Why I Gave Up My American Passport (Fatca)

Many factors play into this decision. I still have family there so I don't see me giving up my citizenship anytime soon.

However, if things continue to go the way they are going I could see me renouncing my US citizenship in favor of Confederate States of America (y'all).

CSAFlag_zps07499c48.jpg

You'll notice the majority of the people in that article who renounced their U.S. citizenship live in countries with relatively stable economies. That makes dropping citizenship much easier, I imagine.

I don't think Argentina is stable enough to make renouncing U.S. citizenship viable. In this country, if you have the means, it seems wise to keep the door open to get out easily.

I can't remember if I posted here before I have a friend who lives in Paraguay who renounced his U.S. citizenship. And he doesn't have any other. I thought at first he was kidding when he wrote me that but he scanned his paper and sent to me to prove it. He is stateless. I don't know what pushed him over the edge. I hope to go to Paraguay in a few months and I'll find out then--I think.

I can't remember if I posted here before I have a friend who lives in Paraguay who renounced his U.S. citizenship. And he doesn't have any other. I thought at first he was kidding when he wrote me that but he scanned his paper and sent to me to prove it. He is stateless. I don't know what pushed him over the edge. I hope to go to Paraguay in a few months and I'll find out then--I think.

I for one would be interested to hear more about that story.

From what I understand, once you renounce US citizenship, there is no getting it back. You can become a legal resident though.

Richard P I've also heard that isn't true. But as crazy as things are getting in the world any more, who knows? Commodorius, I'm sure I'll include more about it in Four Flags Journal once I see him. Any more no one wants to tell me much of anything by email. It is interesting though that several countries have an agreement to give citizenship to anyone in their country who is stateless. So theoretically it could be a fast track to another citizenship. I don't know of anyone who has done it though--but until now I never knew anyone who was stateless. .

Many factors play into this decision. I still have family there so I don't see me giving up my citizenship anytime soon.

However, if things continue to go the way they are going I could see me renouncing my US citizenship in favor of Confederate States of America (y'all).

CSAFlag_zps07499c48.jpg

You might have to do that sooner than you think.

US denies entry to German writer and NSA critic Trojanow

Questions have arisen after the German author Ilija Trojanow was denied entry to the United States, apparently without reason. A colleague of the writer claims his call for clarity about US spying activity is the answer.

You might have to do that sooner than you think.

US denies entry to German writer and NSA critic Trojanow

Questions have arisen after the German author Ilija Trojanow was denied entry to the United States, apparently without reason. A colleague of the writer claims his call for clarity about US spying activity is the answer.

That is why I haven't sold my farm. 40 acres in the middle of nowhere, 15 dogs, water and food for 90 days, semi-automatic firearms and 1000's of rounds of ammo. Don't ignore the NO TRESPASSING sign. :)

From what I understand, once you renounce US citizenship, there is no getting it back. You can become a legal resident though.
Not quite. Once you renounce your citizenship, you can apply to become a naturalized citizen and then, after the usual waiting period, you can become a (full) citizen again. Great article about that very subject on BBC today.

Back