Who are the future BAEXPATS?

I'll be arriving in Oct this year. Getting married in Ireland, going on honeymoon and returning back 'home' (for my fiancé) to BA. She's been gone for 10 years but we've been back for holidays, and have regular contact with friends & families. We're going back to be near her side of the family having been exposed to the Irish branch for a few years. We've arranged internal transfers with our current employers and fortunately have a couple of apartments, so we won't need to factor in rent or mortgage payments. We may sell one or rent it out (in Palermo) to the tourist market should it hold up.

First trip over i had a smartphone 'disappear' after i was using it in the queue for a DNI (new one for my OH) under Palermo Alto shopping centre, previously my partner has had a gun pulled on her whilst using an unfamiliar remis....we're still very excited to be coming back. We're not sure for how long, but for as long as it lasts we're itching to get over....post Honeymoon of course!

SaraSara said:
Probably Steve is right and Lee was drunk when wrote that awful post. But alcohol just removes inhibitions and exposes the true self.

More than help with substance abuse, he needs help in dealing with the source of his vitriol and hatred. I hope he gets a good shrink, here or wherever he moves next. Life is too short to waste it carrying such a heavy burden.

I'll drink to that.

Still here as well, and whilst I am heading back to ireland in October, along with my Argentine Partener, I will only be "home" for 6 months to sort personal things out (and see my son married) before returning for the long haul. Still love it here, maybe because I don't live in the hub of the city I have a different perspective.

dUBLIN2BA - We have a good network of Irish Ex-pats here, so get in touch when you arrive - always nice to have a touch of home when away from the old sod.

Future ex-pats: thousands of Europeans (especially Spain). Their numbers are growing every day in BA.

I'm still planning on moving down in a few months. I'm one of those parasites that can make his living working remotely, as long as the connectivity and infrastructure is reasonably good, so my experience may not be the most representative, especially in terms of what the local economy has to offer in terms of sustainable living wages and so on. But I'm not moving down for the great economy or durable business environment; I I have no delusions about those things.

Steve, I see your profile shows you spend part of your time in Costa Rica. From a business standpoint and government interference, how does it compare to Argentina? I am familiar with the country itself and I know that culturally and architecturally, it does not compare on that score.

arlean said:
Steve, I see your profile shows you spend part of your time in Costa Rica. From a business standpoint and government interference, how does it compare to Argentina? I am familiar with the country itself and I know that culturally and architecturally, it does not compare on that score.

Arlean, If you are asking me, perhaps you have been looking at someone else's profile.

I've never been to Costa Rica.

My "Location" in the upper right corner of my posts indicates Coosta Atlantica, Provincia Bs. As.

It is one place

I have a friend close to the AR government who tells me about lots of talk about being worried about all the foreigners coming in and raising the bar. That person told me the requirements to come in were about to be raised. I am a retiree and the last renewal I did the income requirement was raised $500US and others were raised, as SteveinBA says, only MUCH more than $500. I heard there is fear that the culture will be changed with too many of a different culture. And of course that is correct. I decided to put in for citizenship before I get priced out of the market. I can see it happening. Argentina often changes their laws with people right in the middle of the stream and leaving no recourse.

arlean said:
I am a retiree and the last renewal I did the income requirement was raised $500US and others were raised, as SteveinBA says, only MUCH more than $500.

If the income requirement was raised for the visa pensionado by $500 USD what is the current amount? I don't think anyone has every posted an exact numer for for it, and it has never been specified on the migraciones website, though I haven't checked recently.

Are they applying the new level for renewals or just new applicants?

I'm surprised they didn't made it the same level as the visa rentista when it increased from $2700 to $8,000 pesos imn 2010. They have to realize that a foreigner living on $1000 or less per month probably can't afford private health or dental care and is geting it at the expense of the government when publisc health services are sought.

I won't be surprised if they raise the income level for the rentista visa (perhaps by 50% or more) in the yext year or two as well.

Hi there,

it is my first post on the forum, though I have been reading regularly other posts.

I have been to Argentina for 6 weeks from mid August until the end of September last year, of which 4 weeks in Buenos Aires.

I am planning to go back to Buenos Aires for several months at the end of this summer, but not more. I have considered moving permanently to Argentina, but I quickly realised this would not be realistic, because of the horrible state of the economy. All costs are lower in Belgium, including the rent, because I live in a house of my mother and she does not ask much rent. So I will come to Argentina for the experience, but I will not stay because of the economy.

For me personally, one bad thing about Argentina is the wealth tax for residents. I have been grown up with the thoughts to study well, work well and save money. I have some money now I can fall back on in case of needs. I will set up my own company and work on some ideas without having an income for a year to fully concentrate on my ideas and while doing so, I might as well live in Buenos Aires, which would be a greater experience from my point of view than just living home. However, if I would stay too long in Argentina to be considered a resident, I'd have to pay a 0,75% wealth tax on saving I did not earn in Argentina.

Then of course you have other problems in Argentina like the peso/dollar conversions and the import restrictions. Funny the way they seem to think: to stop inflation, the peso/dollar rate has to be fixed. To fix the peso/dollar rate, a positive trade balance is required. To have a positive trade balance, imports are restricted? What next?

I think Argentina has 2 major problems of which one is the zero sum thinking typical of Mediterranean countries and related cultures like probably Latin America. Though I will start another thread about this topic, to not hijack this discussion.

Back