Why Still No Buenos Aires-Colonia Bridge?

Tell that to the amazing bussiness of Buquebus and Colonia Express that go to Colonia several times a day.

And usually not with full boats. I think there is a small demand for a link between colonia and bsas and that that demand is being adequately served by the existing ferry service. I don't think there is anywhere close to the demand which would justify a colossally expensive bridge to Nowheresville, Uruguay.

It seems to me that you never went to Uruguay by Entre Rios, the queue of trucks is ENORMOUS, because it is indeed very fluent the traffic between Arg and Uru. Also lots of Brazilians that come to Arg by Uru or even the traffic between Chile and Bra and Uru goes for Entre Rios.
And just the argentine tourist demand on summers was the leitmotiv to build a 350 kms highway between Colonia and Punta del Este, cause the rest of the year is empty, especially the 200kms between Colonia and Montevideo.
So if only this vacation demand made that route, it perfectly can make a smaller work as it is the bridge.

I dont like the bridge. I preffer things how they are. But if its done the bridge will be a success, no doubt of that.

It seems to me that you never went to Uruguay by Entre Rios, the queue of trucks is ENORMOUS, because it is indeed very fluent the traffic between Arg and Uru. Also lots of Brazilians that come to Arg by Uru or even the traffic between Chile and Bra and Uru goes for Entre Rios.
And just the argentine tourist demand on summers was the leitmotiv to build a 350 kms highway between Colonia and Punta del Este, cause the rest of the year is empty, especially the 200kms between Colonia and Montevideo.
So if only this vacation demand made that route, it perfectly can make a smaller work as it is the bridge.

I dont like the bridge. I preffer things how they are. But if its done the bridge will be a success, no doubt of that.
Argentine tourists may have been the motivation for that route, but building a 4 lane highway is a lot cheaper than a bridge of the sort being talked about in this thread. Argentine tourists also pay for that route with the tolls (which are expensive).

I guess it depends on what your definition of success is. Would people use it? Probably. Would its benefits justify its cost? Seems unlikely.

...and that sports fans, is what we call a cost benefit analysis.

It's what those unfortunates who cant print their own makey up money do before embarking on expensive long term projects.

I hear that Colonia Express are buying a new boat with the intention of increasing frequencies.

Argentine tourists may have been the motivation for that route, but building a 4 lane highway is a lot cheaper than a bridge of the sort being talked about in this thread. Argentine tourists also pay for that route with the tolls (which are expensive).

I guess it depends on what your definition of success is. Would people use it? Probably. Would its benefits justify its cost? Seems unlikely.

Apart from the amazing number of trucks, there are tons of people who cross to Uruguay by Entre Rios, on a daily basis, and not from Entre Rios or surrondings but from Buenos Aires, Rosario, etc. That, added to the respectful number of people who travel by Buquebus and Colonia Express every day (I repeat, its not that they go to Colonia once a day but several times, there are Country Clubs in Colonia, in Carmelo, for argentine people who live there and travel every day to Buenos Aires). This, without considerating the millions in summer. And also the fact that the mere presence of the bridge, will automaticaly create demand.

Lots of people. So it would be a great bussiness.

And I doubt that the bridge would cost more than 350 kms of highway.

And I doubt that the bridge would cost more than 350 kms of highway.

That's because you live in peronist fantasy land where inflation is 10% a year, insecurity is just a sensation, there is no cepo al dolar, and building the world's longest bridge 45km across the rio de la plata would cost less than 350kms of highway built along existing roadways with no major engineering difficulties.

The new SF Bay Bridge is just over 7km and cost around 6.8 billion USD, though some report the total cost (beyond labor and materials) to be over 12.

Back