Why Does Everyone Here Seem To Hate Buenos Aires So Much?

Ok guys, I admit I did not read the entire thread. Too long for me.

So its a imposter, as I understand?

I just got back from 8 days in the US. Do I think the US is perfect? Hardly. But yes, it was refreshing to park my car on the street and not worry, to use my laptop/phone/leave my purse sitting on a table without looking over my shoulder, to drive on well-maintained roads, to have a million different choices of food options, to be in and out of the bank in 15 minutes, all the while taking out a big chunk of dollars without an issue, to have a million choices while shopping and pay next to nothing for high quality clothes, electronics, etc. All of the above are hardly unique to the US obviously, the same things happen in many, many countries. Just not Argentina. And that kind of thing can depress you.

US is not perfect but much better than many places. US is in fact one of the cheapest place in the world for a decent quality of life, a modern, technological one, that is. I came back from a 10 days vacation from California and have been missing it since... the only thing that bothered me was the jam on the I-5 going into LA - didn't expect it, stupid me. In fact, I decided not to visit any other places in Argentina after 2 disappointing trips to Mendoza and Bariloche, to save money for a good trip to the US. That said, I am a shallow person who enjoys modern life more than nature, trek tripping...

I just got back from 8 days in the US. Do I think the US is perfect? Hardly. But yes, it was refreshing to park my car on the street and not worry, to use my laptop/phone/leave my purse sitting on a table without looking over my shoulder, to drive on well-maintained roads, to have a million different choices of food options, to be in and out of the bank in 15 minutes, all the while taking out a big chunk of dollars without an issue, to have a million choices while shopping and pay next to nothing for high quality clothes, electronics, etc. All of the above are hardly unique to the US obviously, the same things happen in many, many countries. Just not Argentina. And that kind of thing can depress you.

Well said. And every time I return to Canada it is exactly those kinds of things that I appreciate the most... The quiet... The cleanliness... The EFFICIENCY... and the RESPECT... My god!!! The respect!!! but then a funny thing happens... After a couple weeks... I get a feeling... Like an itch that needs to be scratched... I go to incredible parties in Canada with my friends and they all have beautiful houses... Expensive cars... And all I want to do is come back here... The funny thing about all those amenities we miss so much..? Is that they trap us... If there is a single truth about living in Argentina... It is that it forces you to live simply...

I ride a bike... I don't even have a car... My couch is a freaking futon... A word I haven't even used since college... and the rest of my living room is basically lawn furniture... My Canadian friends and family would be mortified to see how I live... My Argentine friends don't even bat an eye. In a very strange and IRONIC turn... The very things that frustrate me living here are also the reasons I am here...

It is easy to become focused on 'stuff'... And in a very real way that same focus or drive has made North Americans so successful. The free market so strong. While there is no sense comparing the stability or safety or freedom of opportunity between the two cultures... I put the Argentine appreciation and enjoyment of life..? on par with anyone.

I have sort of followed this and think it's a little funny we now have 14 pages of comments about why everyone hates B.A. I, for one, don't hate it. Most of the people I know manage to love AND hate it at the same time. Maybe THAT's the real problem! Maybe that makes us all schizophrenic. :D

City Girl comments on the RESPECT, as she states it, in Canada. I find incredible respect here. Maybe it's just my neighborhood. I've posted before how things are, in my neighborhood, and the fact that I don't know if it's a little capsule of civility here in BA and the storm rages around us--or what. The people here even pick up the dog poop.

I have a place I like to go for coffee (described on my web page with photos) where I sit many mornings with their great coffee and contemplate the state of the world. Lots of people walk their dogs there, and I watch them pick up. However, I just came in from my balcony where I was watching people in front of the stores hosing and sweeping so maybe there is just some dog poop I never see--but whenever I see it happen it gets picked up.

My portero is great, my neighbors are wonderful. A few days ago I met a young english-speaking Argentine downstairs and she told me she is in 2A and if I ever need anything, let her know, she lives there with her cousin and they both speak English. I live in Florida when I am in the States and I can't remember that ever happening there. But it does here. The weather is fantastic. No rainy or dry season, just gentle rain every now and then to keep the trees green. No chemtrails! At least not that are detectable by me. Naturally blue skies.

Now . . I could write you another post of what I don't like about Argentina. You don't wanna know!

Aside for City Girl, there is a place, not too far away, where you can set your purse on the table and not constantly be looking over your shoulder. It is just across the river--Uruguay. It completely escapes me how two countries, divided only by a river, can be so different. You can see the difference by just looking on the street the way the women handle their purses there as opposed to Argentina. I could spot an Argentina woman walking down the street by that alone. We look out after that purse all the time.

There ARE purse snatchers there too, but it isn't quite as common as here.

Aside for City Girl, there is a place, not too far away, where you can set your purse on the table and not constantly be looking over your shoulder. It is just across the river--Uruguay. It completely escapes me how two countries, divided only by a river, can be so different. You can see the difference by just looking on the street the way the women handle their purses there as opposed to Argentina. I could spot an Argentina woman walking down the street by that alone. We look out after that purse all the time.

There ARE purse snatchers there too, but it isn't quite as common as here.
Our 1st day there ( Montevideo ) 5 or 6 years ago, pic pocketed. Not a successful one here YET!
Nancy

Back