Why do you choose Argentina?

Sorry but lets get back to reality - Argentina has 40% poverty levels. Extremely high unemployment (masked by the fact so many people work for the Government or in politics). A currency that no one will trade with. Extreme inflation and massive issues with crime. It is NOT first world.
Here's Los Angeles, the wealthiest city in the wealthiest state in the wealthiest country. I love Buenos Aires.

Oh, this is stinky bull droppings. Food stamps is only 200 USD per month, and you can lose your benefits at any time for any reason or no reason at all. You don't even get any warning; just the 1st of the month rolls around and you got nothing. You go to the office and they tell you, "oh yeah, your benefits were canceled because (insert any of 3 dozen arcane bureaucratic excuses)"

For two whole years I was on SNAP (aka food stamps). I know exactly what I'm talking about. When was the last time you depended upon "Public Assistance" to eat? No, I'm not proud of it. Truth be told, I am ashamed to admit I was that far down and out for that long. I am terrified by the thought of being that hopeless again. I'd almost rather die first.

Social safety net, my hairy ***. People say things like this and it just makes me too angry for words.
Here's LA.

There is no way I would be able to retire in the states. And I owned my home free and clear. And have a decent backup savings. But my social security would not even pay my monthly bills. A single medical accident or illness would wipe me out, even with Medicare and supplementary insurance. Here I can live like a decent human being and have enough to help others. No country is perfect, but I love Argentina. And I am here to stay.

Did any of the people here praising Argentina and denigrating the US come to Argentina on a one way ticket with a $1000 in their pocket?

Those who are able to enjoy Argentina do so because they came with the privilege that being born or raised in the 1st World/or into money gave them.

Start from scratch in Argentina and its a whole different story.

All Starbucks in the USA are required to let homeless, drug addicts, beggars, sit in their cafes and use their bathrooms without making a purchase. Homelessness, crime, disease, racism flourish in the USA. So consider that before complaining endlessly about Buenos Aires.
FTR (For The Record) I can't ever recall complaining about Argentina or Buenos Aires. (No place is perfect.) I accept it for what it is and for what IT IS NOT, and I like it very much as is.

Did any of the people here praising Argentina and denigrating the US come to Argentina on a one way ticket with a $1000 in their pocket?

Those who are able to enjoy Argentina do so because they came with the privilege that being born or raised in the 1st World/or into money gave them.

And so what? Does that mean I shouldn't be here? I don't get your point. As I said in the US ,I would be living very close to the edge of disaster. Here, I am comfortable. And this is wrong why? I have as much sympathy for the destitute here as I have for the destitute in the US. Here , I have enough to be able to help others. Do you want all of us with US dollars to go home or hate Argentina?

And so what? Does that mean I shouldn't be here? I don't get your point. As I said in the US ,I would be living very close to the edge of disaster. Here, I am comfortable. And this is wrong why? I have as much sympathy for the destitute here as I have for the destitute in the US. Here , I have enough to be able to help others. Do you want all of us with US dollars to go home or hate Argentina?
I don't see a contradiction between your point and what TWB103 is saying.

Reality is: Argentina is economically so much worse off, that for people towards or at the end of the professional career (mostly elderly people) it makes much sense to move to Argentina. Lets say you have savings in the 300k-500k area and a monthly income of 2k. This person in the US is somewhere in the lower middle class. In Argentina this person moves easily into the top 5% bracket (where the cleaning lady gets 150 USD, a teacher not much more, a doctor probably 700 USD a month). You can go to restaurants, enjoy the cultural life, and don't need to worry about medical services. And there is nothing wrong with that, quite the opposite. Not everyone is able to make such a move (be it for not being open minded, language or whatever). I would recommend this to anyone in this situation.

But you are only much better off here because the country is economically doing so much worse then the USA. Quite frankly, the comparisons here between Argentina and the US are laughable. If you do like for like comparisons there are worlds apart (teacher here and teacher, doctor for doctor, engineer for engineer etc).

So to me it makes all the sense in the world for people like you to come here. And it makes (probably as in the case of the first poster) as a relatively young professional to emigrate and make a career in the US or in Europe. You might fail there, but at least you get a fair chance to make something out of your life. Here the cards are heavily stacked against you if you want to progress.

I was born in one of the poorest country on the planet and lived first 20 years there.

The issue isnt the privilege itself but that person having that privilege (that their terrible country gave them) and acting as if their experience in Argentina is that of a typical Argentine's.

One argument is how expensive cost of living is in the US. The idea that an Argentine could afford anywhere half decent in any half decent city in Argentina on an average single salary is ridiculous. Also good luck buying a new car, top rate health care, going on holiday, consumer goods....

I was born in one of the poorest country on the planet and lived first 20 years there.

If you came with nothing and made a good life in Argentina then fair play to you but thats not a typical experience. Most come with money and don't really live like a typical Argentine but claim 'living' in Argentina is superior to the US whose benefits they still enjoy.

Back