damp in winter, meaning it is overcast and you feel the cold, Argentina is more arid and there is a lot more I will stop there because I think you understand. I don't think any country is best for expats. It depends on the expat. I'm not even getting into Chile and Paraguay or Colombia. Even Colombia is worth considering now--depending. So I don't think we can answer that question for you. I have a hard time answering it for myself!

A few years ago I was on the catamaran from Puerto Chacabuco to Laguna San Rafael with a group of Swedish tourists led by a Chilean who had lived in exile in Stockholm. I asked him how difficult it was to adapt to local culture there, and he told me that Swedes greatly resembled Chileans in that they were publicly reserved but privately very outspoken. As a Swedish-American who has spent a great deal of time in Chile (though only minimal time in Sweden), his observations really resonated with me. Even allowing for individual variation, I think it's fair to say that Argentines are more socially outgoing than Chileans, but this changes as you become more familiar with Chilean culture and make Chilean friends. It's simply a slower process there.

As to whether Chileans know how to party, Santiago in particular has a very active nightlife scene, and Chileans know how to carretear: "Carreteando (partying) implies alcohol, which is what generally makes it different from the Spanish word most people know, fiesta."

A few years ago I was on the catamaran from Puerto Chacabuco to Laguna San Rafael with a group of Swedish tourists led by a Chilean who had lived in exile in Stockholm. I asked him how difficult it was to adapt to local culture there, and he told me that Swedes greatly resembled Chileans in that they were publicly reserved but privately very outspoken. As a Swedish-American who has spent a great deal of time in Chile (though only minimal time in Sweden), his observations really resonated with me. Even allowing for individual variation, I think it's fair to say that Argentines are more socially outgoing than Chileans, but this changes as you become more familiar with Chilean culture and make Chilean friends. It's simply a slower process there.

As to whether Chileans know how to party, Santiago in particular has a very active nightlife scene, and Chileans know how to carretear: "Carreteando (partying) implies alcohol, which is what generally makes it different from the Spanish word most people know, fiesta."

A famous ethnologist said once that the Chilean Population is one quarter mapuche, one quarter Jewish (the converted Spanish/Andalusian Jews that came with Columbus, marranos), A quarter Visigoths, and a quarter Basque...!!

ypu may publish this...!!

I gotta agree with Arlean. I think it really depends on the expat themself. Now, with that being said it could be argued that certain countries will be harder for expats from particular countries to ajust to compared to others. Language, climate, alphabet, religion, etc.

For me I chose Argentina due to a few reasons, mainly it being the one that had the highest likely success rate IMO. While I do like it here (most of the time) it wasn't my first choice. I wanted to live in ItAly but the economy and EU visa laws and my inability to have the sufficient documents need to obtain my Italian citizenship/passport in less than a few years killed that. Second was back home to the USA, but this didn't work because the economy is still meh, school is expensive, and I didn't want a small change, I wanted a real one.

Finally there was the other small ideas that cake across my mind: Colombia, Australia, China, and an island somewhere, all not passing due to (in order) job prospects, distance from North America/flight cost, language/visa rules, and reality.

I'm ok living in Arge, and I do sometimes feel like I settled or that it's more 3rd worldly than I though, but I think of all the places I could go it was the best choice, and even though I plan to live in the USA, Italy, China, and Australia in the future, I need some "practice" living abroad and this is a good testing ground.

I enjoy living in Buenos Aires but, after a few months, the bronca begins to set in. My wife would like to spend as much time in BA as I do, but her job is more stationary. For what it's worth, she no longer has an Argentine passport, but Migraciones does not charge her the retaliation fee (she does have a new DNI, though). I could easily get residence, but I've never bothered with it.

I think both Chile and Argentina are both beautiful countries and the same for their people, although I seem to recall the people in Chile not looking as happy as they do here in Buenos Aires. I think its more about personal preference. I did find Santiago a little boring and I definitely much prefer Buenos Aires.

Back