Why would anyone come to this country in this century?

flee is not an accurate description. i just don't want to live forever with the constant economic issues/constraints and headaches this country brings. i've been here 5 years already, that's about enough for me.
Argentina is a very difficult country to live in if you have business dealings or have a business here. The very cyclical economy the extremely high inflation . the massive devaluations of the local currency make planning near impossible and cause many long sleepness nights . I feel though that Argentina has turned a corner even though on paper it looks disastrous . Here in Bariloche the economy seems to be on a upward cycle and there are many new bars , shops, and restaurants opening up now . There is a huge influx of new people mainly argentinians coming in from Capital Federal and other provinces . This has caused also many problems especially with prices and the rental market.

I myself will continue with Argentina even though it has been mean to me at times . I feel that the world situation is very unstable and I certainly would not move to Europe of North America atm . The Russia Ukraine conflict has all signs of escalating and of course the economies of the world are unravelling now with record inflations and also a devaluation of their currencies , Argentina is very self sufficient in natural resources and world conflicts have always historically favoured Argentina as it is the last frontier on the planet with wide open spaces and very low population . I have noticed of late a record number of expats wanting to move here to Argentina not seen since the boom years of 2003 to 2010 . This trend will continue as long as our borders are open as this country for people with good financial means is imho the best option to be now for many reasons that are too numerous to detail here .

Argentina is a very difficult country to live in if you have business dealings or have a business here. The very cyclical economy the extremely high inflation . the massive devaluations of the local currency make planning near impossible and cause many long sleepness nights . I feel though that Argentina has turned a corner even though on paper it looks disastrous . Here in Bariloche the economy seems to be on a upward cycle and there are many new bars , shops, and restaurants opening up now . There is a huge influx of new people mainly argentinians coming in from Capital Federal and other provinces . This has caused also many problems especially with prices and the rental market.

I myself will continue with Argentina even though it has been mean to me at times . I feel that the world situation is very unstable and I certainly would not move to Europe of North America atm . The Russia Ukraine conflict has all signs of escalating and of course the economies of the world are unravelling now with record inflations and also a devaluation of their currencies , Argentina is very self sufficient in natural resources and world conflicts have always historically favoured Argentina as it is the last frontier on the planet with wide open spaces and very low population . I have noticed of late a record number of expats wanting to move here to Argentina not seen since the boom years of 2003 to 2010 . This trend will continue as long as our borders are open as this country for people with good financial means is imho the best option to be now for many reasons that are too numerous to detail here .
i tend to believe that a lot of those people with those dreams of moving here don't really understand the difficulties.

i tend to believe that a lot of those people with those dreams of moving here don't really understand the difficulties.
Argentina can make you very cynical if you have a business here . But for those who are outside of the system earning a good foreign currency working online its one of the best countries of the world . Saying that there are many Argentinas and not all the country has the same experiences of life . I now much prefer life outside Buenos Aires with frequent trips there though as to enjoy the unique buzz of the city . Saying that its a very different city from 2005 when it really felt like a energetic vibrant city . The changes there since the pandemic have made only a few neighbourhoods desirable to live in . Recoleta . Retiro , centro , San Telmo seem much more desolate and forlorn now . Palermo Niuevo . Palermo Soho , Nunez , and the Northern Suburbs seem by far the best neighbourhoods of Buenos Aires now !

Needless to say, everyone´s situation is different. If I ever get well again, I would love to return to Buenos Aires or perhaps one of the other major Argentine cities. I am sure the typical Argentinian earns as much as I do. Most are having a rough time now, but the cost of living in some of the
wealthy countries would be completely out of the question for people in my income bracket. I would get so much more for my money overall in Argentina, even in Buenos Aires. I feel Buenos Aires is perhaps the most beautiful, sophisticated city in the Americas. It has a decent climate,
very good public transit, spectacular architecture, history, high standards of education and medical care. I assume they still have super affordable tetra packs of wine in convenience stores ? There are beaches in the area. Argentina has a lot going for it.

One thing everyone here is kind of ignoring, either because it's so normal, or it doesn't apply to them, is that basically all expats are evading taxes. Although practically no one complies, the thought of legally needing to give up half your already taxed income is sickening. Let's take a California person making 100k. The take-home is 68k after taxes. Now imagine giving up half that to be left with 34k. If Argentina ever gets the means to really enforce this, who in their right mind would move here?

I'm here because my job brought me here. once this is up, I'm going elsewhere.
Same boat here. There is a major difference between "I'm here to retire and do whatever I want everyday with no timeline or care in the world" and "I'm here to do a job and live a life and then try to be a go between for corporate American and a country that doesn't really care that much a out anything".

For me because i'm from country that is so much worse than Argentina in every possible way, economically, politically, etc. Also it has good passport that is somewhat possible to obtain, and Argentina is not closed for me like most other countries in the world. Argentinians often says that their country is the worst place on planet, but it's not true at all, everything is relative, at least they don't have wars and crazy dictators, that's already good enough for me. For example i'm in constant trouble just because i have my citizenship, no matter where in the world i am.

One thing everyone here is kind of ignoring, either because it's so normal, or it doesn't apply to them, is that basically all expats are evading taxes. Although practically no one complies, the thought of legally needing to give up half your already taxed income is sickening. Let's take a California person making 100k. The take-home is 68k after taxes. Now imagine giving up half that to be left with 34k. If Argentina ever gets the means to really enforce this, who in their right mind would move here?

Argentina needs a Portugal-style tax holiday for certain categories of expats like retirees and gig workers.

My analysis is Absolutely Subjective, I speak Spanish, like European type culture and ethnicity, enjoy local weather , etc. I have spent time in Thailand and must say the language and the culture are impossible to assimilate and participate, the hot humid weather as well is not my favorite. If the cost of living wasn't such a critical factor, I would select the South of France or Spain.
I've spent a few weeks a few times in Thailand and as unoriginal as it is to say it, I really liked it there. I think the humidity is manageable by the beach, even in the monsoon season. Of the places I've been to in Asia it's my favorite so far.
Moving to or from Argentina? Either way I agree, the grass is always greener, and while I don't consider myself an expat because I'm literally naturalizing as an Argentine citizen, and I've worked for years to learn Spanish and don't have any intention of leaving, I still have the privilege of a career that more or less hedges against inflation compared to most Argentines, and while not rich, I want for nothing in the grand scheme of things, which isn't most people's reality here.

If you have passive income or are already wealthy to begin with then moving here would let you live a quality of life most people in the US and Europe don't even have, but much like those that express the deepest desire to emigrate from Argentina, they tend to be people who aren't aware that the country has been an economic basket case for 65 of the last 75 years.
People don't like when I mention this either, but this isn't an expat/foreigner in Argentina specific thing to be fair. Nobody, poor, middle class, or rich here actually pays unto Caesar what he is owed, and I don't blame them, and would argue you'd be foolish to do so.

We live in a country that doesn't even pretend to follow the social contract (this criticism doesn't imply the US or Europe does btw). Argentina pisses away the tax revenue it does get on stupid shit like subsidizing Aerolineas Argentinas or Vaca Muerta, buying pesos on the global forex market with dollars to prevent a devaluation, and just pure, unadulterated graft.

Forget the people here who have obtained tax residency status that don't pesify, or under declare their income, the average Argentine is willing to pay in cash for a discount because they know that tax revenue not paid wouldn't be going to fix the potholes or get cancer meds for the hospital anyways, it just ends up in things like that convent, or the "Rosadita", or being offshored by the Macris, or Cristina's double privileged pensions + salary, or ñoquis working 12 days a year for a state salary and pension. If you went to McDonald's and after paying for a Big Mac combo your fries were cold, half eater, there was no Big Mac sauce, and your coke was actually water, you'd be reluctant or completely unwilling to pay full price too, and for good reason.
For me because i'm from country that is so much worse than Argentina in every possible way, economically, politically, etc. Also it has good passport that is somewhat possible to obtain, and Argentina is not closed for me like most other countries in the world. Argentinians often says that their country is the worst place on planet, but it's not true at all, everything is relative, at least they don't have wars and crazy dictators, that's already good enough for me. For example i'm in constant trouble just because i have my citizenship, no matter where in the world i am.
Are you living here already? Would you mind sharing where you're from? I think this is an interesting prospective we often forget; as many problems as Argentina has, it truly can always be worse.
Argentina needs a Portugal-style tax holiday for certain categories of expats like retirees and gig workers.
I really doubt this will happen even with a PRO government. I'd argue that repealing Comunicación “A” 6770 1/9/2019 and/or eliminating the cepo makes the most sense.

Hell, just modify it so that people can bring in dollars via the CCL exchange rate and oblige them to pay their contributions in dollars or at the CCL exchange rate would be something, you'd see a big decrease in the amount of people working en negro because of how increasingly difficult it is to do so.

but that childhood dream has now been reversed and I hope to be living in Argentina by the time I'm 40 :)
Agree with everything you just said and guest what? Got back here to enjoy CABA when I was 40, so good luck with that and don't pay attention to the usual naysayers, I already told my friends "si alguien mas me pregunta que hago aca lo cago a palos" :p

Back